Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/22/2008, 03:00 PM   #1
Blazer88
Premium Member

OT - Road trip through Eastern California/Death Valley

I recently took a 3000 mile road trip from Seattle down to Lake Tahoe, down the eastern Sierra's, and through Death Valley for some photography fun. This first set of photo's is from Alabama Hills in Lone Pine California. A ton of old Western movies, car commercials, and current movies (Gladiator, Tremors) have been shot here. It was an amazing place and I was lucky enough to get some cloud cover. I'll post more of the road trip shots as I process them...I only took about 10 gigs worth Enjoy!

1)

2)

3) "Eye of Alabama" Arch

4) "Mobius" Arch framing Mt. Whitney (14,505 ft).

Last edited by Blazer88; 04/22/2008 at 03:44 PM.
Blazer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2008, 03:03 PM   #2
BlueCorn
Retired

Great stuff Rick! The cloud gods favored you. There's nothing worse that clear blue skies when you out shooting. Well done.

I'm going to co-leading a workshop down there in the fall. I can't wait.

[I]Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made when establishing tonal relationships. ~ Ansel Adams[/I]
BlueCorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2008, 03:40 PM   #3
Blazer88
Premium Member

Thanks for the comments Doug. I know about blue skies, seems strange to hate them considering that I live in Seattle though Alabama Hills would be an amazing place for a workshop, that sounds like a ton of fun. There are a ton of arches and interesting rock formations all over the place.

Unread 04/22/2008, 04:44 PM   #4
edwing206
Registered Member

Great shots Rick. Who did you go with? Sound like you had a blast.

Current Tank Info: 50G cube
edwing206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2008, 07:53 AM   #5
Blazer88
Premium Member

I took 4 days and drove down myself. My wife flew down to San Diego for a work conference, we stayed in San Diego for a week, and then we drove back together. My father lives in San Diego so we stayed with him once I got down there. My original idea was to camp along the way but Lake Tahoe still had a TON of snow and all of the campgrounds were closed, plus I was the sickest I've ever been in my life so I mostly stayed in motels. The only place I actually camped was in Death Valley.

Any ways, here are some other shots from the trip. These were shot at Lake Tahoe. Thankfully I made it from Seattle to the south side of Tahoe while the sun was still up (and treated to some more nice clouds). The morning was freaking cold with temps in the teens, I was pretty frozen standing next to a water fall for 45 minutes while waiting for the sun to come up. The things we do for shots, lol.

1) Emerald Bay

2) Lower Eagle Falls

3) Pre-dawn from above pic

4) Sunrise overlooking Emerald Bay

5) East shore near Sand Harbor

Unread 04/23/2008, 09:14 AM   #6
BlueCorn
Retired

Great job on some classic views Rick! It's nice seeing that much water in Eagle Falls.

[I]Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made when establishing tonal relationships. ~ Ansel Adams[/I]
BlueCorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2008, 04:59 PM   #7
golfschosen1
Premium Member

Those shots at Tahoe are amazing man I will be the one to ask the stereotypical question but I think you use to use a 30D do you still and also what lense's on the Tahoe shots? they are truly amazing shots some of the best ive seen not just on reef central
Steve

Current Tank Info: As of Thursday June 7, 2007 a 210 Gallon two Tunze Streams Neptune AquacontrollerIII Pro and then a 14G Oceanic bio cube with a 70W 14K metal halide by sunpod
golfschosen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2008, 06:11 PM   #8
edwing206
Registered Member

I'll probably do a trip like that, except to Europe. Once I get out of High School though. I really love the #4 of your second set.

Current Tank Info: 50G cube
edwing206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2008, 07:03 PM   #9
jwedehase
Registered Member

Rick, beautiful shots! And so close to home for me. You've really become great with the HDR compositions. Awesome job on both accounts (great shots, great processing)! When you went from Tahoe to Death Valley, did you come into the valley, or head down the east side through Bishop (Highway 395)?

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed Reef. 2x250w HQI 14K, 4x39w T5HO. AquaEuro 400
jwedehase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2008, 07:28 PM   #10
Blazer88
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by beerguy
Great job on some classic views Rick! It's nice seeing that much water in Eagle Falls.
Oh there was a ton of water for the falls. The other side of the road to upper Eagle Falls would have required snow shoes. I would love to spend some more time in the area and try to be a bit more original, but I'll take what I can get

Quote:
Originally posted by golfschosen1
Those shots at Tahoe are amazing man I will be the one to ask the stereotypical question but I think you use to use a 30D do you still and also what lense's on the Tahoe shots? they are truly amazing shots some of the best ive seen not just on reef central
Steve
Those are really nice comments, I appreciate it. The shots from Tahoe were with my 30D and Sigma 10-20mm. The EXIF information should be intact for all of the shots so you can view the settings if you wish.

Quote:
Originally posted by edwing206
I'll probably do a trip like that, except to Europe. Once I get out of High School though. I really love the #4 of your second set.
Do it as soon as you can I almost booked a trip to Italy in June w/my wife but her funding fell through (her trip would have been paid by her work). A road trip is always a blast.

Quote:
Originally posted by jwedehase
Rick, beautiful shots! And so close to home for me. You've really become great with the HDR compositions. Awesome job on both accounts (great shots, great processing)! When you went from Tahoe to Death Valley, did you come into the valley, or head down the east side through Bishop (Highway 395)?
I have actually been getting away from HDR since it was really becoming a crutch to just shoot and worry about the processing later. Trying to get the most out of one exposure is much more of a challenge. All of these shots are one exposure and edited in Lightroom and then CS3. My route had me on I-80 from Sacramento to Tahoe and then 395 south until just south of Lone Pine when I cut over to Death Valley.

Speaking of highway 395, here are some shots from the road:

1) Somewhere along 395 north of Walker

2) old shack near Bridgeport

3) Just south of Mono Lake

4) Mt. Tom in black and white

5) Stone house near Keeler

6) Keeler "Beach Club". This place was hilarious! The dried up lake bed is known to have nasty dust storms that have produced respiratory issues with the few people that live in the area. The other side of the surfboard says "this beautiful setting provided by the LA water department" (they cut off the streams that used to feed the lake). At least someone has a good sense of humor

close-up of sign:

More to come!

Unread 04/23/2008, 10:24 PM   #11
RevHtree
Registered Member.

These shots are magnificent! Man I enjoy these very much thanks.

RevHtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2008, 12:10 AM   #12
jwedehase
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Blazer88
All of these shots are one exposure
Then yet even more congratulations to you. Great job!

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed Reef. 2x250w HQI 14K, 4x39w T5HO. AquaEuro 400
jwedehase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2008, 08:57 AM   #13
Blazer88
Premium Member

I'll bring this thread back up from the dead since I finally have some time to process some new pictures. I still have not reached my Death Valley shots yet but I did process some from Calico ghost town near Barstow. It was a pretty cool place to photograph and, yet again, I was lucky to get some good cloud cover. Enjoy.

1) Calico school house

2) Old mining house

3)

4)

5)

Unread 05/28/2008, 12:33 PM   #14
JeffReef
Registered Member

Great Shots!

It must be nice to drive alone through these places and have the time to take pictures without someone rushing you. I travel with the wife and kids most of the time and all I hear is "Dad, let's go!" everytime we stop along the side of the road for some pictures.

How do you like to 10-20mm? It's a good wide lens for a crop sensor albeit prone to flare IME. It's my least used lens next to my 150mm.

JeffReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2008, 03:51 PM   #15
juniormc8704
Registered Member

breathtaking pics as always...man i gotta take a trip up to northern michigan...sadly detroit doesnt have much to offer for photos these days...lol, at least no where im taking $$$$$ camera equipment to...

juniormc8704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2008, 08:49 AM   #16
ibanezgfx
Registered Member

those are some incredible pictures! i love how desolate it looks

ibanezgfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2008, 09:28 AM   #17
jefathome
Registered Member

Nice shots!!

I drive through there (the 395) all the time. Both on the way up to Mammoth/Tahoe for summer camping trips and mountainbiking, and also on the way to Ridgecrest where my father in law lives.

I always think of Chuck Norris when I pass through Walker.

Current Tank Info: *NEW* 150g in-wall Solartube display; 60g 4x2ft frag tank; 3g work Pico.... all Reef tanks
jefathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2008, 06:05 AM   #18
dzb912
Registered Member

looks like a mission from halo lol

Unread 06/04/2008, 07:58 PM   #19
TitusvileSurfer
Registered Member

These are just breathtaking. I really enjoyed them. Some alllmost have an HDR feel, your lens is very good. Canon 10-22?

Unread 06/05/2008, 05:36 PM   #20
BadRoma1
Registered Member

you are a pro, aren't you? money shots $$$

BadRoma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2008, 06:56 PM   #21
Blazer88
Premium Member

I appreciate the kind comments guys. BadRoma1, I'm not a pro, this is just a hobby for me.

Quote:
Originally posted by TitusvileSurfer
These are just breathtaking. I really enjoyed them. Some alllmost have an HDR feel, your lens is very good. Canon 10-22?
All of these were either with my Sigma 10-20mm or 17-55 F/2.8 IS. Thanks for the comments!

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffReef
Great Shots!

It must be nice to drive alone through these places and have the time to take pictures without someone rushing you. I travel with the wife and kids most of the time and all I hear is "Dad, let's go!" everytime we stop along the side of the road for some pictures.

How do you like to 10-20mm? It's a good wide lens for a crop sensor albeit prone to flare IME. It's my least used lens next to my 150mm.
I really like my 10-20mm, I've been using it a few years now and have never been disappointed. I haven't noticed any issues with flare w/my copy though I try to avoid shooting directly into the sun. And yeah, it was quite relaxing to have 4 days to myself and not be rushed. My wife is generally very patient and is always a good sport with my photography though

Unread 06/05/2008, 07:01 PM   #22
Blazer88
Premium Member

Heck, I might as well throw up a few more shots from the trip while I'm at it. These were taken in Rhyolite Nevada, which is another abandoned town from back in the day.

1) Old run down bank

2) "Main" street, lol

3) Front steps of the bank

4) Very strange statue holding a bike, I have no idea what this is about

5) Inside on of the abandoned houses

6) I bet this chair could tell some stories

Unread 06/05/2008, 07:25 PM   #23
Brewen
Premium Member

Amazing photos a few of them leave me speechless. I live here in CA and sometimes forget the beauty that is here. Looks like you had a great trip, hope you are feeling better. Thanks for sharing.

Brewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2008, 08:34 PM   #24
TitusvileSurfer
Registered Member

Well chalk one up for the Sigma 10-20, I am very impressed.

Unread 06/08/2008, 05:44 AM   #25
kactusficus
More is not enough

wOOOAAww I love your travel album, it's gorgeous! The wide angle, the range of tones you chose for the process, the subjects, the skies, the rocks, everything looks fabulous! A big thank to you for sharing these images!

Pretty hard, isn't it, to make the choices of images, and the time it takes for the processing.... I just come home from Ã* 4500 miles trip in Australia, I have around 5300 images to choose from... think I'll go insane before I see the end of it!

Will keep looking of this subject for more to see, I can't wait!

my very best,
sabine

Current Tank Info: fish and LPS lover, but still improving the display
kactusficus is offline   Reply With Quote