Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/13/2018, 07:14 PM   #76
OrionN
Moved on

FTS today

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 320FTS2018051301.jpg (42.2 KB, 496 views)

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2018, 07:17 PM   #77
OrionN
Moved on

Ruby Head Fairy

Gold Head Sleeper

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RubyHeadFairy2018051301.jpg (41.9 KB, 491 views)
File Type: jpg GoldenHead2018051301.jpg (42.1 KB, 496 views)

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 05/14/2018, 11:10 AM   #78
RIGUY314
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
The larger of my two Regal angels I was able to took some good pictures today

very nice! what type of diet are you feeding them? Food? times? etc.
very interested in getting them for the new tank. thanks!

upgrade in process - Reef Savvy 60*24*24 rimless mixed reef - w/the works

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 425XL
RIGUY314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2018, 11:12 AM   #79
RIGUY314
Registered Member

one more quick question, how they Regals with clams? I have 2 that my wife is attached too and don't want them to become "dinner". thanks again.

upgrade in process - Reef Savvy 60*24*24 rimless mixed reef - w/the works

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 425XL
RIGUY314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2018, 11:27 AM   #80
OrionN
Moved on

I feed a combination of food. Small pellets mixed with multiple flakes, mainly Omega One flakes and frozen Mysis. I just dump the cup with all these food mixed in RO water right in front of my return pump outlet. All of these food quickly spread all over the tank and the fish just go wild after the food. On the weekend when I am home, I feed small amount through out the day using flakes and pellets. The Mysis twice a day only.
My previous experiences with these small Regal, they preferred dry flakes over frozen food. They are not picky eater, eat whatever you feed them.

Unread 05/14/2018, 12:12 PM   #81
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIGUY314 View Post
one more quick question, how they Regals with clams? I have 2 that my wife is attached too and don't want them to become "dinner". thanks again.
I did not have any problem with the ones I had in the past with the clams or SPS. No problem with the few LPS I had, mainly Frogspawn. Somebody wipe all my Xenia out.

Unread 05/16/2018, 05:22 AM   #82
OrionN
Moved on

I started to restock my tank, and trying to arrange time to get my animals back from my friend. He is busy and I am busy. Our schedule is such that he is busy when I am not and vice versa.
I also ordered about 100 lbs of crush coral to add on the top of my sand. This keep the Goby happy and give all my fauna a place to live. The fine sand from the Gulf is great and full of live, lots of worms. I highly recommended it for anybody who live near the beach, at least to increase the diversity of their sand bed.
Over the last several weeks, I have been collecting Flasher and Fairy wrasses. I got a sad and emaciated P. cyaneus that I am trying to rehab. A female P. octotaenia Red Sea Eight line, that I have high hope for. Hopefully she will be a stunning terminal male that she have potential to be in 6-12 months. I also got a P. mccoskeri, P. carpenteri and P. flavinanalis.
Below are pictures of some of them. The McCoskeri , IMO, is certainly the best of the three, even if he is the smallest of the three. That bright red analfin and the blue dorsal just put him over the top in comparison to the other two.

Flavinalis and Carpenteri

McCoskeri

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FlasherWrasses2018042201.jpg (63.6 KB, 617 views)
File Type: jpg McCoskeri2018051502.jpg (94.3 KB, 652 views)
File Type: jpg McCoskeri2018051501resized.jpg (63.2 KB, 450 views)

Unread 05/16/2018, 05:42 AM   #83
OrionN
Moved on

My female P. octotaenia. Does not look like much for the price, but this will change. I hope so anyway.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg EightLineFlasher2018051001.jpg (34.8 KB, 442 views)
File Type: jpg EightLineFlasher2018051002.jpg (35.2 KB, 681 views)

Unread 05/17/2018, 01:53 PM   #84
OrionN
Moved on

After extended period of time been a refugees in an other tank, some of my anemone get to come home last night. FTS and close up of the 4 anemones that got to come home.
FTS

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 320FTS2018051701.jpg (49.6 KB, 436 views)
File Type: jpg 320FTS2018051702.jpg (70.4 KB, 598 views)
File Type: jpg Gigantea2018051701.jpg (106.9 KB, 593 views)
File Type: jpg Gigantea2018051702.jpg (105.1 KB, 593 views)

Unread 05/17/2018, 05:47 PM   #85
Darth_Tater
Registered Member

Wow, they look great!

Unread 05/17/2018, 06:15 PM   #86
lapin
Registered Member

beautiful

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 08:03 PM   #87
OrionN
Moved on

, in that corner.My McCosker's Flasher is the newest wrasse in the tank. He stay in the corner of the tank, under the large overhang. Other fish does not bother him, even the P. flavinanalis.
He does not venture out of the about 1/2 foot away from the corner of the tank.
Fortunately that corner is so full of pods. He eat them all day long. Maybe that was the reason he does not venture far from the corner. Other fish start to come to the corner and eat the pods there too. Maybe he have to venture out in the near future.
In my last picture of this wrasse, I re-post below, his stomach is so full, all from live food in the tank, specifically that corner of the tank.

