Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/03/2015, 11:35 PM   #26
bertoni
RC Mod

Okay, I've removed some posts. Please remember that commercial vendors may not promote products on Reef Central. Sorry for any side kill, but posts with quotes needed to go, too.

Unread 01/03/2015, 11:37 PM   #27
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
Okay, I've removed some posts. Please remember that commercial vendors may not promote products on Reef Central. Sorry for any side kill, but posts with quotes needed to go, too.
Ah, now that makes sense

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2015, 11:42 PM   #28
Andre@ReefAquat
Registered Member

I don't see any commercial vendors here? We are retailers in RSA and just wanting to know how/what you guys think of the brand and what your experience is like?

We are thinking of getting some over and checking it out.

Andre@ReefAquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2015, 11:49 PM   #29
MK
Registered Member

Bertoni imho you should leave that post with link to the salt test from Poland, I think it's really well done test and could be helpful for some of us.

MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2015, 05:26 AM   #30
Andre@ReefAquat
Registered Member

Agreed think it was a usefull post and a link of value

Unread 01/04/2015, 08:16 AM   #31
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre@ReefAquat View Post
I don't see any commercial vendors here? We are retailers in RSA and just wanting to know how/what you guys think of the brand and what your experience is like?

We are thinking of getting some over and checking it out.
Being a retailer means you are a commercial vendor by definition. Hence the RC User Agreement rules about commercial posting apply.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2015, 08:45 AM   #32
Andre@ReefAquat
Registered Member

Thanks @billsreef respect the rules here surely. Didn't think it that way as I'm not from the US and neither is my market.

But again I do fully respect your rules here. Please then remove posts you feel you need too.

Unread 01/04/2015, 10:28 AM   #33
Barteks
Registered Member

Guys,
I have done some testing on different salts. There is an article on Polish reef blog with some results. You can use the google translator, but I am happy to help you with the translation.

It is a non-profit portal so I believe it will not bridge any rules if I provide the link:
http://reefhub.pl/test-soli-drugie-starcie/

Otherwise please accept my apology and remove my post.

Barteks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2015, 11:52 AM   #34
Stackemdeep
Registered Member

Would someone be so kind as to PM me the link to that test data? I am not interested in the commercial side of vending things but am interested in the data. Or at least a point in the direction where I can view the results of the testing. Thank you.

Current Tank Info: 120g SPS tank
Stackemdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2015, 12:24 PM   #35
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

The chart is inaccurate as noted. BTW, I never heard of an" sps salt"; can't imagine what makes it different for corals with smaller polyps .

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2015, 05:44 PM   #36
bertoni
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
Bertoni imho you should leave that post with link to the salt test from Poland, I think it's really well done test and could be helpful for some of us.
Good point. I have reinstated that post.

Unread 01/04/2015, 09:05 PM   #37
Stackemdeep
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
Good point. I have reinstated that post.
Thank you. Informative and interesting.

Current Tank Info: 120g SPS tank
Stackemdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2015, 05:20 PM   #38
Andre@ReefAquat
Registered Member

so is it only ideal parameters and low nastiness that make a good salt ? would like your input ? what is the MAIN criteria that makes a SUPERIOR salt ?

Unread 01/06/2015, 06:22 PM   #39
bertoni
RC Mod

I don't think we have much of an idea about what an ideal salt would be. Many of them seem just fine for all practical purposes, and the choice might come down to your desired alkalinity and calcium levels, and cost.

Unread 01/06/2015, 06:59 PM   #40
jason2459
Registered Member

For some the ideal salt is mixing two or more brands together.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2015, 07:08 AM   #41
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre@ReefAquat View Post
so is it only ideal parameters and low nastiness that make a good salt ? would like your input ? what is the MAIN criteria that makes a SUPERIOR salt ?
IMO, an ideal salt would match NSW in ALL parameters at 35 ppt. That is unlikely to be attainable at any reasonable price, but I consider it the goal.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2015, 11:34 AM   #42
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

