Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Aquaforest
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/22/2016, 06:28 AM   #126
cham
Registered Member

Aquaforest products- Component 1+2+3+

I'm with Perry, Im most likely to look at a Ca Rx soon or maybe even a kalk reactor to supplement along with the pre mix. I realize that using kalk won't allow all of the trace that will give the full benefit of the AF system but it's a lot better than what I've been doing and I can't justify high consumption costs to my accountant (wife)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: -SPS-120g Rimless Starfire, Garage sump/equip room with rimless frag tank, reefkeeper & Apex Jr, Reeflo Super Dart Gold return, ATI Powermodule, four Vortech MP40's, SRO XP3000 cone w/self cleaning head, two reefbrite LED, AF three part balling
cham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2016, 07:30 AM   #127
Geeray
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyle02 View Post
Diesel,
I am not sure of the exact strength, but I am currently using component system 123 and had to increase again today, I am currently doing 220ml per day on my 120 gallon sps reef. I was previously using 2 part from Seachem Reef Fusion. I was dosing less than half, around 80ml of the 2part per day. Now keep in mind, that when I did try BRS 2 part, I was about double of the Seachem Fusion. So it is not as concentrated as other 2 parts I have used, but the impact on the colors of my corals has been noticeable. I hope this helps a bit, the instructions for mixing are mentioned by Michael, as he currently mixes his own balling components. In this thread I think he gave instruction that came with the products. Cheers!
I'm switching from BRS 2 part to the aqua forest 1,2,3 and I'm tying to get a feel for what the strength of the aquaforest system is so I can up with the folloing: I have an 180gal system so

From the BRS calculator 167ml of BRS soda ash mixture raises the Alk of 180gallons of water 1.3 dKh.

From the aquaforest website 50ml of component 2 raises the Alk of 100liters or water 1.3 dKh. Converting liter to gallons gives you 341ml of component 2 raises the Alk of 180 gallons 1.3 dKh

So assuming this is correct the aquaforest system is almost exactly half the strength of the BRS system. Could someone verify my math? Based on Pyle02s experience this seems to be correct. I'm just trying to get a starting point to switch over and any input would be appreciated.

Geeray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2016, 08:04 AM   #128
cham
Registered Member

I went from BRS to AF 123 and found them to be identical in strength. I'm running the exact same dosage and alk has been holding steady

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: -SPS-120g Rimless Starfire, Garage sump/equip room with rimless frag tank, reefkeeper & Apex Jr, Reeflo Super Dart Gold return, ATI Powermodule, four Vortech MP40's, SRO XP3000 cone w/self cleaning head, two reefbrite LED, AF three part balling
cham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2016, 08:27 AM   #129
plyle02
Registered Member

I agree they are fairly close, and I would use the same set point and test daily, if you see an increase in alk, lower it, if you see a decrease, then increase your dosage. I would recommend to simply measure alk and use it to determine you set point on the doser. I did so every morning at the same time to get an accurate test and absorption rate. But, as Cham stated, the values will likely be close

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2016, 08:48 AM   #130
Geeray
Registered Member

Quote:
I agree they are fairly close, and I would use the same set point and test daily, if you see an increase in alk, lower it, if you see a decrease, then increase your dosage. I would recommend to simply measure alk and use it to determine you set point on the doser. I did so every morning at the same time to get an accurate test and absorption rate. But, as Cham stated, the values will likely be close
Any idea where I went wrong with my calcs? Lol

Unread 06/23/2016, 07:59 AM   #131
Diesel3443
AEFW Distructor

Personally, I would just start low and work your way up. I dont see anything wrong with your calc

125g In-wall SPS tank - Retired
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2558111
Diesel3443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2016, 08:34 AM   #132
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel3443 View Post
Personally, I would just start low and work your way up. I dont see anything wrong with your calc
Yes,
This is the best way. I started at 80ml and quickly that number grew. I am at now today 240ml. So I have seen my alk drop as low as 5.4 and zero issues with acros, it is now holding steady at 6.8dkh and that is exactly where I want to be. Calcium and Mag are totally inline based on the alk, 400 CA and 1260 Mag. The real benefit is the trace which absorbs at proper levels too. I will eventually get triton test and share. Cheers

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
Unread 06/24/2016, 07:51 AM   #133
jimmys91
Registered Member

Triton

Very interested if any one who has been using the 1,2,3 for any length of time has had a Triton done yet?

jimmys91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2016, 04:25 PM   #134
plyle02
Registered Member

I am fairly certain that Debora has had a triton test done, and while I think she has moved to a CARX, I think the response from users will be better if the question is posed here: Cheers

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1490485151247025/

Unread 06/24/2016, 05:07 PM   #135
SchnitzelReef
Registered Member

Wondering if using just these 3 products will make a difference. I might order CoralV. Gunna see how it goes first

SchnitzelReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2016, 02:54 PM   #136
jimmys91
Registered Member

[QUOTE=plyle02;24596750]I am fairly certain that Debora has had a triton test done, and while I think she has moved to a CARX, I think the response from users will be better if the question is posed here: Cheers

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1490485151247025/[/QUO

What is this CARX you speak of?

jimmys91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2016, 03:49 PM   #137
plyle02
Registered Member

Calcium Reactor, sorry I abbreviated

Unread 07/03/2016, 08:25 AM   #138
Buzzword
Registered Member

My question is about using Zeo mix. I use the AF Zeo mix/carbon/phos minus combo in my reactor. Is it still OK to use the AF balling method or just component strong to replace minerals? Where would the Reef Mineral salts come in to play? Same as Component strong?
General Zeo question, friend stated that Zeo strips nutrients I know but he said it strips bacteria as well and that I should dose ProbioS and NP pro as well if using Zeo. Anyone know if that is true?

