Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/10/2019, 07:08 AM   #10876
Jason82
Registered Member

Hi Reef Central Community.

My name is Jason. I have had salt water tanks for about a decade now. mostly fish only. Due to life happening, my last 55 gallon tank was sadly neglected. Trying to renew my passion now with a 75 gallon reef tank. I look forward to learning from the community here.

Jason82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2019, 07:48 PM   #10877
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddauti1 View Post
Hi all name is dan from north jersey, i just recently got a 20gallon nano tank. First time saltwater owner, it has been 3 weeks so far. Started with live rock,sand some coral, clean crew, fish. Been tracking my salinity and with a huge help from Sea Level Aquariums in parsippany, nj(owner Warren is phenomenal) please any help or recommendations feel free to let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I Really like your rockwork Dan, nice arch. Im currently incubating a self made arch for my 20 gal and its testing my patience, my new layout will be very similar to yours so now i finally have a good idea what mine will look like! Glad you posted the DT pic.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2019, 08:11 PM   #10878
Pcar94me
Registered Member

Greetings

Wife and I have an interest in starting a tank. I'm recently retired, need a hobby, and thinking of trying fish, corals and invertebrates in place of human social interactions. Was directed to this site by local LFS. Going through Waterkeepers Newbie stuff and already learning a lot. I must say, there are some amazing aquariums on this site and super-friendly and helpful participants.

Pcar94me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2019, 09:54 PM   #10879
Chefwheredyougo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neltel_7 View Post
So I am pretty experienced regarding freshwater tanks and have been doing some pretty cool tanks for a while. But I recently bought a 40 gallon tank and decided that I want to try something new (I know saltwater tanks are a whole nother beast). So I am starting a reef tank and for the past week I have been vigorously studying reef tanks but I still feel like I don't know enough. Can someone please give me a list of what I would need for starting my tank. I do not plan on having a refugium but I am open to having a canister filter. I also wanted to know if I could use a HOB filter with an internal filter/primer because I am very comfortable with using these filters and media.( I am also considering adding a protein skimmer)

I also really like gobies and have a bunch in my freshwater tanks so I wanted to know if I would need anything special if I wanted to keep them.

Thanks so much in advance!
I'm using the Tidal 110 on my 56 gallon. It works nice, but as with the canister filters, you have to watch your nitrates as they tend to build up fairly quickly, ("nitrate factories"). If you want a reef, make sure you have adequate lighting for whatever you choose to have in the tank. I went with a Mars aqua chinese black box. Super cheap and very effective, (120 U.S dollars shipped on Amazon). You will also need good water flow, so generally a power head or 2, depending on your tank size. Some type of rock, i.e base or live rock. Both have pros and cons, and substrate. I went with caribsea live sand, 40lbs of base rock, and about 14 lbs of live rock. The live rock and sand helped my tank cycle faster, but I was lucky enough to not have any nasty hitchhikers on the rock. Skimmers are also nice to have, but not a necessity. The first week or 2 will be a nightmare tuning it and dealing with the overflow, if it isn't in a sump. I started with one, a HOB, the hangers broke and I just left it off and went with the tidal. I'm running a bag of carbon inside it, with a bit of filter floss. A test kit is extremely important, as is a refractometer to test salinity.

Besides those items, a rodi unit is nice to have on hand, but also not necessarily a necessity. I buy my saltwater mixed and rodi from my lfs. The rodi is .69 per gallon and saltwater is 1.70 or so per gallon. Neither is too expensive for me. I usually buy about 10 or 15 gallons extra each to have in case of an emergency plus to top off from the evaporation.

I have a light, and a couple powerheads lying around, if you're interested, pm me and we can figure something out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Chefwheredyougo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2019, 09:00 AM   #10880
sunni
Something Seems Fishy

Been a member for a long time, and finally able to start planning my first SW tank. Planning out a 58 gal with Bean Animal drain. Happy to be here!

Current Tank Info: Planning stages of 58 gal Mixed Reef w/basement 40 gal sump
sunni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2019, 06:55 AM   #10881
Christian88
Registered Member

Hi guys newbie here starting a 120gal FOWLR maybe lps later.
Awesome forum, lots of good info to start!

Christian88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2019, 10:24 AM   #10882
JWLee
Registered Member

Three Weeks In

Three weeks into reef keeping and cycling.....not in that order Looking forward to learning a lot through RC.

JWLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2019, 04:03 PM   #10883
Timmayyy
Registered Member

I recently got my first saltwater tank, a 10 gallon nano with a mix of sps and lps corals. Growing corals is tricky, I'm still learning new things every day.

Timmayyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2019, 05:30 AM   #10884
Preeths
Registered Member

Hello Everyone

Im Preetam, I have been in the hobby for about 15 years. I have been keeping Planted tanks and aquascaping for a long time. Decided to start a reef tank, so I have been reading up.

At this point I am planing on setting up a tank approximately 70 gallons. with a 20 gallon sump. 36"X24"X21" main tank.

I Do a lot of DIY stuff, I make my own custom LED Light panels for all my planted tanks etc.

Hoping the Salty-side will be as much fun!

Current Tank Info: Currently I have 4 Planted aquariums. Planning to get into reef aquariums.
Preeths is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2019, 02:23 AM   #10885
Ratvan
Registered Member

Morning all, been in the hobby less than a year. Currently setting up a 34G after running a 2.5G Pico and 5.5G Nano for approximately 9 months.

