Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/11/2017, 02:49 PM   #26
BlueCorn
Retired

I'm shooting on a crop sensor. I have the Sony 10-18 and a Rokinon 8mm fisheye.

[I]Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made when establishing tonal relationships. ~ Ansel Adams[/I]
BlueCorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2017, 01:17 PM   #27
Recty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
Grant I have been reading on this some as I am considering moving from my A7R up to the A7R II. From what I have read (DP review > sony e-mount forum is a good place to look) it seems like it may not be that long, but I don't recall any specific time frame. I do seem to recall though that the thought was that it would be in the 20MP range. A lot of folks seemed to feel it would apple to oranges and thus would not drive the price of the A7R II down (nor flood the market) but that was just my take on some limited reading this weekend.

You don't have much Canon gear left? What did you do with it?
I sold it off years ago... I got into astrophotography, but all my old Canon gear was useless for that.

I've got a Canon 70D right now and just the kit lens, it's junk I'm wanting a better camera, and was thinking about making the switch to Sony before I invest in any Canon lenses. I realize I can use an adapter but I'd rather just drink the Sony Koolaid completely I think.

Recty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2017, 12:16 AM   #28
IPT
Registered Member

If you are looking to use it for Astrophotograhy you may want to reconsider the Sony and look at Nikon. Apparently Sony has some algorithm that dulls stars with longer exposures (https://petapixel.com/2017/05/04/sta...rophotography/ .

I think the Canon 6D is well regarded in the Astro world so I am surprised you didn;t go that route. I think the mirrorless world hype with regards to the A7RII (and much more expensive A9) comes down to stuff like DR, but also the resolution, and AF that can lock onto the eye. I wouldn't think most of those attributes would be desirable really for Astro work but I don't do any of that so may be off.

I dig my A7R but the AF is horrible and the higher ISO is not great. I am really thinking to pull the trigger on the A7RII. Mostly for the better AF (getting sick of carrying 2-3 different bodies!) but also the higher ISO performance. It's not going to replace my 7DII I use for wildlife. No chance it can do that, but it might replace my 6D for all but studio setup stuff where I use flash. The flash won't be compatible. However, if I am out and about shooting Landscape stuff and want to grab a shot of my daughter it would be nice to get some in focus .

I might add for lenses the Rokinon stuff blew my mind. I read a lot about on the Asto sites. It took me 3 copies but I finally got a great one. I sold my Canon 24 F1.4 a moment after comparing the results of the two. At about 1/3 the price the sharpness was night and day better on the Rokinon. I lost some speed, but who cares if I can use a lower ISO or shorter speed if the end result is an image with poor resolution and rendering of what I am shooting.

Last edited by IPT; 09/13/2017 at 12:24 AM.
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2017, 02:51 AM   #29
Nixy
Registered Member

Quote:
If you are looking to use it for Astrophotograhy you may want to reconsider the Sony and look at Nikon. Apparently Sony has some algorithm that dulls stars with longer exposures (https://petapixel.com/2017/05/04/sta...rophotography/ .

I think the Canon 6D is well regarded in the Astro world so I am surprised you didn;t go that route. I think the mirrorless world hype with regards to the A7RII (and much more expensive A9) comes down to stuff like DR, but also the resolution, and AF that can lock onto the eye. I wouldn't think most of those attributes would be desirable really for Astro work but I don't do any of that so may be off.

If you want fast AF and tracking and a camera that is perfect for Astro photography look no further than the Olympus EM1 Mark II. It's an absolutely brilliant camera and is considered a professional mirrorless. It has a function called Live Composite that takes star trail photography to a new level!

Another spectacular mirrorless camera is the Panasonic GH5. If you are also interested in video this is the one for you.

You have so many fantastic lens choices for these cameras and you can use both brands on either model, increasing your choices.

Nikon and Canon are quite late to the mirrorless game and I'm sure they will catch up but I wouldn't recommend either brand right now--if you're considering the mirrorless switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

"Just sitting and watching my tank like it's a TV."

