Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/29/2018, 08:00 PM   #1
mcwoodhill
Registered Member

Blue mag

I'm currently working in Beijing and lfs's seem to have quite some cool mags. when i got this one, it was really in bad shape and thus sold to me at a low price even in the local perspective. after 10 day quarantine with cipro, it now looks ok but its mouth keeps quite open with a brown chuck stuck at a corner of it. i tried to remove it with a glass stick but the chunk seems to root deep. ill leave it there, watch it closely and finger cross to myself

you guys can see there's the brown chunk. i guess those chunks literally makes a mag sick coz every time i treat a sick one, it always blows off lots of chunks and then looks good.

its bleached to some point

mcwoodhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2018, 06:25 AM   #2
Pinkskunk
Registered Member

wow that is a very pretty mag. just give it some blow it will expel those waste by itself. if you can suck it out with a turkey baster it would be better but dont use any physical force that may harm it in anyway Good luck with it i hope to see the progress it makes as i have not seen a blue mag on here.

bleaching is due to cipro treatment it will bounce back once the mag is recovered. try NOT to feed it for another week or two.

Pinkskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2018, 11:29 AM   #3
Kinetic
Registered Member

Wow that blue looks intense. Goodluck, hope it does really well. Keep us updated!

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2018, 01:53 PM   #4
LauraGreenImp
Registered Member

So beautiful I can hardly look away. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Current Tank Info: 150gT Mixed Reef - help me trap/remove/destroy my hateful Molly Miller Blennys!
LauraGreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2018, 07:29 PM   #5
garygb
Registered Member

Beautiful!

garygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2018, 11:13 AM   #6
davocean
Registered Member

I'm wondering if the blue has more to do w/ it being bleached, and if it will become more purple as it regains health and true color.

Keep posting pics so we can see how it goes.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2018, 12:25 AM   #7
mcwoodhill
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
I'm wondering if the blue has more to do w/ it being bleached, and if it will become more purple as it regains health and true color.

Keep posting pics so we can see how it goes.
It’s tentacles are starting to get darker/browner

I guess the base and the tips will remain blue while the tentacles become quite brown

Unread 04/01/2018, 05:19 AM   #8
ClownNut
Registered Member

looks like photoshopped. all the coralline algae look odd.

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
ClownNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2018, 09:44 AM   #9
mcwoodhill
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownNut View Post
looks like photoshopped. all the coralline algae look odd.
No ps job at all and I can post a video even without white balance correction

Unread 04/01/2018, 11:25 AM   #10
OrionN
Moved on

Is there anyway you can bring him back to the US?
Color wise, IMO, both blue and purple are nice. I would love to see this guy with white compensated. Regardless, he is an exceptionally nice Magnifica.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2018, 12:16 PM   #11
drtrash
Registered Member

Whats the game plan if it wanders? Would like to have one but never could get them to stay put. Metal halide not an option, awesome blue

drtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2018, 07:17 PM   #12
mcwoodhill
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Is there anyway you can bring him back to the US?
Color wise, IMO, both blue and purple are nice. I would love to see this guy with white compensated. Regardless, he is an exceptionally nice Magnifica.
id really wanna do so but the customs wont be happy about it

Unread 04/01/2018, 07:24 PM   #13
mcwoodhill
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtrash View Post
Whats the game plan if it wanders? Would like to have one but never could get them to stay put. Metal halide not an option, awesome blue
the gyre pumps seem to be less harsh on nems. I once had a ritteri that wandered str8 into a gyre pump but it was blown off of the pump right away with quite some tentacles minced. seemingly it didnt get sucked into the pump and minced up entirely.

Long in short, well, basically i dont have a good way to prevent it from wanderin but i do think MH and strong waves can make 'em stay put. insofar it behaves well. I'll get a pair or trio of occ's this week. finger cross. occ's usually will clean up their home and pick the chunk away

Unread 04/01/2018, 07:44 PM   #14
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtrash View Post
Strong LED light is a good option. That is how I keep mine now. No longer any MH in my house.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2018, 10:36 PM   #15
SI_reef
Registered Member

Wow beautiful mag , best of luck with it.

SI_reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2018, 09:04 PM   #16
davocean
Registered Member

All my mags have stayed put under T5's, w/ a couple LED strips(nothing super strong on LEDs)

Given a high up perch close to that light seems to keep them in place as long as params are stable.

Will be nice to see this one as it colors up.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2018, 12:18 PM   #17
RIGUY314
Registered Member

What a mg! great colors. yes please keep us posted with lots of pictures. a video wouldn't hurt either. best of luck.

upgrade in process - Reef Savvy 60*24*24 rimless mixed reef - w/the works

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 425XL
RIGUY314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2018, 04:20 AM   #18
mcwoodhill
Registered Member

A video clip

https://youtu.be/6vVVp_fC3QE

Unread 04/05/2018, 11:36 AM   #19
Pinkskunk
Registered Member

wow that blue mag is very large and pretty. i like it alot. what did you do with your red carpet and the other mag you used to have with the red carpet? do you know if your blue mag comes from China or elsewhere in Asia?

Pinkskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2018, 03:22 PM   #20
ClownNut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwoodhill View Post
this looks a lot more purple vs the photos a lot bluer. i think it might be a bleached purple.
beautiful mag.

Current Tank Info: 300DD, SM200/RD3,ATI 60-8X80+4X75, 2 Sea Sweep & 4X6105 & 6208
Unread 04/06/2018, 04:50 AM   #21
mcwoodhill
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkskunk View Post
wow that blue mag is very large and pretty. i like it alot. what did you do with your red carpet and the other mag you used to have with the red carpet? do you know if your blue mag comes from China or elsewhere in Asia?
I do think the red had comes from Indonesia

I gifted the red had to a friend when I closed the tank down. The mags were sold and a couple of sps’s and the tank itself

And I set up a smaller tank and left it to my partner. It basically houses some simple sps’s—a forest fire digitata and a green slimer and a gbta

Gotta admit as a rookie he’s insofar doing a pretty good job

Unread 04/06/2018, 04:55 AM   #22
mcwoodhill
Registered Member

Per the blue mag, I guess they come either from the South China Sea or if the seller was correct, they come from Indonesia too

Lfs’s here in beijing seem way more connected to the coral farms and collectors in Indonesia, the Philippines. They sell sps’s in big chunks, which are in the us labeled with fancy names and sold as frags

Haha quite wanna stay longer in Beijing now despite smog and super unstable weather

Unread 04/06/2018, 05:18 AM   #23
ClownNut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwoodhill View Post
Per the blue mag, I guess they come either from the South China Sea or if the seller was correct, they come from Indonesia too

Lfs’s here in beijing seem way more connected to the coral farms and collectors in Indonesia, the Philippines. They sell sps’s in big chunks, which are in the us labeled with fancy names and sold as frags

Haha quite wanna stay longer in Beijing now despite smog and super unstable weather
yeah, when i visited my buddy at Shanghai and Hong Kong, I was ruined. what we got in the US, mostly, the bottom of the barrel.
i was lucky when i was in Beijing, blue sky and visibility was great about 20 blocks. the tourist guide said he don't see that often. the unfortunate part was i didn't get a chance to check out LFS there.

Unread 05/06/2018, 06:54 PM   #24
mcwoodhill
Registered Member

a month mark

Unread 05/06/2018, 07:10 PM   #25
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

Absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!! I'm not even in the market for another magnifica--I have a beautiful one already, but if I saw that at a LFS I'd have to buy it. Great specimen.

My 80g: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2677031
joshky is offline   Reply With Quote