Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/04/2019, 08:53 PM   #1
RadagastWizard
Registered Member

Light recommendation for 48” wide tank

Hi guys I might pull the trigger on a 48” wide tank but before I do I’m trying to figure out how much lighting will cost me

This will only be a fowlr for now so I’m thinking 2 48” t5 should work but I’m worried they may not like the entire wideness of the tank.

Another option is 6 kessil 360s but I’m not really a fan of shimmer. Opinions and options?

RadagastWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2019, 06:19 AM   #2
Prairie Reef
Registered Member

Do you mean the front viewing panel is 48inches long?

For a FOWLR it doesn’t matter much.

If it’s for a reef tank I’m wondering what the other dimensions are in order to get the foot print you’re trying to cover? On a normal 48” front panel tank - I’d say 2 360s would handle it - definitely for a softy/LPS tank?

Unread 04/05/2019, 07:41 AM   #3
RadagastWizard
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Reef View Post
Do you mean the front viewing panel is 48inches long?

For a FOWLR it doesn’t matter much.

If it’s for a reef tank I’m wondering what the other dimensions are in order to get the foot print you’re trying to cover? On a normal 48” front panel tank - I’d say 2 360s would handle it - definitely for a softy/LPS tank?
No 4ft wide from front to back, 8ft long, 2ft deep

Unread 04/05/2019, 07:45 AM   #4
Prairie Reef
Registered Member

Nice tank

So yes, reef lighting would take probably 6 (LPS) to 8 (SPs) kessils. I don’t know about the others you mentioned.

Unread 04/05/2019, 10:27 AM   #5
RadagastWizard
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Reef View Post
Nice tank

So yes, reef lighting would take probably 6 (LPS) to 8 (SPs) kessils. I don’t know about the others you mentioned.
thanks, I found a good deal I just couldn't pass up!

but this will just be a fowlr for now, however I want to do some stuff that needs lighting like maybe shaving brush plants or some different algaes maybe. so ill probably do some t5's and im just wondering if two 8x48"(for the 8 foot long tank) will cover the entire 4 ft wideness of the tank

I know light isn't a huge deal because its just a fowlr but i don't wanna spend all this money and set up this huge tank and half the tank is in the dark