Current Tank Info: 16G Nano Reef. Started 7-22-2017
Nixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2017, 10:47 AM   #30
SouthFla
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixy View Post
I love the freedom and convenience of these cameras. Does the Nissin flash attach to your hot shoe?
Yep, with full TTL functionality

Current Tank Info: 125G reef, Alk ~8.1, Ca 410, Mg 1350, 1.025SG
SouthFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2017, 11:44 AM   #31
Recty
Registered Member

Quote:
If you are looking to use it for Astrophotograhy you may want to reconsider the Sony and look at Nikon. Apparently Sony has some algorithm that dulls stars with longer exposures
I may have explained myself poorly I already have a dedicated camera for AP. Not a regular camera I'm trying to make do AP, I have a camera designed for AP. It has no filters in front of the sensor except IR/UV, so I catch all those photons that a regular camera blocks. I have a filter wheel which sits in front of it and I choose what filter I want to use, so I can catch very specific wavelengths of light.

FWIW, it's an Atik 383L+ mono. Great camera. I can cool it to 40 degrees celcius below ambient temps, which helps great with keeping noise to a minimum when doing 20 minute photos. It's pretty much essential to have some form of cooling once you get above a few dozen seconds if you want to keep noise down.

So, I'm not looking for a camera for shooting the stars. I'm looking for a good walkaround camera again, and the Sony AR7II just seemed to check all the boxes, other than I dont really want to invest thousands into a body and lenses right at the moment... but the siren is calling out with the sweet Sony song, I'm not sure how long I'll be able to resist.

Unread 09/13/2017, 11:58 AM   #32
shiftline
Registered Member

I have been itching to get an A6500 for a while now. I do weekly reefing YouTube video so I think it would be a great camera. Slowly saving!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Fuson 30L
shiftline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2017, 12:29 PM   #33
IPT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recty View Post
So, I'm not looking for a camera for shooting the stars. I'm looking for a good walkaround camera again, and the Sony AR7II just seemed to check all the boxes, other than I dont really want to invest thousands into a body and lenses right at the moment... but the siren is calling out with the sweet Sony song, I'm not sure how long I'll be able to resist.
Man that sounds like a sweet rig for the Astro.

42 MP seems robust for a walkaround camera but I guess it all depends on your style, wants, and needs. I've read that the Sony 24-240 goes well with it for a walkaround lens if your not using it too much on either end of the focal length (at least for critical sharpness).

IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2017, 06:40 PM   #34
Recty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixy View Post
If you want fast AF and tracking and a camera that is perfect for Astro photography look no further than the Olympus EM1 Mark II. It's an absolutely brilliant camera and is considered a professional mirrorless. It has a function called Live Composite that takes star trail photography to a new level!
I appreciate the advice, I looked up some "stuff" on that camera, the Live Composite shooting does seem interesting.

It isnt the type of AP I do, I'm taking single 20 minute exposures and then stacking 40 of them, but for star trails or other static shots with only certain pixels changing it is a cool shooting mode, I agree.

Unread 09/14/2017, 07:27 PM   #35
BlueCorn
Retired

For Astro stuff you want the S, not the R. A7SII fewer pixels but you can see in the dark.

[I]Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made when establishing tonal relationships. ~ Ansel Adams[/I]
BlueCorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2017, 07:50 PM   #36
Nixy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recty View Post
I appreciate the advice, I looked up some "stuff" on that camera, the Live Composite shooting does seem interesting.

It isnt the type of AP I do, I'm taking single 20 minute exposures and then stacking 40 of them, but for star trails or other static shots with only certain pixels changing it is a cool shooting mode, I agree.

Oh I didn't even read your original post. I was replying to the Nikon suggestion. Yes, I think you know exactly what you want/need for AP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

"Just sitting and watching my tank like it's a TV."

Current Tank Info: 16G Nano Reef. Started 7-22-2017
Nixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2017, 12:00 PM   #37
Recty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCorn View Post
For Astro stuff you want the S, not the R. A7SII fewer pixels but you can see in the dark.
I did look into the A7SII, but the "Star Eater" problem has me a little reluctant. It's hard to tell if it is a real issue or not, but some pictures sure seem to indicate it is.

Regardless, my Atik 383L+ is a better astro camera than anything mirrorless will be I'll stick with that.