Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/04/2009, 07:47 AM   #226
sanababit
Registered Member

Well guys i consider myself a guinea pig, i have tried just about everything else to get rid of this pest, i really did not like this algae in my tank and it was spreading really fast so i had to nip it in the butt before it got out of hand, i undesrtand about using chemicals and really hope that my corals wont suffer in the long run, when i no longer see or get this pest in control i will stop dosing it every 3 days and make it a weekly thing, and when its gone i will probably do it every 2 weeks maybe until bottle is empty, a bottle might last me a year, lol.

sana

Current Tank Info: 90RR inwall, Octopuss Skimmer, 2 MP40 wQD, 1 MP10 WQD, 2 Radions G4 Pro, Apex Doser, Apex Controller, 400w heater, 30 Gal Sump, Biopellets, Carbon, Gfo, Macroalgae
sanababit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2009, 08:43 AM   #227
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Sana,

With the results that we have seen so far, it does not appear to me that when the AlgaeFix is used there are no more risks than many other things we use in our reef system. There are very few products used in reef systems that do not have some risk. For example, I have read where hobbyists have caused problems for their systems and occupants using GFO; the aluminum phosphate binders; all your carbon sources have been overdosed by some; Running GAC and I think kalk has killed more tanks off than any other product used (I still love it though).

FWIW, I am happy that the AlgaeFix Marine is working for you.

I really hate to see hobbyists (I have known more than I like to see) that quite the hobby because they had exhausted all other means they were able to find to get rid of algae type pests. Hopefully AlgaeFix Marine will cut back on this number of disgruntled hobbyists. At that point, I don't see what they have to loose.

Intestests: Digital Microscopy; Marine Pest Control; Marine Plants & Macroalgae

Current Tank Info: 180 g. mixed reef system
HighlandReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2009, 09:53 AM   #228
sanababit
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HighlandReefer
I really hate to see hobbyists (I have known more than I like to see) that quit the hobby because they had exhausted all other means they were able to find to get rid of algae type pests. Hopefully AlgaeFix Marine will cut back on this number of disgruntled hobbyists. At that point, I don't see what they have to loose.
Well said....BTW, come on guys show me some pics of your progress, is it working for you?

sana

Current Tank Info: 90RR inwall, Octopuss Skimmer, 2 MP40 wQD, 1 MP10 WQD, 2 Radions G4 Pro, Apex Doser, Apex Controller, 400w heater, 30 Gal Sump, Biopellets, Carbon, Gfo, Macroalgae
Unread 05/04/2009, 11:32 AM   #229
rhunter513
Registered Member

I am not sure what I last posted about this topic and there are at least three different threads about algaefix marine.

The conclusion for my tank is that it needed a lot less of a photoperiod. I went from 10 hours to 5 - I believe in quality not quantity now when it come to light esp in smaller tanks and nanos. The algae fix worked BUT it is only a tool and not a FIX. I am now able to stay ahead of the HA by weekly harvesting. When the HA is trimmed back the clean up crew is better able to take care it. As for dosing, I did a 8 round doing then went to weekly and now I am back to every three days but today I am doing a large water change and will stop dosing and see what happens. I am expecting that the HA will grow back though as it did when I went to weekly dosing. I still don't have a fix for the source of the HA. I went from getting ready to break down the tank and get out of the hobby to sticking with it by using the aglaefix. But I can't keep using the algaefix for ever.

Unread 05/04/2009, 02:54 PM   #230
Bruno3047
Registered Member

First treatment today. Here's a pic of my tank taken today.

The rear wall of the tank is a rock/foam wall that I intended to pretty much cover with corals and mushrooms. After the algae started to grow like weed, I scaled down my aspirations to a FOWLR tank with some ricordea and mushrooms glued the rear wall.

I'll update the progress regularly.

Bruno3047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2009, 05:13 PM   #231
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

rhunter513,

There are many types of algae pests out there. They are difficult to ID. There are many blue-green cyanobacteria that resemble true algae in many respects. I am most concerned with the blue-green algae, because the cyano are much more difficult to control and I am not sure how well the AlgaeFix works on them. A good quality microscope will help when trying to ID these pests.

Check out this link:

Plant Management in Florida Waters:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...3D198%26um%3D1

Unread 05/04/2009, 05:16 PM   #232
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Bruno,

Thanks for sharing your experience with AlgaeFix Marine. Look forward to your results.

Unread 05/04/2009, 08:56 PM   #233
rhunter513
Registered Member

HighlandReefer - thanks for the insight. I am pretty sure its typical hair algae or at least the stuff that algaefix kills. Take a look at the pics I posted on this thread to see what I have and how bad I had it.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...&pagenumber=15

Algaefix does work in my tank - i doesn't dissolve it like some have posted - it mostly thins it and lossens its grip making it easy to harvest. Again it is only a tool for me not a fix. I just did a 10 gallon water change this evening (in 24g nanocube) and harvested a lot more HA. I will go back to weekly dosing as the bottle say given its mostly under control and will see what happens. Last time I did this it came back. I can't keep dosing every three days - my leather coral is starting to show some real signs of stress.

Unread 05/04/2009, 09:26 PM   #234
Bruno3047
Registered Member

Just wondering if anyone is seeing a spike in phosphate or nitrate levels after their algae is gone.

Unread 05/04/2009, 11:36 PM   #235
sanababit
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruno3047
Just wondering if anyone is seeing a spike in phosphate or nitrate levels after their algae is gone.
I am seeing more nitrates all of the sudden since my hair algae started dying/whitering, so i believe its a normal transition and i am not going to worry about it, tomorrow is my 7th dose and i still havent seen any stress signs on any animals, plants, inverts.. i really cant comment what will happen in the long run, but i can comment in the present and it looks GOOOOOOOD....

Sana

Unread 05/05/2009, 05:20 AM   #236
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Bruno,

I agree with Sana. As the AlgaeFix kills the algae, the algae will start to brake down and release nitrate and phosphate back into the water. The best thing you can do to reduce this effect is to physically remove as much of the algae as possible. Hand extraction and siphoning work well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RHunter,

That is some infestation you have.

I don't know where you are at in physical extraction of this pest, but I would remove as much by hand and siphoning as possible. This will increase the effect of AlgaeFix tremendously.

I had to post your pic in this thread also:

Unread 05/05/2009, 05:28 AM   #237
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

RHunter,

With an infestation like yours, I would expect that it will take a while to get this infestation under control. If it is still heavily infested, I would concentrate on part of your tank at one time. Physical removal can be a lot of work and frustrating.

I would be interested in a current pic of your tank, to see where you are at now.

Last edited by HighlandReefer; 05/05/2009 at 05:49 AM.
Unread 05/05/2009, 06:11 AM   #238
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

RHunter,

Here is an example of what I was referring to. This is a picture of a cyanobacteria which resembles your pest. The blue-green coloring of this pest is not depicted well in the scan I made. Cyanobacteria are commonly referred to as the "blue-green algae" because of this color trait. Algae tend to be a true green color. I am not an expert in IDing these pests, but I am learning. Boomer has much more experience in IDing these pests, but microscopic images may be necessary to properly ID it.

Last edited by HighlandReefer; 05/05/2009 at 06:18 AM.
Unread 05/05/2009, 06:18 AM   #239
rhunter513
Registered Member

HighlandReefer - the tank looks much better now. The algaefix allowed me to get ahead of the HA with harvesting. Now I remove more than what grows back in a week. Its a frustrating story for me. Although this tank is my first salt/reef tank, I have been keeping fish for many years and I did a lot of reseach and reading before starting this tank - I had impecable husbandry practices and still the huge infestation you see in those pics. I believe it has mostly to do with the high nutirent live rock in my tank. After trying all the conventional methods I resorted to algaefix. My snails and hermits are now suffering and well as my leather coral from the algaefix so I did that large water change and will run activated carbon now for a week or so and see what happens. I will try and post and updated pic tonight. Thanks again for the input and advice.

