Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 11/07/2011, 04:30 PM   #1
HeneryH
Henery Hawk

Apex Android App - minor update posted to market

I will be posting an update to the market shortly with a bug fix for the force-close error when profile outlets are present.

GopherSpidey is still working an overhaul of the internal workings of the app to make it more robust. As he does this redesign it may be frustrating because it takes a lot of time to rework it with no visible new features coming. The up-side though will be a much more stable app. It will be worth it in the long run.

In the mean time, I have been getting too many emails about the force-close error when you change outlets if there are any profile outlets set. I finally buckled down and found the error, it was like one line of code, doh! There are a couple of users testing the fix now and I will post it shortly so you should see an update message from the market. Sorry for the delay, after working the previous versions so hard I took a break for a bit.

I also added a 'donate' feature if you want to help motivate the developers for new features or just say thanks. This really is an optional item and is pretty much out of view for most operations. Many of you already paid the $3 for the app earlier before I made the whole thing free and I really thank you for that support. After Google gets their 30%, Spidey will get the lion's share of any donations to keep his enthusiasm up.

Changes:
  • Fixed force-close error during outlet changes.
  • Removed the prune concept since that was for early development.
  • Added a donate menu item. Really, only if you feel the desire. Google will take their 30%.

Open Bug List:
  • Screen does not update after sending the change command. You need to use the reload button.
  • Widget does not update after a full app update. It will wait for the next regularly scheduled update on the widget side.
  • Blank outlet names cause XML parser errors.
  • Duplicate names may cause problems.
  • Requesting a reload during a current action causes a force-close.

Not errors, but high priority enhancements:
  • GopherSpidey is working a total re-architecture of the system internals to make the app more robust overall.
  • Make outlet changes happen automatically rather than have to go down to the bottom and press 'change.'
  • App polls the controller every x mins per the preference setting. Data is available however on the controller at a much higher resolution on the controller. I'd like to grab that high resolution data whenever the graphs are initiated.
  • Trap more errors entering the url such as if the user puts in the status.sht part which I don't want in the url.

Future Enhancements:
  • User settable background image
  • Manual parameters such as alk/ca/etc
  • Notes
  • Export xml data via email
  • Inhabitants database with pics.

Here are the screen-shots of the app:

Unread 11/07/2011, 06:04 PM   #2
Jerdel
Registered Member

Nice I will be definately dontating once I get it and get my apex hooked up!

Unread 11/07/2011, 08:18 PM   #3
dad1st
Registered Member

Thanks Henry i appreciate all of the hard work everyone has put into this program.
I bought this program when it first came out, and think that i will enjoy all the new features.

Unread 11/08/2011, 06:53 AM   #4
royvoss
Registered Member

great jop, as sonn as the update hits my phione i will donate to the casuse.love the app

Unread 11/08/2011, 07:56 AM   #5
HeneryH
Henery Hawk

Small hiccup, I corrected a bug when using profiles for control but one of my beta testers has Vortech control and this is the first time I've seen that. They have a fourth column in the table saying 'OK' ??? I have to figure out what to do with that.

This is one of the troubles with reverse engineering an app.

I may post the correction for profiles today and work the Vortech control immediately after.

edit - can someone with Vortech control pm me the results of your XML status screen accessible from your main web page XML menu??

Last edited by HeneryH; 11/08/2011 at 08:10 AM.
Unread 11/08/2011, 09:25 AM   #6
RussM
Registered Member

PM on the way soon, HeneryH

Unread 11/08/2011, 11:52 AM   #7
Oblivionis
Registered Member

Bought the app last year.

Here is my one suggestion. Recently, for some reason, once in a while, my Apex becomes unaccessible. This issue is resolved by restarting the controller but sometimes it takes me days to realize this is happening. During that time I might be missing some important alerts. Would it be possible to add some kind of notification by the app after a certain number of failed attempts to connect to the controller?

