Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/19/2018, 09:19 AM   #2576
Tandokude
Registered Member

So I am really wanting to try this project, but since it has been a long time in the running since you started this. I am curious about what the current recommendations are for getting started.

Should I still look for one of those Chauvet controllers as a base, or one of the smart plugs, or just a big 8 outlet surge protector?

Tandokude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 09:35 AM   #2577
SorsCode
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandokude View Post
So I am really wanting to try this project, but since it has been a long time in the running since you started this. I am curious about what the current recommendations are for getting started.

Should I still look for one of those Chauvet controllers as a base, or one of the smart plugs, or just a big 8 outlet surge protector?

I never started out with the Chauvet, because either they were hard to find, or when I did, people wanted stupid money for them. I ended up taking an old APC UPC and redoing the inside. I put in an 8 Channel Relay board, and hooked everything up. I had less than 20 bucks into it. That is my recommended route, if you are comfortable with working with mains voltage.

SorsCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 11:44 AM   #2578
Tandokude
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorsCode View Post
I never started out with the Chauvet, because either they were hard to find, or when I did, people wanted stupid money for them. I ended up taking an old APC UPC and redoing the inside. I put in an 8 Channel Relay board, and hooked everything up. I had less than 20 bucks into it. That is my recommended route, if you are comfortable with working with mains voltage.
Perfect, exactly the type of starting point I was looking for.

Though now i have to know, did you keep the actual battery part of the APC for backup?

Tandokude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 12:08 PM   #2579
SorsCode
Registered Member

Not my first one. The second one, I did, and bought a new battery for it. I used it to keep power on for the heater, micro controller, and pump. Everything else I let be. I was running a DC Pump, and could go 30 minutes with no power.

Unread 01/30/2018, 05:50 PM   #2580
reeffruits
Registered Member

I'm getting this error does anyone know how to fix this all the changes have been made according to the instructions

'time_t' was not declared in this scope

reeffruits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 04:32 AM   #2581
ronnyking
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeffruits View Post
I'm getting this error does anyone know how to fix this all the changes have been made according to the instructions

'time_t' was not declared in this scope
Are you sure the compiler uses the correct, adjusted, time library? Sometimes there are more than one library with the same name...

ronnyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 08:44 AM   #2582
SorsCode
Registered Member

ronnyking is correct. Also make sure you have the library in the correct folder. An output of your Arduino compiler would be helpful as well.

Unread 05/02/2018, 01:45 PM   #2583
Anderwrw
Registered Member

Trouble compiling program

Hi can anyone help I'm having trouble getting the program to compile. I've got all the files from github am I correct in assuming that the libraries have the alterations already made to them.
Cheers Andrew

Anderwrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2018, 10:26 PM   #2584
SorsCode
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderwrw View Post
Hi can anyone help I'm having trouble getting the program to compile. I've got all the files from github am I correct in assuming that the libraries have the alterations already made to them.
Cheers Andrew
Andrew - No you still need to alter the libraries.

Unread 05/03/2018, 02:23 PM   #2585
Anderwrw
Registered Member

Ok so after downloading fresh files and clean install of Arduino software I've finally got the code to compile and I didn't need to alter any files. I'm now stuck trying to log in to the controller I've tried using the IP address 192.168.0.15 I've put the index file on the SD card where am I going wrong?

Anderwrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2018, 02:26 PM   #2586
SorsCode
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderwrw View Post
Ok so after downloading fresh files and clean install of Arduino software I've finally got the code to compile and I didn't need to alter any files. I'm now stuck trying to log in to the controller I've tried using the IP address 192.168.0.15 I've put the index file on the SD card where am I going wrong?
Andrew, did you try to ping the IP? Did it respond?

Unread 02/09/2019, 02:44 AM   #2587
geekengineer
Registered Member

Anyone doing anything on this design lately? I built this on my first project years ago. So i don't know if it is really being supported anymore. Maybe time to bite the grenade and just get an apex? I'm getting too lazy in my old age.

Other interests DYI, 3D printing,

Current Tank Info: 30 gal saltwater and 20 gal sump
geekengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2019, 01:31 PM   #2588
SorsCode
Registered Member

I still do stuff with this even though I don't have a tank anymore. I know he was working on porting this to a Teensy and adding WiFi, not sure where he is on that portion.

Unread 02/14/2019, 10:02 AM   #2589
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

project on hold. got busy. still plan on continuing this, maybe later this year after I'm done remodeling the house (my current diy project).

I want to make it simpler. most devices are now 12 or 24v. only heater is still 110v. So I may modify to have 12 and 24v outlets and maybe a few 110v outlets.

getting a used apex classic for now is a good option, I think they go for around $200. I think the new apex (even apex el) is overkill for most reefers.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote