Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/04/2008, 11:36 AM   #1
youngreef180
Moved On

dead or dieing anemone

this is my green long tentacle anemone maybe 36 hrs ago

Photobucket

this is it now is it now

Photobucket

Is there a chance this is what they look like when they divide. I read somewhere that many anemone have been disposed of because it was thought to be dead when only dividing to produce new anemone

youngreef180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2008, 12:07 PM   #2
SPARTAN VI
Registered Member

How does it smell?

Doesn't look good to me.

SPARTAN VI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2008, 12:16 PM   #3
youngreef180
Moved On

didn't look good to me either, just thought I'd check. Didn't want to throw out a perfectly goof anemone. It was just doing so good for the last month or 6 weeks and 1 day t just started looking like that.

Unread 01/04/2008, 12:51 PM   #4
Toddrtrex
Registered Member

Looks pretty bad to me, I've seen some LTAs come back from looking bad, but I don't think there is much hope for yours.

If it was me, I would take it out of the tank, esp. if you have to go to work or something, where you will be gone for any extended period of time. Could foul up your tank pretty quickly.

When/if you take it out, turn off the pumps and have a net with you, odds are it is going to break apart when you move it.

Current Tank Info: 210g reef and 65g reef
Toddrtrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2008, 02:07 PM   #5
wicked_NaCl_h2o
Registered Member

oh my what happened? Is there anything you did different to the tank? Did you add some thing new lately? It looks like it turned itself inside out. Where did you buy this LTA? You could put it in another tank if it doesn't fall apart when you try to move it.

Current Tank Info: 120g Chrysopterus Anemone tank 24g mimic blenny tank
wicked_NaCl_h2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2008, 02:14 PM   #6
garygb
Registered Member

Yeah, what in the world happened to it? I would think something pretty dramatic would be necessary to cause an anemone to look like that 36 hours after the first pic.

As far as your question regarding assexual reproduction, in Delbeek/Sprung they mention that assexual reproduction is suspected in M. doreensis, but I personally haven't heard of this species reproducing this way. and if it is even possible, it is apparently not common in aquaria.

garygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2008, 02:28 PM   #7
hybridgenius
Moved On

The thing looks really.... really HURT. Tell us what happened and if you added anything. By now as Im typing this, if its getting worse or MELTING... get rid of it or it will contaminate your tank. If it looks the same, have some hope and enlighten us with some more info so we could help.

hybridgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2008, 02:31 PM   #8
BristlewormKing
Registered Member

That is definitely not part of the splitting process. You need to get it out NOW before it deteriorates anymore and messes up the water. If pieces start floating around in the water column or is left behind when you start to move it, use a turkey baster to suck the pieces out.

Current Tank Info: Several tanks that seem to serve as bristleworm breeding grounds
BristlewormKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2008, 06:39 PM   #9
youngreef180
Moved On

yea I took it out this morning before I left. As usual water all tested perfect. When i removed it was definitly not good and had a bad odor. It was just so strange how fast it deteriorated. It started moving after the new clarkis decided they were not going to nest in it togther, and the bigger one kicked the smaller one out and had to be removed, due to the big one being very aggresive towards the smaller one. Dont know if maybe they were somehow involed in the dimise or not. Like i said just really strange how fast it went downhill.

Unread 01/04/2008, 07:03 PM   #10
Finding Emo
Registered Member

Weird...

Finding Emo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2011, 10:22 PM   #11
huntingbigtex05
Registered Member

Same thing happened

I had the same thing happen to me this morning. I woke up and did my usual analysis of the tank and it looked identical to the picture you posted. I happened to be off all day and watched it with no changes. I called the fish store and they advised me that it was most likely dead and due to their toxicity I should get rid of it immediately. My water specs are great. Really wonder what happened.

huntingbigtex05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2011, 04:09 PM   #12
jumpman420
Registered Member

I had a flame tip bta do the same thing. That was after almost 2 years. I took the Live Aquaria tour at foster and smith facility last weekend and they have a few like this in their tank.

jumpman420 is offline   Reply With Quote