Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 12/28/2012, 08:22 AM   #26
mkbtank
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolius View Post
I think I'd rather have a giant pacific octopus...

.. for the hugs.
That is awesome!

Unread 12/28/2012, 08:44 AM   #27
gpx1200
Registered Member

that pic makes me wonder... is she trying to put the octo back or is he trying to pull her in?

Unread 12/28/2012, 12:38 PM   #28
LeLutinBanni
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpx1200 View Post
i'm curious to know wear you get this(probably made up) statistic.
their is a post on tonmo called octopus bites and allmost everyone on that site that has kept more than one octo and interacts with them has been bitten at least once thats a little more than 0,000001%
i'm not telling the op to buy a blue ring or not i'm just sick of peapole posting misinformation based on hearsay or imagination, between mantis shrimp and octos their is enuf bogus info floating around the internet to fill an encyclopeida set.
but i will add that one of the coolest parts of owning an octo is the interaction like hand feeding and other forms of contact that would be a very bad idea with a blue ring for this reason i would recomend an a. aculeatus, o. briareus or o. hummelinki
i have 2 aculeatus now and plan to get a briareus next. i have not been bitten..yet

First, you dont interact with a blue ring the same way you do with a briareus.

Unread 02/04/2013, 06:40 PM   #29
SantaMonica
Registered Member

And I was thinking a viper was an octo

Unread 02/04/2013, 06:44 PM   #30
GSMguy
Registered Member

Just get a cobra or a mamba at a herp show.

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
Unread 02/21/2013, 08:53 PM   #31
mthomp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpx1200 View Post
i'm curious to know wear you get this(probably made up) statistic.
their is a post on tonmo called octopus bites and allmost everyone on that site that has kept more than one octo and interacts with them has been bitten at least once thats a little more than 0,000001%
i'm not telling the op to buy a blue ring or not i'm just sick of peapole posting misinformation based on hearsay or imagination, between mantis shrimp and octos their is enuf bogus info floating around the internet to fill an encyclopeida set.
but i will add that one of the coolest parts of owning an octo is the interaction like hand feeding and other forms of contact that would be a very bad idea with a blue ring for this reason i would recomend an a. aculeatus, o. briareus or o. hummelinki
i have 2 aculeatus now and plan to get a briareus next. i have not been bitten..yet
I guess because you dont interact with a blue ring like you would other octopuse

Unread 03/01/2013, 10:49 PM   #32
Mangodude
The Clown Tang Keeper!

still looking for one?

Current Tank Info: Too many
Unread 03/05/2013, 10:19 AM   #33
Caronte
Registered Member

Mine past away a year ago... Main problem with them is that they're short living. I am looking for another one too

Unread 03/09/2013, 03:55 PM   #34
SoLiD
-=Snake=-

Looking for another one??? Hence your avatar... lol

Current Tank Info: Where you'll find an Acan and Orange Ricordea Garden in Bloom...
Unread 03/23/2013, 08:12 PM   #35
biecacka
Registered Member

@solid....Yes that avatar is VERY fitting
Corey

Unread 04/11/2013, 02:51 PM   #36
thelizardkin
Registered Member

There are exotic snake owners who keep very deadly venomous snakes and your chances if being bitten by one of those is probably a lot higher than being bitten by a blue ring

Unread 04/11/2013, 03:37 PM   #37
SoLiD
-=Snake=-

I'm not arguing with you biecacka... There are many different levels of "CRAZY".

Current Tank Info: Where you'll find an Acan and Orange Ricordea Garden in Bloom...
Unread 04/13/2013, 01:03 PM   #38
thelizardkin
Registered Member

If you do get one I'd build a custom acrylic tank with a sump, and make sure there's a grate to keep the octo from going down the plumbing. also I'd add a lid with a lock on it. secure all the rock so there are no rockslides, and buy a good pair of tongs for feeding. never ever put your hand in the tank. I was also thinking you could connect a smaller tank to the main tank, and train the octo to eat in tank #2. so if you ever need to do work on the tank just trap the octo in the other tank. also put some warning labels on it

Unread 05/29/2013, 07:52 AM   #39
Fishypapa
Registered Member

Simple google search:

"The blue-ringed octopus, despite its small size, carries enough venom to kill 26 adult humans within minutes. Furthermore, their bites are tiny and often painless, with many victims not realizing they have been envenomated until respiratory depression and paralysis start to set in."