I agree it's a worthy goal but unattainable at least for me for now with products on the market even though some manufacturers make specious claims in their marketing .
Track record, consistency from batch to batch and suitable levels of alk, calcium ,magnesium ,potassium and price are factors I consider. I've been using the same relatively inexpensive salt mix for about 10 years.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
Unread 01/08/2015, 12:17 PM   #43
Barteks
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Holmes-Farley View Post
IMO, an ideal salt would match NSW in ALL parameters at 35 ppt. That is unlikely to be attainable at any reasonable price, but I consider it the goal.
In my opinion it depends on aquarist's approach and corals in the tank.
Very simple systems dominated by softies with small demand for calcification would need a salt with slightly elevated macro and micro elements which could be supplied with a regular water changes.
Tanks dominated by stony corals have usualy own suplementation in place (Balling or Ca-reactor) . Aquarists are often focused on coloration of their corals which requires precise systems of dosing trace elements. For these tanks IMO the best would be a salt matchig NSW but also with very stable parameters.

Cheers,

Bart

Barteks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2015, 12:31 PM   #44
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

I'd add limewater dosing to the alk, calcium supplement choices for tanks consuming more caccium and alk than the salt mix can provide.

Unread 02/17/2015, 12:42 AM   #45
AMC LSS
Registered Member

Hi all,

Does anybody have any experience yet using this Blue Treasure salt in *really* big tanks, particularly with significant ozonation?

I have an issue in an exhibit (~2.1 million US Gal) where a client opted to replace a portion of the specified salt (Red Sea low bromide mix) with Blue Treasure. The tank has since acquired a lovely green hue - it is not algal, definitely chemical. Clarity remains excellent (visibility probably around 100ft); it's just green. My best guess is that something in the salt has oxidised on contact with the ozone, as the water was fairly colourless previous to the salt change. But I'm not sure what yet - getting decent spectroscopy out of the on-site lab can be tricky as there is a language barrier - probably going to run some detailed absorbance tests myself later this week. Maybe some iron or manganese complex? Colour wise, from a purely visual look, it looks like what you would expect out of a chromium compound, lovely lime green, but Blue Treasure looks to be pretty low in chromium based on those Triton results.

If I can narrow down some possible culprits, it will help to counter it - has anyone else seen a similar issue on a smaller scale? I've seen the same problem in one other public aquarium for sure, and I think it may also have been with Blue Treasure, but I can't confirm that for a fact.

Appreciate any thoughts you can offer.

Regards,

AMC

AMC LSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2015, 08:39 AM   #46
Savant
Registered Member

AMC I think reef central isnt designed to deal with such a small amount of water in a Nano DT. 2.1 million gallons is just so far below what is generally talked about here you will prob need at least a 8 million us gal tank just to get into the small tank category.... hehe

While I cant fathom the upkeep on 2M gal this seems like a very interesting thread and I will subscribe.

Any pics of the water color?

Tank Info: 105g DT l 100g sump l remote fuge 40g l Photon 48V2 LED l Diablo XS200 l APEX to run the show
Savant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2015, 03:18 PM   #47
bertoni
RC Mod

I haven't heard of a salt turning the water green like that. I have no idea what's happening. Someone with a stronger chemical background might have some comments.

Unread 02/20/2015, 03:07 AM   #48
AMC LSS
Registered Member

Sorry about the delayed response, internet access isn't the most reliable thing here...

I asked about large tanks because the colour isn't so strong that you'd notice it in a small volume of water, but once you start looking through twenty or thirty feet of water column it's quite pronounced. Crystal clear, but green. I'm really making an assumption that the salt is the source, but the tank was looking good when it was using Red Sea. Turned green almost immediately after a forty tonne addition of the new salt. It is also possible that it is a problem with the incoming freshwater used to make up the mix, but I would have expected that to show up with the Red Sea as well if it was consistent in quality (not a given, here).

If I can find somewhere/way to host an image, I will upload one when I get a chance.

Regards,
AMC

Unread 02/20/2015, 06:13 AM   #49
AMC LSS
Registered Member

This is looking straight down, water depth ~9m / 30ft. Sand bed is white aragonite, so you can get a sense of just what the overall tint is. No enhancements or doctoring done.

Regards,

AMC

Unread 02/20/2015, 05:03 PM   #50
bertoni
RC Mod

Well, that is very green. I have no idea what could do that. Have you tried filtering for phytoplankton? I know you said it's not algal. How did you check?