Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/19/2017, 10:00 PM   #1
adtravels
you cant buy blue fingers

Adtravels 90 Gallon reef

After a 2 year break from the hobby I have got a new tank to mark a milestone birthday!

I plan a nice open tank with SPS and the odd LPS (and knowing me an anemone somewhere).

The Tank
36x24x24 (90 gallon) tank with a rim and corner overflow that id drilled at the bottom.
I chose this as it has given me the best results in the past with noise reduction.
24x20x18 sump with and RO chamber built in but no refugium.
The stand and canopy were hand built for me given the specs.

Using the system volume calculator and taking into account baffle height, live rock and sand the net volume is somewhere around 320 litres.

Equipment:
Light- 2x Gen3 radion XR15's
Return- Eheim compact 3000+
Flow- 2x Tunze 6095
Skimmer- Tunze 9410 DC
Chiller- Hailea HS-66a
Controller- Apex 2016 version
WXM module
Doser- Kamoer 3 channel (soon to be DOS)

I have some Fauna marin Bacto reef balls to get things going and have been curing some LR for 2 months.

False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon 36x24x24 reef
adtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2017, 11:15 PM   #2
adtravels

The Tank

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0678.jpg (35.1 KB, 58 views)
False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness.

Last edited by adtravels; 01/21/2017 at 12:14 AM.
Unread 01/21/2017, 12:19 AM   #3
adtravels

Try again, been a while

Unread 01/21/2017, 12:26 AM   #4
adtravels

The Sump

Unread 01/21/2017, 12:27 AM   #5
adtravels

A temporary job on the Radions

Unread 01/21/2017, 12:32 AM   #6
adtravels

now the scrappy wiring job!

Unread 01/21/2017, 09:31 AM   #7
Denadai
Registered Member

Nice start !!!

Denadai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2017, 10:31 AM   #8
adtravels

Interestingly, yesterday was filling and aquascaping. The apex fired up first time and was easy to calibrate (this is my second apex) apart from the dreaded conductivity probe. We will come to that in a moment.

The Rock was bonded with epo putty, it's cheap and very easy to use. The sand was soaked and rinsed in ro for two weeks. The life on the rocks is all still alive as I had the rock submerged just prior to fixing and this process took less than an hour. It was them covered in fresh salt water.

I then put in a small 6025 whilst I made up more salt.

After the tank was filled I found all the plumbing worked which was a relief and fired up the radion and tunze 6095 ( still not programmed properly).

The issue with the cond probe was one of calibration and it's still not right, I even have a special probe jar that allows the probe to be inverted whist calibrating so no air bubbles can get trapped. Also the probe was thoroughly dried before calibration and read 34.6 salinity in the 53us/cm solution. When placed in the sump it reads 28! The cable is isolated so I have just about trouble shot as much as I can.

I am not too worried as my trusty refractometer read 35ppt and this was backed up that when I tested the fauna Marin salt mix for the Ca Alk and Mag they ALL fell exactly within the stated ranges stated on the box which was reassuring.

That being said I am not sure where to go with the salinity probe. The only thing I can think of was it got a bit of a bang which could have upset it?

Anyway I will monitor this week and see.

Unread 01/22/2017, 12:14 PM   #9
MichaelW
Registered Member

The apex cond probe is touchy and can be hard. It is best to let it "soak" in the tank for a couple of weeks before attempting callibration again.

MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2017, 02:25 PM   #10
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Looks like a very promising build. Good to see you're back.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2017, 05:15 PM   #11
adtravels

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
Looks like a very promising build. Good to see you're back.
Thanks, I read every page of your latest build whilst waiting for the tank, a good source of inspiration!

Unread 01/24/2017, 07:11 AM   #12
adtravels

some of my scape shots please feel free to critique

Unread 01/24/2017, 07:11 AM   #13
adtravels

end view

Unread 01/29/2017, 11:07 PM   #14
adtravels

I have the skimmer running really well now after some initial noise which Roger on the Tunze forum helped me remedy.

I am dosing Fauna Marin Bacto balls at half dose and red sea nopox. Initially my phospate measured 0.16ppm and nitrate was 0 and 2 ppm so I will test again midweek to see if there has been a change. My fish (convict tang, bocolor blenny and shrimpgoby) are in and doing well as are the snails crabs and peppermint shrimp. Also the live rock has 3 colonies of porites that are green and purple, they are all colouring up and recovering from the point of death they were in when I received them. I am dosing 10ml of randys 3 part each day and alk is holding steady at 8.5 so their is some consumption of the 3.
Temp is between 27 and 28oC, I have to keep it higher as i live in a hot place where a chiller is required.

