Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/12/2018, 12:24 PM   #1
cvpis4me
Registered Member

Fish have ich and I can't get aquarium stable

My two new clownfish are in my 10g quarantine tank and I'm noticing signs of ich (flashing, rubbing against PVC pipe). Appetite is still good. As of yesterday my tank was the following:
Temp: 76.4
Salinity: 1.024
pH: 7.9
Nitrate: 0
Nitrate: 2
Ammonia: .25

I didn't want to stress out my fish with a 20% water change so I did two 10% changes about 5 hours apart. But when I measure my tank today barely anything changed!
Temp: 76.4
Salinity: 1.024
pH: 8.0
Nitrate: 5
Nitrite: 1
Ammonia: .25

Should I give it a little more time or do another water change today? I'm soaking my vials in hot water today too, just to make sure I'm getting all the chemicals off in case that's throwing off my measurements. Just not sure what to do. These are my first fish for the DT, the DT is 65 gallon and still cycling (on its 7th day)

cvpis4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 12:31 PM   #2
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I am not sure how you correlate your cycling and the possibility of ick.
Treat Ick ( if that's what it is) outside the tank with hypo or cupramine method and continue your DT to compete cycle...

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 12:40 PM   #3
cvpis4me
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
I am not sure how you correlate your cycling and the possibility of ick.
Treat Ick ( if that's what it is) outside the tank with hypo or cupramine method and continue your DT to compete cycle...
My last two clownfish came down with ich and these are displaying the same behavior. I took out all the sand and rock from the QT, turned off the heater and waited over two weeks to get new fish but I'm afraid there may have still been some ich in the tank.

cvpis4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 01:28 PM   #4
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvpis4me View Post
I took out all the sand and rock from the QT, turned off the heater and waited over two weeks to get new fish but I'm afraid there may have still been some ich in the tank.
Definitely. If there was the ich parasite in the tank 2 weeks ago, then it's still there.

Are you sure the clowns have ich? Possible it's brook or velvet?

We can help you treat ich. It's quite easy.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote