Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/08/2011, 07:57 AM   #26
sneeyatch
Registered Member

I'm telling you bro - hydrogen peroxide. Spend the $1 (at most) and dose 1 ml / 10 gallons. Give it a couple of weeks. You'll be surprised.

It's often the saddest of us working our hardest to make everyone laugh

Current Tank Info: Tankless
sneeyatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2011, 09:43 AM   #27
t4zalews
65g Ritteri Tank

I already bought the equipment, might as well use it. But if it is just too much of a hassle, I'll def try the hydrogen peroxide approach. On the other hand..I'm always striving for better water quality as well and ozone can acheive that.

65g - Radion XR30 G3 Pro x2 - Deltec SCA 1351 - APEX - Tunze - Vortech
t4zalews is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2011, 03:17 PM   #28
bertoni
RC Mod

Be careful if you use hydrogen peroxide. It can oxidize fishes' gills, for example, and there isn't much data on using it at this point.

Unread 02/08/2011, 08:55 PM   #29
addicted4life
Premium Member

My ph has been under 8.4 for 2 days and no signs of Dinos.
You have an Apex, get some pickling Lime for under $5 at local grocery.
Mix a teaspoon of lime into a cup of RO water and add slowly with a syringe and watch your ph rise, and you Dinos go away.

Current Tank Info: 180 reef, T5 x 8, 40g frag tank T5 x 6, 50g sump, G3, Apex surfing 6100's
addicted4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2011, 08:30 AM   #30
t4zalews
65g Ritteri Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
Be careful if you use hydrogen peroxide. It can oxidize fishes' gills, for example, and there isn't much data on using it at this point.
I figured that hydrogen peroxide has similar qualities to ozone, albeit hydrogen peroxide is a liquid.

Unread 02/09/2011, 08:35 AM   #31
kzooreefer
Registered Member

I'm not a big fan of ozone or peroxide use as they both can kill beneficial bacteria.

Flow..........2 Jebao WP10 Powerheads
kzooreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2011, 08:39 AM   #32
t4zalews
65g Ritteri Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzooreefer View Post
I'm not a big fan of ozone or peroxide use as they both can kill beneficial bacteria.
I understand the advantages of beneficial bacteria..but this dino bacteria is slowly strangling my tank to death. I dont think I will continually run ozone when the dino's are gone. Unless they come back, if I can get rid of them and not use my ozone again...it would be well worth the money to me to get them gone.

Unread 02/09/2011, 08:50 AM   #33
t4zalews
65g Ritteri Tank

BTW...I removed my BRS biopellets from my tank as my dino's have not waned and they stripped the hell out of my water and I had many sps RTN on me. It looks like after I get this dino taken care of, I'll need to replenish most of my corals.

Unread 02/10/2011, 07:01 AM   #34
turbo21
Registered Member

I was in the same boat as you with a bad dino problem in my 125.

I have been battling it for about 3 months, did a week with the lights out, running huge amounts of gfo and gac raising the ph , no water changes and nothing worked.

I dosed peroxide at 2ml/10gal for 6 days with the lights off for the first 3 and my tank is as clean as it ever was. during the dosing, i was changing a 100 micron filter sock every other day. i have been dino free for a couple weeks now

good luck

turbo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2011, 10:26 AM   #35
addicted4life
Premium Member

If my dinos does ever return I will try the peroxide, but until then, I am a believer in the high ph levels a Randy Homes Farley has suggested. It worked for me.
(Knocking on my wooden fish tank stand)
From what Randy mention, higher ph do not affect tank inhabitants as long as it is below 8.6.

For those of you that say you tried higher ph, did you keep it there 24/7 ?
Was it above 8.4 for a week or two ?
I reallize this may be difficult to do, I checked it 3 times a day, but I swear it has worked for me.
I treated almost a 500G system this way, although only one tank had the dinos. YMMV

Current Tank Info: 180 reef, T5 x 8, 40g frag tank T5 x 6, 50g sump, G3, Apex surfing 6100's
addicted4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2011, 10:31 AM   #36
jkopp36
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo21 View Post
I was in the same boat as you with a bad dino problem in my 125.

I have been battling it for about 3 months, did a week with the lights out, running huge amounts of gfo and gac raising the ph , no water changes and nothing worked.

I dosed peroxide at 2ml/10gal for 6 days with the lights off for the first 3 and my tank is as clean as it ever was. during the dosing, i was changing a 100 micron filter sock every other day. i have been dino free for a couple weeks now

good luck
What livestock do you have including corals and any effects on them? I've been fighting dinos for months and the only thing I haven't tried is peroxide. Through the whole thing the only livestock I've lost is all my snails and I'm petrified of the peroxide but it seems it has worked well for a few. I'm just scared of losing any of my fish or SPS. I could care less about the rogue zoos and other stuff I have.

Anybody have any livestock losses after trying peroxide?

jkopp36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2011, 07:55 PM   #37
turbo21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkopp36 View Post
What livestock do you have including corals and any effects on them? I've been fighting dinos for months and the only thing I haven't tried is peroxide. Through the whole thing the only livestock I've lost is all my snails and I'm petrified of the peroxide but it seems it has worked well for a few. I'm just scared of losing any of my fish or SPS. I could care less about the rogue zoos and other stuff I have.

i have no sps just soft corals and lps.
no losses, some of my zoos are actually opening up again
my fish include
clown tang
singapore angel
firefish
2 chromis
midas blenny
sixeline wrasse
maroon clown

hermits, snails emerald crabs and pencil urchin

i have seen no strange activity after doisng, they almost seem happier now that the water is crystal clear

if you do a google search for peroxide and dinos there is another great thread on another board, no losses and they have a bunch of sps

Unread 02/10/2011, 08:27 PM   #38
t4zalews
65g Ritteri Tank

my skimmer comes tomorrow that i will be using as an ozone reactor. Got media bags and carbon ready. hopefully no more ozone smell

its funny that now that you notice ozone smell..i notice it a little bit in our printer room.

Unread 02/11/2011, 12:50 PM   #39
sneeyatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkopp36 View Post

No losses. The only thing I noticed is that zoanthids and palythoa will close up for about a half hour to an hour, but then open up just as normal. If I dumped it in right where my longspine urchin was, he would take off pretty quick, but no livestock issues at all.

I keep gorgonians, soft corals and only a very small amount of sps. Fish at the time were a tomini tang and a true perc. Now - I use the peroxide as a maintenance dose about once a week and still no dinos, no cyano, a little patch of bryopsis that I'm dealing with by other means and still no livestock issues at all.

It does work well. The only thing I would recommend would be to use a decent to strong skimmer because you will get more skimmate - similar to vodka dosing.

I really don't think all of these people using it here and on other boards would intentionally steer someone wrong. Reef Central has a reputation of being pretty dramatic and adamant about products - both good and bad and I don't think I've seen any threads about how "Peroxide crashed my tank"...

Unread 02/11/2011, 01:25 PM   #40
jkopp36
Registered Member

Thanks sneeyatch! I am convinced to try it and will begin tonight. I'm going to dose 0.5ml/10g the first day and if all is well move to 1ml/10g the next and keep it there until I see results - good or bad. I've done a lot of searching and reading the past couple days and I agree that there hasn't been any real major issues with any of the folks that have tried it but rather lots of good results. Any recommended dosing time of the day or procedure? Seems most are just dumping it all in at once but I didn't catch a regular timing preference - i.e. night/day, lights on/off, etc. One more thing - I'm currently running a DIY ozone reactor setup - should I stop that? I'm not so sure it's working very well anyway.

Thanks again!

Unread 02/11/2011, 01:48 PM   #41
sneeyatch
Registered Member

I can't comment on the ozone use since I've never used it. I assume you have an ORP monitor and I would continue to use that. I've heard that ORP will drop but then will rise above normal for a short period of time. I don't have an ORP monitor but it would be good to track that.

As for dosing, I did it during both lights out and during lights on. It didn't seem to matter either way, but that's how I noticed the zoas closing up was with the lights on. In other words - I didn't stick to any routine - just once a day.

Some folks started it off slow at .5ml / 10 gallons which is good, if you're not 100% on it, go slow. I jumped right in there at 1ml / 10 gallons. I heard that right around days 4 or 5 is where the difference is really noticed, so don't get discouraged if it takes a little bit. I had it nasty - took about 2 weeks for me, then I siphoned out the top layer of sand as a last nail in the coffin.

If you have cyano, you will see a difference pretty quickly - just about 2 to 3 days it really starts going away.

Good luck - keep us posted.

Unread 02/11/2011, 01:56 PM   #42
jkopp36
Registered Member

Yep, I have on ORP monitor so I'll just keep an eye on things. That's good to know on the cyano. I actually have dinos in both of my tanks - 225g and 90g DT's - but only the 90g has a cyano issue right now. My plan is to only do one tank to start with then go from there. Now I just have to choose which one. I'm only running ozone on the 225g. I'm excited to see how this works and will definitely post back.

Unread 02/11/2011, 02:27 PM   #43
turbo21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeyatch View Post
No losses. The only thing I noticed is that zoanthids and palythoa will close up for about a half hour to an hour, but then open up just as normal. If I dumped it in right where my longspine urchin was, he would take off pretty quick, but no livestock issues at all.

