Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/28/2014, 06:09 PM   #1
Sundog101
Registered Member

Need Help With Disease!

Ok, I need some help figuring out whats going on with my tank. Yesterday, I lost a clown fish and now some of my other fish are acting strangely.

Heres some background info on the tank. Its 29g biocube, been running for 1 month, Im running stock lighting, tank occupants are 1 bluespotted goby, 1 royal gramma, 2 clownfish (only 1 now), water params:
Ammonia-0 ppm
Nitrite-0 ppm
Nitrate-15 ppm
Calcium-360 ppm
KH-10 dKH
Phosphate-0.2 ppm

Well I picked up the clown fish pair 4 days ago on Wednesday. They were drip acclimated for 1 hour and seemed to be doing great. Then 2 days later I noticed a whitish feces trail on one of the clowns and he was swimming vertically. He stopped eating and seemed very disorientated so I moved him to the QT tank. My goby lost his appetite the same day and was not eating well. The next day he completely stopped eating. I've had him for about 2 weeks now and he's always hungry so I thought it was strange that he wouldn't eat anything. The next day the one clown died in QT. The goby still would not eat. Later that day I noticed the other clown start to swim vertically in one spot just as the other one did. Ive noticed rapid respiration in the goby. He usually stays in a cave, but he's been out for about 2 days (dont know if that means anything) My royal gramma seems to be doing fine.

Update: My goby started acting really disoriented so I moved him to the QT tank. He's not doing well and keeps flipping on his side. I tried to feed him some anti biotic food but he wont eat.

I thought this could possibly be an internal parasite, but I'm not really sure. Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

Sundog101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2014, 06:12 PM   #2
Sundog101
Registered Member

Sorry, just realized I posted this twice.

Unread 09/28/2014, 08:30 PM   #3
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog101 View Post
Then 2 days later I noticed a whitish feces trail on one of the clowns and he was swimming vertically.
^^^ This is a symptom of intestinal parasites. Treat with metronidazole in a QT or soak their food with it in the DT.

Btw, that's a lot of fish added for a 1 month old tank. I wouldn't be surprised if you weren't experiencing some brief ammonia spikes.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2014, 06:52 AM   #4
Sundog101
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. Im thinking one of the clownfish introduced a parasite and like you said there could have been some short ammonia spikes that stressed them to the point the they picked it up. Btw, my goby didn't make it. The other fish seem to be doing ok. If there was a parasite would I need to treat my whole tank? My plan was to just watch the other fish and not introduce anything new for a month.

Unread 09/30/2014, 07:46 AM   #5
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog101 View Post
If there was a parasite would I need to treat my whole tank?
I would at least soak all their food in metro and watch for further symptoms i.e. white stringy poop.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clownfish, disease, goby, parasite