Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/31/2012, 09:37 AM   #251
BigAl2007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
I plan on putting a tutorial together with screen shots and photos for other Profilux users.

That's GREAT news The rest of us can not only dream but we can learn from your tank too!!

Thanks Dennis

BigAl2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2012, 07:45 AM   #252
d2mini
Registered Member

Couple updates.

1. Got my mangrove propagules from john at reefcleaners.org.
This is 54 of them! Looks like i have room for more.

2. I replaced my "beta" aluminum rack for my Radions with this much more professional looking setup from 8020.net. One of our local reefers found these guys and they helped him put a kit together for his Radions so I jumped on that and had him get me everything I needed. It's basically like an erector set for adults. You can make just about anything out of this. But in our case it was perfect for the radions. Standard socket head screws screw into the radions and then slide right into the channels of the 80/20 aluminum bars. Gussets add rigidity and endcaps finish it off. Standard hanging kit hardware is used to hang it all from the ceiling. Down the road I'll somehow incorporate this inside the hood that will eventually cover the top of the tank. What's not shown in the pics (because I haven't installed them yet) is cable tie brackets (similar to the sticky ones that Ecotech supplies with their Vortechs) that attach to the channels in the aluminum rails. These will go along the back side and allow me to run the power wires along the back and then send all 4 in one tight bundle down the behind the tank.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2012, 08:30 AM   #253
pkane11384
Registered Member

That's pretty sweet! Love the new rack for your lights. Have you heard from TBS on the arrival of part one of the package? I know you said the 8th but maybe it would come early. It'll be like Christmas for me when you open it. I'm looking to maybe supplement my tank with some of his stuff, so I'll be living vicariously through you that day

-Corals: LPS Domin
pkane11384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2012, 10:29 AM   #254
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

Quote:
The AWC and ATO are already in place and working great.

Both are controlled via the Profilux Controller, Profilux 3-Pump Doser, and Profilix Optical Level Sensor (for the ATO). The only other equipment you need is water containers for your freshwater and saltwater and 1/4" water lines.

If you look up my 130g cube build thread, I did it a little differently there using a LiterMeter III setup. The LM3 has the ability to come on around 150 times per day, while the Profilux seems to only be able to come on a max of 24x. So you have to pump in/out more water each time with Profilux in comparison to LM3. But I like being able to have everything tied into just one controller, since the Profilux is controlling everything else on my tank.

I plan on putting a tutorial together with screen shots and photos for other Profilux users.
Dennis,

Thanks for taking the time to put this information out here. I tutorial would be great especially for me who is new to the ATO and AWC ideas. Great job again with everything.

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon blue line rimless tank
reeftanknewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2012, 10:43 AM   #255
HHIreefer843
Registered Member

counting down the days until Aug 8....itll be like christmas for me hahah

Unread 08/05/2012, 12:18 PM   #256
d2mini
Registered Member

The rock has been postponed due to weather, and me being under the weather.
Will update as soon as I have more info.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Unread 08/05/2012, 05:03 PM   #257
Andrew17030
Moved On

I like how you roll.

Andrew17030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2012, 05:17 PM   #258
BigAl2007
Registered Member

Sorry to hear you're under the weather. Get well soon... and back to this project

BigAl2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2012, 06:36 PM   #259
daw422
Registered Member

You're build is looking great! Isn't 80/20 awesome stuff? We use it at work for just about everything.

Any worries about the raw aluminum cut ends of it holding up right above the tank? Might want to hit them with a light coat of primer before popping the end caps on.

daw422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2012, 12:25 AM   #260
sahicharles
Registered Member

The light rack looks good, if you get them in black color will be even match better. I thought those aluminum extrusion are chemical resistance, I am planning to use them to build the stand.

sahicharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2012, 04:24 AM   #261
Reefahholic
Moved On

Wow, we have another Brett aka drummersreef.

Fantastic rail system for the radions! Very smart idea to be able to move them for specific coral focus.

Reefahholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2012, 04:39 AM   #262
Reefahholic
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummereef View Post
Sweet! Very interested to see how you plumb the 50g. Thinking about doing the same thing myself. Am I seeing double or does your Prius have a twin.
Ha I see Brett found this thread!

You guys must have great jobs! Lol

Unread 08/06/2012, 04:46 AM   #263
Reefahholic
Moved On

Quote:
haha... i've said it before... anyone local is welcome to come over. Just send me a PM.
How far are you from Houston. I would like to come see this monster in action one day!

What day are you gonna stock the tank!

Unread 08/06/2012, 04:56 AM   #264
Snakebyt
Registered Member

how expensive is that 80/20 stuff? dont have to give exact amount you spent, but a ballpark

Snakebyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2012, 06:20 AM   #265
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew17030 View Post
I like how you roll.
haha, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl2007 View Post
Sorry to hear you're under the weather. Get well soon... and back to this project
Thanks, the antibiotics are kicking in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daw422 View Post
You're build is looking great! Isn't 80/20 awesome stuff? We use it at work for just about everything.
Any worries about the raw aluminum cut ends of it holding up right above the tank? Might want to hit them with a light coat of primer before popping the end caps on.
Thanks! Ya, it's pretty cool stuff. I never heard of it before this. As far as I know, saltwater is not corrosive to aluminum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahicharles View Post
The light rack looks good, if you get them in black color will be even match better. I thought those aluminum extrusion are chemical resistance, I am planning to use them to build the stand.
They are black.
And ya, they should be just fine for building a stand or anything else marine related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefahholic View Post
Fantastic rail system for the radions! Very smart idea to be able to move them for specific coral focus.
Thanks! I really wanted something I could move back and forth, especially since this tank has the bracing across the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefahholic View Post
How far are you from Houston. I would like to come see this monster in action one day!

What day are you gonna stock the tank!
Not too far from Houston, but a good drive for you. Just SW of Katy Mills Mall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebyt View Post
how expensive is that 80/20 stuff? dont have to give exact amount you spent, but a ballpark
Not bad, actually. Was about $120 for this setup.
Now building something like a stand... that would start to add up quick.

Unread 08/08/2012, 01:57 AM   #266
jeffreylam1132
Registered Member

Nice light rack, Dennis. Mind telling me the measurement of the rack? I'm thinking of getting one too. Do they come all precut and ready to assemble or you have to do the cutting? One last question, I try to see if I can order some but I can't seem to find it anywhere on the website.

jeffreylam1132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2012, 08:12 AM   #267
d2mini
Registered Member

Hi, it was all done through the local distributor. You can look up yours on their website.
My tank is 84" long so that's the length of the rack.
From what I understand, the other local reefer here in town that worked this all out gave all his measurements to the local distributor who drew up the design in cad and cut the parts. All we had to do was source the screws for the radions and the hanging kit.

Unread 08/08/2012, 08:18 AM   #268
Chrisrush
Registered Member

I used 80/20 in the past for my light rack. It was nice and they were very helpful with my questions.

Any luck on setting up the email from the profilux?

Current Tank Info: 2015 Reef Savvy Dream Tank Winner
Chrisrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2012, 08:25 AM   #269
R@ck78
Registered Member

Awesome build! I have also used the 80/20 for my light rack. I ordered it off of Amazon. They have most stuff but not all.

Current Tank Info: 65 Gallon Rimless DSA 36x20x21 | Trigger Sump | SC150 Cone Skimmer | Maristar 2 x 250 14k Phoenix bulbs and 2 36w T5's | 2 - MP10's wireless | JBJ Chiller | Nextreef MR1 | Reefkeeper Lite
Thanks
Mark-

Current Tank Info: 60g rimless SPS
R@ck78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2012, 09:27 AM   #270
d2mini
Registered Member

Chris, no... i haven't gotten there yet.
Still going back and forth with CS rep getting my auto water change setup the way they recommend (using level sensors), rather than the way I had it working before (like my old litermeterIII setup). Problem is you can only run the AWC 8x per day with their current software. Not enough IMHO. My LM3 performed the AWC 150x/day.

Unread 08/08/2012, 07:22 PM   #271
jeffreylam1132
Registered Member

Does the mangrove roots need to be seeded in the sand?

Unread 08/08/2012, 07:53 PM   #272
d2mini
Registered Member

I've seen people do both. Mine are suspended above the sand. Just the tips of the propagules are in the water. There are no roots yet.

Unread 08/08/2012, 11:41 PM   #273
feh
Registered Member

Quote:
Problem is you can only run the AWC 8x per day with their current software.
Thats kind of limited.

feh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2012, 12:46 AM   #274
jeffreylam1132
Registered Member

Quote:
I've seen people do both. Mine are suspended above the sand. Just the tips of the propagules are in the water. There are no roots yet.
How long are the mangrove when you first got them?

Unread 08/09/2012, 08:08 AM   #275
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feh View Post
Thats kind of limited.
My thoughts exactly.
Which is why I'll probably just go back to using timers and specific ml settings to change out each time, because if I do it that way the software will let me run it once per hour (24x/day), which is much better and I can deal with that. And I can then use the dosing pumps since they will run for less than 15 mins at a time. I had it set up this way originally, but GHL says using the level sensors is more precise over time. Honestly, I'm not convinced of this, having run the LiterMeter3 setup for a couple years with no problems. And if there ever was a shift in salinity, A) it was probably due to me not mixing up the current batch of sw to the same exact salinity as the last batch and B) it's such a slow change and easily correctable with the next batch of sw, so no harm done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreylam1132 View Post
How long are the mangrove when you first got them?
Various, about 5-8".