Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/10/2009, 07:46 PM   #76
halelorf
Registered Member

Here's what a really simple silencer can be.

Top has a couple holes drilled into it with about 2" of airline tubing run through it.

Bottom is cut large enough to fit the skimmer air line into. This was a sloppy cut using a pocket knife but if you get a drill they are much better.

1 empty pill bottle, couple holes drilled, few minutes of your time and you have simple silencer. I would say it cuts down on atleast 50% of the noise.

halelorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2009, 07:50 PM   #77
herozero
Registered Member.

50% reduction from the cover on? Wow.

herozero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2009, 03:30 PM   #78
cocoaandme
Registered Member

I use a toms aquatic prefilter for their aqualifter as a silencer. It seems to be perfectly designed for the application and there doesn't seem to be any loss in air intake. Here is a picture of my setup (I had just cleaned out the collection cup when I took this picture so yes my skimmer does still work with it on haha) :

And this is a link to it at marine depot:
http://www.marinedepot.com/Tom_Aquat...FIOFOA-vi.html

It is pretty darn cheap and it cuts down the noise by 99% in my case. When I put it on I can't hear anything at all which is probably due to the air tight seals around the nipples and the sponge inside which dampens the noise. You might want to try it out.

Also I can't wait to save up some money to get that SWC HOT skimmer. What a skimmer! I am jealous Herozero.

cocoaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2009, 02:36 PM   #79
herozero
Registered Member.

Thumbs up and after the honeymoon

Well, it's been almost 6 months since I've had the SWC HOT Xtreme on my sumpless 40g. I would say that by this time, as with most relationships, the honeymoon period is over and unless the physical intimacy is amazing, you've developed a real connection or you've moved on.

Truth be told, I've never really been in love with a skimmer before. I liked my CPR BakPak, but mostly because I hated my Urchin and was not impressed with my 9002. I think this SWC is my good old reliable, you take her anywhere and she'll always perform.

I was having some sicce noise problems for a few weeks, but after reseating the impeller it "broke in" and has been pretty quiet ever since. It pulls a consistent color and amount of skimmate and has allowed me to overfeed my tank like it's going out of style. I can probably triple my bio-load and still have some overhead as far as skimming quantity is concerned.

I did already break the drain bulkhead at the bottom, I dropped it while cleaning. While it was convenient while it lasted, and I take full blame for the break, I wouldn't mind seeing the drain moved to a side or something. Fixing it was easy, some acrylic sheet, weld-on, loctite, some aquamend, good as new. Except no more drain.

I will be trying a Warner Marine red demon PW soon (if they ever respond to my emails or PMs). Also replacing the air hose so I can try the above "silencer" and maybe take some air draw measurements. If I had to decide all over again, I would feel great getting another SWC HOT. At the same time, I'd probably be interested in trying a WM hang on for giggles (heard to be on par with price and performance). If money were no object I would consider the ATB Multi-use, but only if they add a surface skimmer. BTW, the input/output design on this SWC still amazes me.

Still in love. Maybe not as lustful as before, but still very much in love.

herozero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2010, 11:02 AM   #80
cdeboard
Registered Member

Was looking at these. I have a 90g and currently running a coralife SS125. I plan on having a heavy stocked 90. Think it could keep up? I have a small sump (like a 20g converted wet/dry). The fuge section is small.. roughly 10 inches long, 8 inches thick and 8 inches tall. Would this thing be ridiculous if I had to end up hanging it on the back of my actual display?

Current Tank Info: 90g
cdeboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2010, 11:08 AM   #81
Sohal Tang Tim
Registered Member

MCE600 Deltec Noise?????

I am surprised someone on here found the Deltec MCE600 noisy...
I have owned 3 of them and all 3 were absolutely dead silent.

Perhaps that person had a bad unit or things were not installed perfectly?

Very weird.

The Deltec MCE600, in my humble opinion, is one of the best pieces of
equipment ever designed for the hobby...and certainly my favorite , by far,
hang on skimmer.

This model you are using with the SICCE sounds neat I must admit however...
It certainly is *big* enough and 900lt air /hr sounds very interesting for sure.
Congrats on it....

Tim

Current Tank Info: 160 gallon reef
Sohal Tang Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2010, 07:38 PM   #82
ari5736
Registered Member

I am running two of these, one on a 45 one on a 60. These skimmers are amazing. Nothing more one can ask for, no chance of overflow, tons of nasty skimmate, very quiet and low electricity consumption.

ari5736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2011, 05:08 PM   #83
Booeenie
Registered Member

Is this skimmer still available new anywhere? Where should I look? Souonds perfect for what I need right now.

Booeenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2011, 05:29 PM   #84
ari5736
Registered Member

http://www.shop.clayboa.com/c...1?categoryId=5

ari5736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2014, 02:10 PM   #85
ramtin k
Registered Member

okay just just bought an extreme 100 HOT SWC skimmer... no instructions came with it.... i started to run it but motor sounds weird. i don't see as much bubbles as i should... anyone can help me out for tips for how to start this thing??? i'd appreciate it.

ramtin k is offline   Reply With Quote