Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/12/2015, 02:22 PM   #1
skimjim
Registered Member.

Who came up with Calc, All and Mag ranges?

Is the fact that Calc, Alk and Mag numbers are what they are bc it's what's found in natural seawater?

IMO, Calc and Mag can be much higher for much happier corals.

For years I would keep calc at 420ish.... And Mag at 1240ish.... Per the "recommended ranges"

Here recently I have up-ed calc at 480-520..... And Mag tov1600-1800. All my LPS look soooooo much better. Fleshier, more colorful.

I think the recommend numbers of NSW is crap... And makes your captive corals underperform.

skimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2015, 03:25 PM   #2
outssider
Registered Member

i'll bet if we put you in a room and turn the heat up to 130 degrees you turn a very pretty shade of red and get nice and puffy....that doesn't mean you're going to be happy..

outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2015, 03:38 PM   #3
campos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimjim View Post
Is the fact that Calc, Alk and Mag numbers are what they are bc it's what's found in natural seawater?

IMO, Calc and Mag can be much higher for much happier corals.

For years I would keep calc at 420ish.... And Mag at 1240ish.... Per the "recommended ranges"

Here recently I have up-ed calc at 480-520..... And Mag tov1600-1800. All my LPS look soooooo much better. Fleshier, more colorful.

I think the recommend numbers of NSW is crap... And makes your captive corals underperform.
Why mess with mother nature? Let me guess you like steroids in all your foods as well. Strawberries the size of a baseballs, tomatoes the size softballs, etc

campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2015, 03:53 PM   #4
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

The most important thing is parameter stability, ranges can vary greatly with success.

My 80g: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2677031
joshky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2015, 05:58 PM   #5
skimjim
Registered Member.

Personal attacks shows me exactly how much knowledge you have on the subject....

Has anyone actually dove in scuba gear and saw corals in the wild? 90% of them have faded colors and are only semi impressive. I think a lot more can be achieved in captivity using higher ranges of major elements.

I'm looking for intelligent debates on the subject.

Last edited by skimjim; 09/12/2015 at 06:05 PM.
skimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2015, 06:49 PM   #6
Corona007
Registered Member

I guess if it works and it's not using anything else but what in the natural environment.
Other life forms seem to benefit from higher nutrition environment , Even humans.
Though it could have some adverse effects.
I know my critters seem to benefit from higher than recommended parameters. But it could be just short term.

Corona007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2015, 06:58 PM   #7
joshkirkland83
Registered Member

I agree. Mine are kept that high also and they are great. I have lps and soft.

joshkirkland83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2015, 05:00 AM   #8
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

I do keep my cal and mag high and my alk a bit high and I've seen no issues... but then no real benefits either.

For the people attacking here, stop and think about it this way. How about if we put you in an environment with 20% higher oxygen levels and feed you food with better nutrition? Do you think that would help you feel better and stronger?

Unread 09/13/2015, 05:39 AM   #9
bmrigs
Registered Member

I also wonder if higher ranges are better. Good thread.

bmrigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2015, 05:51 AM   #10
gone fishin
Registered Member

My own personal experience take it as you will. I started out with the lower ranges of the 3. I read an article somewhere awhile back and slowly increased my levels to Alk about 9.5dkh, calc about 450ppm and mag to about 1420. these levels have been maintained for about a year or so and I did see better growth and color.

I do not know if there where any other contributing factors, I can't really say if there was or not.

Current Tank Info: 180gal DT, BM NAC77 skimmer,3 Maxspect razors, Maxspect Gyre 150, 30g QT
gone fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2015, 06:17 AM   #11
figuerres
Registered Member

corals in the wild are also dying from pollution and global warming so how they look in many places is not ideal. no that the ca and Mag in the wild are wrong, many other factors are harming them.

keep in mind that they have grown with stable water parameters for millions of years but a lot of changes in the last 50 years (give or take).
also water pram's around the world do vary some so I would say that what is published is an average value not the exact values at one location. in the past I have seen a salinity map of the world and wow quite a range ... some areas are much higher than others and this is influenced by water flow, temp and effects of fresh water from large rivers and estuaries .... so find where that coral is from and then find the norm for that spot if you want.... but then most tanks have corals and fish from 10 - 20 or more different parts of the world so what to do then ??

