Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/18/2013, 04:33 PM   #26
kjardine519
question master

one day ill be a master like yourself. im still a grasshopper

Current Tank Info: 40 breeder reef
kjardine519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2013, 06:59 PM   #27
orteh22
Registered Member

got me drolling with amazing corals. I've just started the hobby and i'm glad i saw your tank.

orteh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2013, 11:46 PM   #28
MammothReefer
Registered Member

Thank you for the complements, it truly is an honor.

I apologize for the late responses to this thread, but I will try my best to answer any questions.

@Fernando Chang - I tend to feed the corals a few times I week. Although I didn't have a regular regiment. There were periods where I would feed daily for weeks and then not feed for days or weeks. I had my best results when I really stayed on top of it though, but even with that said I fed much less then the recommended amount.

@Trevor40 - I would try to change the GFO it every 2-3 months when I changed my carbon. Since I have a duel chamber reactor it was just easier to change them both at the same time. However there were a few times that I ended up with some Cyano and I would then change it more frequently and increase the amount of GFO until it went away.

@rdamaro - The tank was setup for around 3 years. It migrated from over from my 34g. I would say majority of the corals started out as frags or maricultured pieces. However I do have a number of pieces that I bought as wild colonies that came started off at a decent size. I have a collection of pictures on this thread that show the progress of the corals growing - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2243991

Current Tank Info: 105 Peninsula
MammothReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2013, 07:26 PM   #29
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Congrats on a beautiful tank.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2013, 04:51 PM   #30
djsmallz
Registered Member

Very nice tank, Can I ask are you going barebottom on the tank? If so is it just bare glass or starboard?

Current Tank Info: Dual stacked 40 breeders with sump. Halide/led combo up top T5/led combo on bottom
djsmallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2013, 03:50 AM   #31
MammothReefer
Registered Member

The tank started off with sand but I found it was too shallow of a tank to have sand and the flow I needed so I ended up siphoning it out over the course of 6 months. It ended up being bare glass. This new tank is bare bottom from the start and bare glass as well, but in both cases my rock work was pretty low and not very intricate if something were to fall over it would most likely hit a side panel or land on some flat rocks I have across the bottom.

Current Tank Info: 105 Peninsula
MammothReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2013, 12:36 AM   #32
dodgerblew
Registered Member

Just saw this. Congrats Brahm. You have come a long way from your Blasto-man days. Very impressive

Obladi Oblada, life goes on Brah!

Current Tank Info: Tankless in TX and watching from the sidelines
dodgerblew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2014, 02:10 PM   #33
mandarin417
Registered Member

Halides heigh from water

Great tank featured last year! I am coming back to reef tanks after a 12 year break. I was using halides back then and want to do so again even though it seems LEDs are in vogue. May I ask how far from the surface your have hung your halides? I was running two 400W halides over a 58G oceanic with great success. Probably more light than needed - one was 6500 and the other was 20K. SPS loved the lights. Best to you, Bob

mandarin417 is offline   Reply With Quote