From HERE

I don't quite understand why people wish to have these animals aside from the thrill and bragging rights that they OWN it. (that is at least for the few minutes after they get bitten, then they find out who owns who!

Unread 06/24/2013, 08:16 AM   #40
Iowafisher
Registered Member

http://petesfishplace.com/pages/Inve...vious_url_id=9

Unread 06/24/2013, 08:59 AM   #41
xrayjeeper83
Registered Member

Gaboons are boring, they just lay there and puff.

Monocled cobras on the other hand are cool as hell and really interesting to handle.

As for the blue ring, I think I'd be more afraid of it getting out and getting me, my kid, or my dog, then any snake getting me

Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1372085945767.jpg (56.2 KB, 126 views)
Unread 06/28/2013, 07:20 AM   #42
SOCOMMike
Registered Member

People keep venomous animals for the thrill, and probably because most venomous creatures are extremely colorful -- being a first warning in the wild for other animals that think of them as lunch, and of course humans love shiny things. We can all die at any moment. He's an adult, and if he is willing to take the risk, so be it. Now, if he's 16, that's a different story.

Current Tank Info: Aggressive reef.
Unread 06/28/2013, 07:23 AM   #43
SOCOMMike
Registered Member

P.S. If he does get bit: Darwin Award.

Current Tank Info: Aggressive reef.
Unread 06/28/2013, 11:51 AM   #44
Fishypapa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCOMMike View Post
P.S. If he does get bit: Darwin Award.
I bet a chimp would know better than to mess with one.

"Waterproof does NOT mean SALTPROOF!" ~ Myself
Member of WAMAS (Washington D.C. Area Marine A

Current Tank Info: 38g DT, 20g Fuge, Radion G2, Vortech MP10, Jebao WP25
Unread 07/03/2013, 06:53 AM   #45
FTDelta
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCOMMike View Post
People keep venomous animals for the thrill, and probably because most venomous creatures are extremely colorful -- being a first warning in the wild for other animals that think of them as lunch, and of course humans love shiny things. We can all die at any moment. He's an adult, and if he is willing to take the risk, so be it. Now, if he's 16, that's a different story.
The same goes to those who wish to keep big cats. Curious question though. I know you need a special license to legally own big cats but what about venomous snakes?

Unread 07/03/2013, 09:49 AM   #46
xrayjeeper83
Registered Member

Yes you need a licence to own venomous animals.

In Florida it takes 1000 hours hours of handling with a already licensed handler to get your licence

Unread 09/01/2013, 02:01 AM   #47
Noxious
Registered Member

I kept one many years ago in my late teens.

I was visiting rottnest island (off the coast of western australia/perth) on a mates boat, and we were going through some rock pools checking out whatever life we could find on low tide. We were collecting a couple shells and putting them in the pocket of my board shorts. When I was standing on the beach talking to my mate his face changed and said "man, what is that?" a small octopus had squirmed its way out of the tiny drain hole of my shorts! I quickly grabbed a water bottle and sucked up the little occy... My heart sank and started racing at the same time (strange feeling) when I realized a small blue ringed octopus had just squeezed its way out of my shorts!

I took that little occy home and kept him/her for the next ~18months in a makeshift water container/enclosure. Not my smartest move and not something I would recommend to anyone! Was a remarkably easy animal to care for for the most part. Very beautiful, and not at all shy contrary to what most people will have you believe.

I think the vast majority who seek to keep this animal to it for the wow factor, and for the attention. It is not a bright move. It is easy to minimize the risk, but the wow factor is not potentially worth your life IMO/IME.

Unread 12/06/2013, 09:11 AM   #48
Wilrok
Registered Member

How big do they get ?

Closed Thread