I am thinking some hardy SPS frags in the next week or so...

Unread 02/13/2017, 10:38 PM   #15
adtravels

Everything seems ok, I have purchased a 3rd xr15 but this time a g4, I will put it up soon.
I also have a tunze calcium dispenser on order.
I had to remove a bicolor blenny that liked nipping my sps frags And also have green mandarin and a dusky wrasse.

I have been dosing FM colours as well.

Unread 02/14/2017, 12:15 PM   #16
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Nice start. I like the Tunze skimmer; whilst not as well known as the more popular skimmer brands, they work well and produce some good foam. With regards to the scape; I perhaps would have had a separate smaller island near the front...only for the extra SPS frags we cant help but buy lol but otherwise the negative space is nice as it makes a better visual impact. Otherwise all is well. Look forward to seeing the tank progress.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2017, 03:03 PM   #17
kevin.st
Registered Member

I would think that you need more rock to glue coral!

kevin.st is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2017, 03:24 PM   #18
scar79
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
Nice start. I like the Tunze skimmer; whilst not as well known as the more popular skimmer brands, they work well and produce some good foam. With regards to the scape; I perhaps would have had a separate smaller island near the front...only for the extra SPS frags we cant help but buy lol but otherwise the negative space is nice as it makes a better visual impact. Otherwise all is well. Look forward to seeing the tank progress.
It is funny that they aren't really known as well for their skimmers since they (according to their own media) were the first to produce a commercial venturi protein skimmer back in the 1960's. I've used their nano skimmers and have had zero complaints.

Digging the rockwork! Clean and simple - it will grow in nicely

scar79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2017, 05:11 PM   #19
adtravels

Thanks all l went with the tunze over a vertex due to favorable reviews, especially the one on reef builders. Aside from initial noise it has been great.

I may place another small island to the left as that was the plan until I ran out of LR.
The islands would over lap though so I am not sure it wood look great.

The apex 2016 had been great despite some reservations, from reading their forum. My only grumble is the salt probe but that is almost certainly user related.

Hope fully get some more frags in soon.

Unread 04/04/2017, 01:41 AM   #20
adtravels

update

I have several changes and upgrades. However i need a better lens to take some pictures of the tank as my current camera is not cutting it.

I have about 20 sps frags and mini colonies from Indo and Australia and several fish and inverts now. The fish list is a convict tang, a Kole Tang, and exquisite wrasse, a green mandarin and a pair of sunburst anthias.

I have been really fussy about dipping corals on this tank and only spotted some red bugs on one frag which I removed and dipped.
Growth has bee steady and mostly encrusting as expected.

I purchased a new chiller as mine was a few years old and not broken but I wanted a second one for redundancy.
I purchased a tunze calcium dispenser but have taken it offline as it was problematic with two part dosing.
I bought a radion xr15 pro G4 for the middle of the tank and run the two G3 at 100% and the G4 at 70% all sps ab+.

I also removed the sandbed last week because i did not like the look, had some dino/cyno issues and an found some magnetic particles in my sand. This has allowed my to up the flow significantly and the algae is subsiding.

All in it is going pretty well for just over 2 months. I am really happy with the FM pro salt and colour elements.

I stopped nopox dosing as it was getting tiresome and have moved to FM bacto balls only for now in an effort to really simplify things.

Unread 04/05/2017, 12:31 AM   #21
jeremevans
Registered Member

Even pictures that are not from a fancy camera are interesting to see.

jeremevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2017, 08:28 AM   #22
adtravels

Fair enough, wi try to get something up tomorrow!

Unread 04/05/2017, 08:41 AM   #23
reefmutt
Registered Member

Nice start..nice set up
now, unless I'm missing something, why are you using bacto balls and color elements? I don't see anything in the tank?

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2017, 11:13 PM   #24
adtravels

Not great but tanks always look better in person/my photography skills are lacking.

Unread 04/06/2017, 02:31 PM   #25
jeremevans
Registered Member

The tank is looking good! What is the flat shelf on the left? Did you find a rock like that?

jeremevans is offline   Reply With Quote