Unread 05/05/2009, 06:21 AM   #240
rhunter513
Registered Member

When the HA in my tank is healthy and growing its bright green, when its dying it turns darker and then grey esp at the roots.

Unread 05/05/2009, 06:27 AM   #241
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

RHunter,

If per chance your pest is indeed a cyanobacteria, then reducing your nitrate and phosphate to zero, or as close to possible, will not have much effect on it. The cyano can derive their food source directly from foods and other organic material in the water column. It would be impossible to eradicate it in this manor.

If it is a cyanobacteria and the AlgaeFix does not give the results you like, then perhaps trying Chemi-Clean by Boyd may be another option.

Unread 05/05/2009, 07:18 AM   #242
rhunter513
Registered Member

I guess I need to better ID the algae then. How do i go about doing that. Or just treat the tank with the chemi-clean anyways? What are the side effects to chemi-clean?

Unread 05/05/2009, 07:28 AM   #243
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

I would not treat your tank with both at one time. They are both oxidizers from my understanding.

At least we know what is in AlgaeFix for the most part. I have no idea what is in Chemi-Clean. When I have no idea what is in a product I rank it with the old-time concoctions that the exterminators used to mix-up themselves which were referred to as "Snake Oils".

I have read threads where they claim that it has worked on cyanobacteria. Many also claim that it comes back similar to the claims made about Erythromycin.

Unread 05/05/2009, 09:01 AM   #244
rhunter513
Registered Member

On second thought, I am going to stick with it being hair algae and continue with my plan. In the past the HA has responded to decreasing the phos and nitrate levels. When I was doing huge 100% bi-weekly water changes the HA started to die but quickly grew back when I quit with the huge water changes...that got expensive and was way too much work.

Unread 05/05/2009, 01:37 PM   #245
Bruno3047
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HighlandReefer
Bruno,

I agree with Sana. As the AlgaeFix kills the algae, the algae will start to brake down and release nitrate and phosphate back into the water. The best thing you can do to reduce this effect is to physically remove as much of the algae as possible. Hand extraction and siphoning work well.
I'm also thinking that with the algae, which is a voracious consumer of nitrates and phosphates, now gone for the most part, I would expect nitrates and phosphates to accumulate at a more rapid pace than previously.

In order to keep accumulation of these compounds from becoming problematic, an alternate plan for the export of NO3 and PO4 should be considered.

Just some random thoughts.

Unread 05/06/2009, 03:36 AM   #246
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

RHunter,

I would stick with the AlgaeFix myself. I have what I believe is a blue-green cyano and the algafix is controlling it well, as long as I physically remove as much as possible.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bruno,

Good point. I agree.

Unread 05/06/2009, 12:42 PM   #247
Doolin
Registered Member

I'm looking into picking some AlgaeFix up tonight to help my GHA problem. Will keep everyone posted. Any tips? How does it effect pods?

www.worcreef.org
Doolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2009, 02:03 PM   #248
Boomer
Bomb Technician (EOD)

bright green = HA

Cliff in your book look up Cladophora pg 324. But Lyngbya is a good example of how one can confuse them.

Lyngbya

http://images.google.com/images?q=Ly...N&hl=en&tab=wi

Cladophora

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...q=f&oq=Lyngbya

Seawater Chemistry, Geology, ID Marine Life, Collecting Science Books, Explosives Technology, Audiophile

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2009, 04:45 PM   #249
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Boomer,

I am still confused, but I will continue working on it. I see from the description and color what you are talking about. The worst part is all the distinguishing characteristics of these pests are at a very close magnification, if not a microscopic level.

This is a Cladophora (A True Green Algae):

Thanks.

Unread 05/06/2009, 05:29 PM   #250
Boomer
Bomb Technician (EOD)

Yes, but there are 25 speices of marine cladophora And often, like other marine plants of the same Genus, they do not look the same. And yes one really needs a mico to be sure

Seawater Chemistry, Geology, ID Marine Life, Collecting Science Books, Explosives Technology, Audiophile

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ganjero