Set up a build thread
https://www.reefcentral.com/forums/s...4#post25618754

Ratvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2019, 11:24 AM   #10886
MiamiAlex
Registered Member

Cool

Hi Everyone! I'm Alex and i started my first saltwater tank about 2 months ago. After it cycled, i added 4 Clownfish (different designer colors), Blue Hippo Tang, Yellow Tang, Diamond Goby, and Flame Angel.
I actually just had the tank laying around and decided to start it after my Frenchie passed away.
I purchased a canister filter since i wasn't sure how to set up a sump.
Really looking forward to learning from the more seasoned hobbyists!!!

MiamiAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2019, 09:07 AM   #10887
exploited
Registered Member

Hey everyone, my name is Steve and have been a member for quite some time and have done several tanks, including a 220 gallon mixed reef tank. I sold the big tank several years ago and have missed my reef ever since, so I am getting back into it and feel like a novice again. Starting with a new tank, but hoping to resurrect some of my old equipment.
Glad to be back!

exploited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2019, 03:09 AM   #10888
tysonjames
Registered Member

Hi Guys,
I'm from India. I have a hobby of keeping aquariums. So I'm not a beginner, just so we are clear. I have 30 Gallon fish tank at home, its been a year now since I bought it. Now I want another aquarium for my office and I want a small one since there is not much space to keep a large aquarium. I researched on google and I took a liking to some of them but its really confusing to pick one up. So I want suggestions from someone who is much more experienced than I'm obviously...
These are the aquariums I picked -
Fluval Evo 13.5
Marina 10 Gallon LED Aquarium Kit
Aqueon 10 Gallon LED Aquarium Kit
Penn Plax Curved Corner Aquarium

tysonjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2019, 04:58 PM   #10889
whiterushen
Registered Member

Been out of the hobby 18 years and just starting again

I was in the marine and reef hobby from 1991 to 2001. I had a 55 gallon tru vu acrylic and a 100 gallon glass tank---both with live rock in them. In August, 2019, I started 2 Nano tanks--- a 20g Innovative Nuvo Fusion and a 24g Aquatop-- both reef systems with live rock walls installed in them. The 24g is a LPS and zoa garden and my 20g is a SPS system. I'm running Eshopps nano skimmers in both tanks, the 24g has a AI prime HD and the 20g has a Hydra 26. 2-3 Gallon water changes once a week in both tanks.

whiterushen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2019, 12:35 PM   #10890
gopalka
Registered Member

Just starting back

Hey all. Re-entering reef world after a few years. Just bought myself a 160 gallon tank and a bunch of fun toys from a few folks who were exiting the hobby. Going through the long process of cleaning and planning. Hoping to have the tank at least up and cycling by Christmas to surprise our kids. Looking forward to sharing progress and asking a ton a stupid questions!

gopalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2019, 03:39 PM   #10891
good_07
Registered Member

Hy there. My name is Victoria. I do not have any experience caring for aquariums. Hubby has had freshwater tanks. We recently purchased a Red Sea Reefer 250, 65 gallon tank. We are looking forward to learning with you all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

good_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2019, 05:27 AM   #10892
jcutter347
Registered Member

Hello RC. My name is Josh I'm new to the hobby. I got my first tank, a 30 gallon innovative marine, about 3 months ago. i'm really loving this hobby and i can't wait to see where this takes me

jcutter347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2019, 06:15 PM   #10893
Owen C
Registered Member

Hello all im new to the hobby of saltwater tanks.ive had fresh water tanks in the past but i just ordered a 40.2 plus HD AIO and should be recieving it in 2 weeks so im looking for any tips on what not to do as a newbee .

Owen C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2019, 06:17 PM   #10894
Owen C
Registered Member

Im new to the hobby and could use some tips on the whole cycling method

Unread 10/21/2019, 06:19 PM   #10895
Owen C
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiAlex View Post
Hi Everyone! I'm Alex and i started my first saltwater tank about 2 months ago. After it cycled, i added 4 Clownfish (different designer colors), Blue Hippo Tang, Yellow Tang, Diamond Goby, and Flame Angel.
I actually just had the tank laying around and decided to start it after my Frenchie passed away.
Was the cycling experience tough?

Unread 10/24/2019, 04:48 PM   #10896
Rylan
Registered Member

Hey folks,

My name is Rylan. I am from New Brunswick, Canada. I have been on here a while, from way back when I had my little tiny tank. Recently got a 30G tank, and got back into it. Tank is doing great, and everything is nice, and stable! Great forum for advice, and information. Looking forward to learning as I go!

Rylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2019, 01:01 PM   #10897
maverickbr77
Registered Member

New to the forum and sw tanks. I was getting things together to down size my 75 planted into a 55 and redo the 75 as a salt or cichlid tank. My cousin had a big bow front explode and offered me the survivors so salt it is. Tank is cycling and the survivors are in a qt tank 2 blue damsels, 2 clowns, a flame angel, and a blenny. Planning to start out fowlr and maybe add some easy corals later on.

maverickbr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2019, 08:40 PM   #10898
Owen C
Registered Member

New to saltwater

Hello everyone i am new to saltwater and just would like to pick up your experiences to help me along the way.I will be recieving my waterbox 40.2 this week, i thought this would be a good starter tank for me .I have everything except my skimmer and wave maker. currently looking into the Red sea reefer and the maxspect wave makers at the moment. thanks for ll your help

Unread 11/03/2019, 08:42 PM   #10899
Owen C
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan View Post
Hey folks,

My name is Rylan. I am from New Brunswick, Canada. I have been on here a while, from way back when I had my little tiny tank. Recently got a 30G tank, and got back into it. Tank is doing great, and everything is nice, and stable! Great forum for advice, and information. Looking forward to learning as I go!

Looks great im getting my first tank this week .

Unread 11/03/2019, 08:45 PM   #10900
Owen C
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiAlex View Post
Hello alex i am getting my first tank this week . how was the cycling how long did it take and did you use live rock or dry rock ?

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral