Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/02/2014, 02:49 PM   #1
jcgso
Saltwater Addict

Critique my upcoming SH tank please

After about four years without seahorse tanks, i am getting ready to set up a new one. I have a 36 gallon bowfront with the standard flourescent hood.
My plan is to use the included hang on filter, rated to 40 gallons, a 9 watt UV sterilizer, and a bakpak 2R+ skimmer. No sump, since there is no room for it.
I have always had sand beds on all of my tanks (reef and seahorse), but think I will go bare bottom, with some live rock. I will use artificial corals and plants for hitching posts, which is also a first for me.
I am hoping to be able to keep temp at 72 without a chiller.
After cycling for 2-3 months (after a 10 day vacation), I will add 2 or 3 CB Erectus females, if that's not too many for the 36g. I know I wont have the time, space and resources for fry, so no male.
Please let me know your opinions and any changes that could improve this setup.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL reef
jcgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2014, 07:33 AM   #2
vlangel
Registered Member

It sounds pretty good if you are willing to do faithful maintenance on the HOB filter and keep up diligent water changes. One concern however is I don't think you will have much flow at the bottom of the tank. I would consider nesting a small Rio pump or two in your rock work to keep food and particles in suspension. If you add peppermint shrimp they will help clean up the bottom too, (just make sure they are big enough not to look like dinner! )

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2014, 08:52 AM   #3
vlangel
Registered Member

Like you, I ordered 2 CB female erectus for the same reasons, ha ha. I was sent a male and female and because they were shipped such a long distance I kept them, (didn't have the heart to ship the male back). Less than 2 weeks later they mated, LOL and I am raising fry. It's a boat load of work and I plan to give all future fry away. It is an experience though and they are 5 weeks old today!

Unread 12/03/2014, 06:25 PM   #4
jcgso
Saltwater Addict

Vlangel, that is a good idea about the small pump at the bottom. I have a small, fairly low flow azoo pump that should be perfect.
i wish I had room for a sump, but it's just not possible in this location. How often would you think I should change the filter media?
I really hope I don' t wind up with a male. Hopefully the breeder I get them from will have ponies old enough to easily sex. I have it narrowed down to two breeders, one of which I purchased from before.
Good luck with your fry. I know how hard it is to raise them. Post some pics if you can.

Unread 12/03/2014, 08:56 PM   #5
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgso View Post
Vlangel, that is a good idea about the small pump at the bottom. I have a small, fairly low flow azoo pump that should be perfect.
i wish I had room for a sump, but it's just not possible in this location. How often would you think I should change the filter media?
I really hope I don' t wind up with a male. Hopefully the breeder I get them from will have ponies old enough to easily sex. I have it narrowed down to two breeders, one of which I purchased from before.
Good luck with your fry. I know how hard it is to raise them. Post some pics if you can.
Just make sure that no seahorse tails can find their way into a crevice of the pump near an impellor.
I change my carbon and filter floss every week. A small amount of carbon goes a long way so I utilize a small amount of carbon but change it often. With seahorses I decided that it is worth changing anything that can trap bacteria more often than necessary. Better safe than sorry.
My breeder was Ocean Rider and they are reputable. I am not quite sure what happened that I got a male and female. I am very satisfied with the health and condition that my ponies arrived in. I also purchased 2 captive bred banded pipefish from them that also arrived in excellant condition so I am not unhappy, just perplexed that such a reputable breeder would make that mistake. I have bought enrichment and probiotic from Dan of Seahorse Source and I am very impressed with him. I would highly recommend him as a breeder. He spent close to an hour on the phone giving me tips about caring for my new seahorses even though he knew that I bought them from somewhere else. To me that says something about the man and that he cares about the well being of the seahorses.
Thanks for the well wishes about the fry. Frankly, being a novice I am surprised to still be in the game. Some of the fry are really growing fast and are over an inch long now. I will feel more confident when I can entice some of them into eating shaved frozen mysis. They are turning their little noses up at it now.

Unread 12/03/2014, 09:43 PM   #6
vlangel
Registered Member

Ok, here's a pic of my baby seahorses, maybe? I am not too good at the tech thing so we will see if the pic posted.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141203_215932.jpg (45.8 KB, 73 views)
Unread 12/03/2014, 09:48 PM   #7
jcgso
Saltwater Addict

They look good!

Unread 12/03/2014, 09:49 PM   #8
jcgso
Saltwater Addict

So could I put three female erectus in the 36 gallon bow?

Unread 12/04/2014, 09:09 AM   #9
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgso View Post
So could I put three female erectus in the 36 gallon bow?
From what I read that is doable, but perhaps not optimal. If you are committed to doing more than the necessary water changes and your skimmer is very efficient and you have a fair amount of live rock I would think it would work but when you push the boundaries of what is recommended you cut down your margin for error, so that should be weighed in the consideration. I myself am new to seahorses and have only had them a few months so perhaps someone with a lot more knowledge and experience should answer this one.

Unread 12/04/2014, 09:11 PM   #10
jcgso
Saltwater Addict

Anyone else have any input? Especially interested in hearing from long time SH keepers.

Unread 07/31/2015, 04:17 AM   #11
Elo500
Registered Member

Is the tank still running? What equipment did you end up with?

Elo500 is offline   Reply With Quote