Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/22/2010, 04:28 PM   #1
15Gs
Registered Member

Question Help with future 15 gallon tank

hello,
I am new to reefcentral and I have been reading through the forums for some time and I have decided about doing a 15 gallon.
In it I would like to have a mix of different colored zoa's, maybe a small anemone for the pair of clownfish i want and hopefully a birdsnest SPS frag if it all goes well.
Heres my equipment list: still need help with

-15 gallon AGA: maybe from petco if i can find one
-instant ocean salt
-caribsea arag-alive sand 20 lbs.
-fishneedit.com 2ft/4bulb fixture
-marcorocks or bulkreefsuply dry rock
-couple pounds of live rock to seed
-DIY stand out of 2x3s and skinned

Now the rest i'm still deciding on.
I have an extra 20 high tank that I could use as a sump but i dont know an easy way to drill the tank or setup an overflow to get the water down to the sump.
Thats where I need your guys help. It would be nice to setup a sump but if not in my price range then I will just do an aquaclear 110 fuge mod and a HOB skimmer.

All help and suggestion welcome since i neeed them.
Thanks

15Gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2010, 04:37 PM   #2
lisafoster
so much to learn

Your list of supplies looks great. I did an aquaclear fuge on mine. I think I am going to get an aquaclear 70 so I can have a larger fuge. I have a rio sun led for lighting over the cheato. My tank is only a week old so others may have a better way

Current Tank Info: 125 gallon evolving reef/ 15gallon angler nano reef, 40 gallon breeder reef
lisafoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2010, 05:23 PM   #3
15Gs
Registered Member

Yea I think I got most of it down.
Just need to decide if I'm going to go more simple with hang on tank equipment or find a easy and quiet way to plumb the 15 gallon to one of my extra 10 or 20 gallon tanks as a sump. I'm researching right now.

Unread 06/22/2010, 08:17 PM   #4
Agu
Registered Member

To the Reef Central Nano Forum

For your first tank I'd recommend you keep it simple and use the HOB filter. There's a lot less to go wrong. Not sure you need the skimmer though. It's extra cost/equipment . If you're the type to put off maintenance get the skimmer. If you enjoy working on the tank and will be diligent with water changes skip the skimmer.

I'd skip the anemone, they wander and in a nano that can be fatal.

I had montipora in a zoa filled nano, the zoas grew up and over the montipora and killed it. With healthy zoas a birdsnest could succumb to the same fate. Just a heads up ....

Current Tank Info: 30 gallon half cube and 5.5, both reef tanks
Agu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2010, 08:59 PM   #5
Dipandots
Registered Member

Welcome! Sounds like you have a very similar setup to mine. I just got the new 4 bulb fishneedit fixture and love it. So good choice on that one!

I am running an AC70 with an aquatic life 115 skimmer in it. It works pretty well and if you are trying to stay under $100 I feel it's the best you can get. I'm not too sure on the dimensions for an AC110 but I wonder if you could fit the skimmer in there and have room for some Chaeto...

But as Agu said, if you can keep up on water changes a skimmer shouldn't be necessary. Good luck and have fun!

Unread 06/22/2010, 11:30 PM   #6
15Gs
Registered Member

thanks, its a pleasure to have joined. And thanks for all the help.
Happy I can go simplier with just an Aquaclear filter. The fuge mods looks pretty simple so i think i can pull it off.
Awesome the fishneedit light is good for the price. Was a little worried about its price but now i'll def stick with it.
I'm hoping my parents will buck up and buy a RO unit so i dont have to go to the fish store for ro water. But i plan on keeping up on my water changes and maybe i'll find a cheap skimmer to hang on the back to help with water perameters.

Also, what do you guys recommend for a heater for the tank. One that could fit in the aquaclear and which wattage?

Thank again. Loving the help

Unread 06/23/2010, 10:47 PM   #7
15Gs
Registered Member

So I was planning on building a stand for the tank. Roughly 36" tall.
Do you guys know any plans I can look at for an idea. Not doing a sump so I dont need a big area underneath. And doesn't have to show as being 36", I can alter it. Just need a general idea for help.

Thanks

Unread 07/02/2010, 11:42 PM   #8
chucktd321
Registered Member

did you start your stand? i was searching for reviews on the aquatic life skimmer and i have only heard good things. Im probably getting an ac70 and the skimmer in the next week. Id def buy dry rock from BRS. I just got 5 lbs from them last week and they have the best dry rock i have seen. Ordered from them twice and always was happy with the rock i got

chucktd321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
15 gallon