Unread 05/17/2018, 08:48 PM   #88
OrionN
Moved on

SPS frags await going into the DT

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SPS2018051701.jpg (44.0 KB, 413 views)

Unread 05/19/2018, 10:17 AM   #89
OrionN
Moved on

My other McCosker's Wrasse

Unread 05/20/2018, 09:48 PM   #90
OrionN
Moved on

I am having a lot of wrasses in a short time. This acclimation box really help.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Acclimating Box.jpg (96.9 KB, 386 views)

Unread 05/20/2018, 10:00 PM   #91
OrionN
Moved on

I have been expanding my Fairy and Flasher wrasses.
Right now I have the following Flasher wrasses

In my home DT
P. flavianalis
P. mccoskeri

In my QT
P. carpenteri
P. cyaneus
P. octotaenia

In my office tank
P. mccoskeri

The following Fairy
In my home DT
C. exquisitus
C. laboutei
C. lubbocki (X2)
C. solorensis
C. cyanopleura

In my office
C. lubbocki
C. exquisitus

All fairly cheap Fairy and Flasher, except for a few which are moderately expensive. Still I am very happy with the wrasse collection that I have.

Unread 05/20/2018, 10:21 PM   #92
Tkieu78
Registered Member

Quote:
I am having a lot of wrasses in a short time. This acclimation box really help.

Where did you get this acclimation box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tkieu78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2018, 04:06 AM   #93
OrionN
Moved on

I MO it from Sea Side Aquatics in Seattle WA (Renton). This is a three compartment acclimation box. the dividers is removable.
https://www.seasideaquatics.com/cata...le-rf300c.html

Unread 05/22/2018, 07:44 PM   #94
OrionN
Moved on

I just put the three flasher wrasses in the acclimation box. Will leave them in there for a day or two then release.
So the following is my update fish list in my home DT:

Flashers:
P. flavianalis
P. mccoskeri
P. carpenteri
P. cyaneus
P. octotaenia

Fairies:
C. exquisitus
C. laboutei
C. lubbocki (X2)
C. solorensis
C. cyanopleura

Other fishes:
P. diacanthus (X2)
A. tomentosus
S. splendidus
Z. flavescens
Z. xanthurum
V. strigata
C. rostratus

Unread 05/22/2018, 08:29 PM   #95
OrionN
Moved on

My beautiful Carpenter died during the move from QT tank to the DT. I used a plastic container to scoop him up. As far as I know, I did not injured him (other than the fact that he may have swim into the wall of the container trying to get away). When I got him into the acclimation box, he was just laying on the side breathing hard. He never did move from the bottom. He have stop breathing at this time.
I will remove him in the morning.
I am so sad. He was the first Flasher wrasse that I bought. Eating well, fat. I was not able to catch him the last time I tried to put all the QT fishes to DT, that was why he still in QT. He jumped into the over flow and ended up in the sump. Can't catch him in the sump with a net. I have to trap him. I put a PVC segment in the sump because I know that he will sleep there in the PVC. In the morning I just cover both end of the PVC and brought him back to QT.

Unread 05/23/2018, 11:52 AM   #96
OrionN
Moved on

My Eightline Flasher is changing. She is more colorful today in comparison to picture 2 weeks ago as clearly show below:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg EightLineFlasher2018052309resized.jpg (37.0 KB, 499 views)

Unread 05/27/2018, 06:55 PM   #97
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Well, I got water in my tank, and took all the rock from the bay and put into my tank.

Here are some of the picture of the tank, an a few selected hitch-hikers. The rock is really great with lots of live, but also a lot of aptasia (too many to count) and some gobies and all kinds of fauna and flora, even fishes. The are kinda nice, all about 1 inch or smaller. I counted about 10+ of them.
Been following for a while now. I have a question about rock soaking in the canal. I have a friend who has a fishing cabin on one of the small islands. He can put a big rock in the water. Is that a good option to add some diversity to my tank or will I get too many bad things? Certain parts of my tank are not reachable by hand so I am afraid this might not be good idea. What is your expert opinion?

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2018, 07:40 AM   #98
OrionN
Moved on

My tank is large 6'X3'X2.5'. Most part of the tank are not reachable by hand either.

IMO, the more diversity the better, more stable the system. The only pest I have from bring the rock in from the Gulf of Mexico and the Corpus Christi bay was the aptasia. This can be easily taken care of with peppermint shrimp. file fish or CBB.
I had some crabs, and small hermit crabs, which I know from personal experiences that are omnivore but destructive when get larger. I trapped them and removed. Other than that, no problem. My fish are very healthy, and there is no problem with the tank from these rocks.

Unread 05/28/2018, 06:41 PM   #99
OrionN
Moved on

Attached Images
File Type: jpg YellowfinFlasher2018052802resized.jpg (47.9 KB, 344 views)

Unread 05/31/2018, 12:27 PM   #100
OrionN
Moved on

My CBB. He was full of Lymphocystis initially, but after 6 weeks in the tank, all the lesions have resolved. Only sign that he ever had this disease is the lower jaw is a little shorter than the upper jaw. He had a large lesion on the tip of the lower jaw that keep him from eating well for a while. I hope that he will regrow the lower jaw.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CBB2018053101resized.jpg (67.5 KB, 278 views)

Last edited by OrionN; 05/31/2018 at 12:53 PM.