Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/17/2019, 07:10 PM   #1
xxkenny90xx
Registered Member

T on drain lines?

I read somewhere that adding a t to my drains and having one end go into the water and the other point straight up (for air to escape) would help keep things quiet, so I did just that. Now I'm reading that you shouldn't add anything to your drains. What is your guys opinion on this? Thanks

xxkenny90xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2019, 08:06 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Drains like you are talking about tend to get noisy when too much water is flowing through them. When the flow rate is correct the water will cling to the sides of the pipe.. Too fast and it starts to combine in the center of the pipe and suck air down with it.
That tends to cause it to "flush" or "gurgle" or just plain be full of air that will bubble up after it enters the sump..

There are times when adding that tee may help some and there are times when an elbow/down turned elbow may work "better"..

In both cases my opinion is that the best solution is to reduce the flow rate as thats really the "cause" of the issue to start with..

Unread 03/18/2019, 09:04 PM   #3
xxkenny90xx
Registered Member

Thanks for the tip, obviously I want the most flow I can get without a bunch of noise. I actually have one drain plumbed with the T and the other going straight into the sump (I ran out of fittings). Not I'm unsure if I should both doing the other one. What exactly do you mean by a 90?

xxkenny90xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2019, 04:46 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxkenny90xx View Post
Thanks for the tip, obviously I want the most flow I can get without a bunch of noise. I actually have one drain plumbed with the T and the other going straight into the sump (I ran out of fittings). Not I'm unsure if I should both doing the other one. What exactly do you mean by a 90?
You really only need 3-5x display tank size if that.. Anymore is just a waste of energy pumping water faster than you can do anything with it..

If you have 2 drains then look into doing a herbie setup..
If you only have one then look into a durso..
If you have 3 go bean animal (<--the best).

Those are all quite proven to work well for that they each are...