I keep gorgonians, soft corals and only a very small amount of sps. Fish at the time were a tomini tang and a true perc. Now - I use the peroxide as a maintenance dose about once a week and still no dinos, no cyano, a little patch of bryopsis that I'm dealing with by other means and still no livestock issues at all.

It does work well. The only thing I would recommend would be to use a decent to strong skimmer because you will get more skimmate - similar to vodka dosing.

I really don't think all of these people using it here and on other boards would intentionally steer someone wrong. Reef Central has a reputation of being pretty dramatic and adamant about products - both good and bad and I don't think I've seen any threads about how "Peroxide crashed my tank"...
actually there was just a thread a few weeks ago about a peroxide overdose
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...php?p=18176398

bob

Unread 02/11/2011, 02:52 PM   #44
sneeyatch
Registered Member

Good God... with such a gross overdose - and for the reason of trying to control bryopsis (which it does NOT - no any other hair algae), I can see why he did. With such a math error, I bet he didn't even read up on it. 1ml / 10 gallons is pretty easy math compared to 3 capfuls to 20 gallons... sounds like he tried extra hard to get it wrong.

Unread 02/11/2011, 02:56 PM   #45
EnderG60
Plumbing Engineer

you know I was having a REALLY bad problem with dino and cyano as well. For 3 days I simply cut my feeding back to 1/3 and turned the lights off. Cyano is gone and the dino is maybe 1/5 of what it used to be.

Ill do the process again next week to see if i can kill it all together.

EnderG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2011, 03:28 PM   #46
bertoni
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeyatch View Post
Reef Central has a reputation of being pretty dramatic and adamant about products - both good and bad and I don't think I've seen any threads about how "Peroxide crashed my tank"...
I think there's some truth to that in my posts. I'm not sure what to say, though. I don't feel comfortable recommending treatments that are experimental, because some of them do turn out badly, and, after all, I have no evidence yet that they're a good idea. On the other hand, I don't want to discourage people from trying new ideas carefully, as long as they know it's a risky experiment.

Last edited by bertoni; 02/11/2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: typo
bertoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2011, 03:47 PM   #47
sneeyatch
Registered Member

Bertoni -

Agreed 100%. I take great pride in not lying to anyone - even to a fault of my own and I would never intentionally steer anyone into doing something that they're not comfortable with. I've heard horror stories in the past about using peroxide in tanks - mostly due to increasing O2 in power outages, etc. A buddy of mine was dealing with dinos as well and he told me how he beat it using peroxide. I was leary about it and read up on it as much as I could before I did it and I'm very pleased and actually quite surprised in the results, to the point I really can't believe it.

Also, I'm glad to see the statement I made was taken with an open mind as it was in no way an attempt to offend anyone. Thanks for seeing point I was trying to make and not just the face value of it.

Unread 02/11/2011, 05:50 PM   #48
t4zalews
65g Ritteri Tank

new skimmer works PERFECT. As you can see in the picture i set the level to break before going up the collection tube. In the collection cup opening i put in a mesh bag and then poured carbon through it to fill the rising tube. The o3 has to pass through it on its way out. and i zip tied a bag of carbon to the exit tube back to the sump. I have absolutely NO OZONE SMELL. I put my head right by the skimmer and took a whiff and nothing. Very excited...this was a good use of funds to make an ozone reactor. the skimmer pulls enough air to suck air through the ozone unit but its not overwelming. Just a nice tumble in the reactor. and the mixing chamber of the skimmer is big enough so a lot of water can be in contact with the ozone. Im very happy with this purchase.

Now more importantly...will my dino's go away now. I set my APEX to turn the ozone unit when orp drops below 350 and turn off when it hits 380. I might raise it if I dont see enough results. either that or ill turn the ozone unit up a little. its currently at 1 or 22mg/hr.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (46.7 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg photo1.jpg (56.3 KB, 147 views)

Unread 02/11/2011, 08:06 PM   #49
t4zalews
65g Ritteri Tank

I tried smelling my sump area again, and smell a little ozone. Only when I put my head like in my sump area and smell.

Unread 02/11/2011, 09:58 PM   #50
t4zalews
65g Ritteri Tank

i turned off the ozone...i get freaked out thinking that ozone might be leaking into the room. I dont really know if I was smelling it or not, but the thought of my room having ozone in it freaks me out.

I'll have to try either limewater or hydrogen peroxide.

I ran the unit for about 3 hours..my ORP rose from 300 to 340. After 5 min of turning off the ozone, my ORP dropped back down to 300.