Buzzword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2016, 10:21 AM   #139
plyle02
Registered Member

Hello,
To answer question regarding AF Zeomix with balling method, it is actually what I use. The method is AF Component 123, which is a balling lite version. This is unrelated to AF Zeomix as one is concerning mineral and trace, and the combo of the 3 medias is for controlling N&P. Yes, if you are using AF Zeomix, you should also be using Pro Bio S and NP Pro to maintain low nutrients. As far as Component Strong goes, it is to be used with the option of mixing your own components to yield the same effect as the pre-mixed formula of AF Component 123. May I also suggest use of AF Build, Energy, Vitality, and Aminomix, these help to maintain coloration of corals while the system runs very low nutrients. Hope this helps

Unread 07/03/2016, 04:40 PM   #140
Buzzword
Registered Member

Thanks Perry for answering. I figured that was the case but wanted to check. I am already using A, B, E, and V as well as Kalium with the components.

Buzzword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2016, 07:09 PM   #141
Geeray
Registered Member

Do I need to be concerned with the component 1,2,3 being degraded if it's stored in clear containers that are open to aquarium lights? Particularly the trace elements will they degrade in light?

Unread 07/04/2016, 07:56 PM   #142
zeemofree
Moved On

Quote:
Hello, To answer question regarding AF Zeomix with balling method, it is actually what I use. The method is AF Component 123, which is a balling lite version. This is unrelated to AF Zeomix as one is concerning mineral and trace, and the combo of the 3 medias is for controlling N&P. Yes, if you are using AF Zeomix, you should also be using Pro Bio S and NP Pro to maintain low nutrients. As far as Component Strong goes, it is to be used with the option of mixing your own components to yield the same effect as the pre-mixed formula of AF Component 123. May I also suggest use of AF Build, Energy, Vitality, and Aminomix, these help to maintain coloration of corals while the system runs very low nutrients. Hope this helps

How does the probiotic salt work with Zeovit products, such as Zeobak, and Zeostart?

zeemofree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2016, 01:14 PM   #143
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeemofree View Post
How does the probiotic salt work with Zeovit products, such as Zeobak, and Zeostart?
Hello,
I have no personal experience with AF Probiotic Reef Salt with use of Zeovit products, but since they use their own probiotic based system, I am not confident that it will blend well with their lineup. AF products for running the Probiotic based system are specifically designed for use with the Probiotic Reef Salt usually 10% change per week. To be safe, I would recommend using the Reef Salt, as it mixes at similar values, in terms of NSW values, and that way there is no interference with Zeovit's bac and carbon source with AF. Cheers!

Unread 07/05/2016, 01:16 PM   #144
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeray View Post
Do I need to be concerned with the component 1,2,3 being degraded if it's stored in clear containers that are open to aquarium lights? Particularly the trace elements will they degrade in light?
To be safe, you could always krylon paint the containers, and leave a strip un painted to be able to know fluid levels. I doubt there would be a concern, but I think it is always best to use caution. Cheers

Unread 07/05/2016, 02:02 PM   #145
Cyberdude
In Memoriam

Are water changes required with component 123

Cyberdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2016, 02:24 PM   #146
plyle02
Registered Member

In theory no, but with the AF Probiotic based system, it is recommended to change 10% weekly with Probiotic Reef Salt. Cheers!

Unread 07/06/2016, 06:36 AM   #147
zeemofree
Moved On

Quote:
Hello, I have no personal experience with AF Probiotic Reef Salt with use of Zeovit products, but since they use their own probiotic based system, I am not confident that it will blend well with their lineup. AF products for running the Probiotic based system are specifically designed for use with the Probiotic Reef Salt usually 10% change per week. To be safe, I would recommend using the Reef Salt, as it mixes at similar values, in terms of NSW values, and that way there is no interference with Zeovit's bac and carbon source with AF. Cheers!
Thanks,

zeemofree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2016, 02:48 PM   #148
M007
Acro Whore

1 week into complete dosing re-do, did a complete wash and rinse replacing ESV CA/ALK/MG with AF 1-2-3. There is definitely something to this AF product, results are most interesting in a good way

Current Tank Info: 250G SPS Mixed Reef. ATLAS 84x28x24. SuperMarin 250. Cebu Sun 3 x 250WMH Radiums 4 x 80W T5. Profilux 3 w/GHL dosing CA-ALK-MG. Moved by Tunze and Vertex. Reef Octopus 5K return.
M007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2016, 04:34 PM   #149
Geeray
Registered Member

I just started the component 1,2,3 a few days ago. When the lights came on today I noticed my forest fire Monti looked irritated. I ran some test and found the following:

Kh 7.7 (been here for months)
Cal 430 (been here for months)
Mag 1350 (been here for months)
Potassium 470 (use to be closer to 440)

I'm not suggesting the component 1,2,3 is responsible for the increase. I think it might be my batch of IO salt. I assume it should be safe to not run component 3 for a while while the potassium level lowers? Do you think potassium being at 470 could irritate the forest fire Monti? All other sps seem uneffected. I'm going to test a fresh batch of mixed IO water to see if it's the culprit

Unread 07/10/2016, 05:34 PM   #150
Geeray
Registered Member

Tested the IO salt and the potassium is 430 so that can't be it. Must have been the salifert trace hard I was dosing? I discontinued the trace hard once I saw niggles triton results... In any case I want to suspend dosing component 3 until the potassium level comes down a bit unless I shouldn't do that for some reason. What do you think?