:-)

Current Tank Info: 150 reef tank underway, getting it stocked
figuerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2015, 06:39 AM   #12
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

This thread has been moved to the current forum.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2015, 06:42 AM   #13
alten78
Registered Member

I'm wondering who's "recommended numbers" people are referring to? Everything I see the calcium rangesis 380-450 and alk 7-11 dkh. I wouldn't call those "crap" but I certainly wouldn't be having a good time if my tank fluctuated daily between those top and bottom numbers even though they are "within range." That said, the key is balancing the two and stability. I do keep my calc higher because that's how reef crystals has always been for me, but if alk gets too high then ill see burnt tips or some other negative effect. One reason I stopped two part dosing and just stuck with kalk is for it's balance of both...

Current Tank Info: 120g SPS dominated
alten78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2015, 07:14 AM   #14
dkeller_nc
Registered Member

The idea that we are keeping corals and other ocean critters in something akin to their natural environment is incorrect. It's also incorrect to think that we can keep corals in something approaching their natural environment.

As just one example, natural coral reefs are often described as "oligotrophic". While it may (or may not) be true that the waters of remote reefs contain little in the way of dissolved primary nutrients in the form of phosphate, nitrate, etc..., it's wholly incorrect to think of them as nutrient poor. Much like a rainforest, the nutrients are bound up in life - there's a massive amount of nutrients in the waters of a coral reef in the form of living animals.

So trying to mimic the low mineralized nutrient content of a coral reef in a home aquarium is misguided, since it's completely impossible to mimic the other component, which is a thick soup of planktonic life. And has been observed in many cases, trying to do so can result in bleached-out, STN corals.

In a similar vein, it may be just as misguided to expect that maintaining natural ocean water averages of primary minerals would be optimal in the artificial environment of a reef tank.

dkeller_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2015, 03:09 PM   #15
undbulsu
Registered Member

The best "research" I have seen is from Red Sea

Haven't actually seen a peer reviewed study, but their recommendations for LPS corals are Ca 440, Mg 1310, and Alkalinity12./4.3. Not as high as you are running, but higher than what you stated are the standby recommendations.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 450, Geisemann aurora, Vertex 150
undbulsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2015, 03:41 PM   #16
thegrun
Registered Member

I get the best growth at CA: 450, Mg 1350, Alk 9.5, but I see better color at CA: 425, Mg 1350, Alk 8.0

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2015, 06:28 PM   #17
bertoni
RC Mod

This article discusses the recommended ranges, and gives some reasoning behind them:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.htm

Unread 09/13/2015, 07:01 PM   #18
CHSUB
"Certified Hobby Expert"

Has anyone actually dove in scuba gear and saw corals in the wild? 90% of them have faded colors and are only semi impressive. I think a lot more can be achieved in captivity using higher ranges of major elements.

not sure where you're diving, but i've been "blown away" with the color and beauty of some of my dives. i'm also curious where you come up with the 90% figure?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2110638
CHSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2015, 03:18 PM   #19
karimwassef
Registered Member

I've found that Ca and Mg can be low or high as long as they're above a minimum requirement. For me, that's 400-550 on Ca and 1300-1600 on Mg.

The Alk is the unknown ... I keep mine around 7.5-8.5 but this is one that has caused me some pain in colony crashes. Ca and Mg don't have that kind of catastrophic impact IMO.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2015, 05:28 PM   #20
billsreef
10 & Over Club

Just because a coral that looks brown in the wild can turn a bright blue in a tank does not automatically mean it is doing better in the tank than in the wild. As for Ca, Mg, etc., like growing plants in a green house, sometimes slightly elevated levels can increase growth rates.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2015, 02:47 PM   #21
oseymour
Euphyllia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSUB View Post

not sure where you're diving, but i've been "blown away" with the color and beauty of some of my dives. i'm also curious where you come up with the 90% figure?
Just came back from Montego Bay, Jamaica and was blown away by the colors of the reef.
Maybe he's reffering to the way the colors look on TV? Before I went to an actual reef I always wondered why the colors looked muted on TV.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350
oseymour is offline   Reply With Quote