Current Tank Info: 120g reef
Unread 11/09/2011, 02:37 PM   #8
pweissma
Registered Member

If you post a paypal acct I'll send you some money that way rather than through google. That should save you about 25%.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Unread 11/09/2011, 04:16 PM   #9
HeneryH
Henery Hawk

I'm really hesitant to discuss donations here because I've head threads deleted back when there was a premium and lite versions.

Now the app is free and without any obligation.

I do appreciate the suggestions though and will modify the appropriate screens on the app accordingly

I fixed the vortech control and will test it over the next day or so. While I was at it I also made the change so outlet changes happen immediately after the selection is changed rather than having to go to the bottom and hit the 'change' button.

There are always new wrinkles in the controller and that makes it fun.

Unread 11/10/2011, 06:36 AM   #10
Dallas Reefer
Moved On

Tab version?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Unread 11/11/2011, 08:10 AM   #11
pweissma
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeneryH View Post
While I was at it I also made the change so outlet changes happen immediately after the selection is changed rather than having to go to the bottom and hit the 'change' button.
This sounds a little scary. Hope there is some safeguard to prevent a pocket outlet change. It could cause a flood or tank crash.

Sorry. I don't intend to sound negative and I really appreciate the app.

Unread 11/11/2011, 10:03 AM   #12
RussM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pweissma View Post
This sounds a little scary. Hope there is some safeguard to prevent a pocket outlet change. It could cause a flood or tank crash.
The iPhone/iPad apps are the the same as HeneryH plans... immediate outlet change. I have not seen any reports of issues with this more-convenient behavior.

Unread 11/11/2011, 11:51 AM   #13
HeneryH
Henery Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pweissma View Post

Sorry. I don't intend to sound negative and I really appreciate the app.
I had a batch two-step at first where you set any outlets you want to change then go to the bottom and hit the 'change' button.

Too many people hated that strategy.

Unread 11/12/2011, 06:26 PM   #14
HeneryH
Henery Hawk

Here is a copy of the new version. If some people can check it out before I update the market version I would appreciate it.

Just one item to note, if the outlet is a profile or vortec then I just ignore the change request without any feedback to the user.

Oops, too big of a file to upload. PM me and I will email you a copy.

Unread 11/15/2011, 03:06 PM   #15
HeneryH
Henery Hawk

The update has been pushed. Please note that after installing the update, your widget will not have any data until the next timer firing (ie 15 mins or whatever yours is set to).

To be honest, I really didn't have the energy to figure out how to fix it. It is a one-time issue when you install the new version. Just let it sit for 15 mins or remove/add the widget.

The new version will initiate the outlet change protocol immediately after the change is set on the screen.

This update notices if the outlet is a regular on/off/auto outlet or a special case of vortec/profile controlled one. Again, getting lazy, I just ignore the special case outlets because I didn't get into the details of how they work.

Oh, forgot, I noticed that the common method for pushing updates to the controller between the Apex and ACiii failed to work when only updating one outlet. Very strange. In my experimentation I just set the app to hardcode to the Apex way. Until I post another update you ACiii users might want to hold off. Your outlet updates may not work. I will put the aciii/apex condition back in shortly. Sorry forgot about that until just now.

Unread 11/15/2011, 03:10 PM   #16
HeneryH
Henery Hawk

Russ, Ken or any other app programmers, have you noticed the issue discussed in the final paragraph above?

Posting the form with the cgi-bin/status.xml path in the form worked for all the outlets but with just one it failed with an invalid http response coming from the Apex. If I use the status.sht in the form name/value pairs it works fine.

Unread 11/15/2011, 04:08 PM   #17
kenargo
Premium Member

Quote:
Russ, Ken or any other app programmers, have you noticed the issue discussed in the final paragraph above?

Posting the form with the cgi-bin/status.xml path in the form worked for all the outlets but with just one it failed with an invalid http response coming from the Apex. If I use the status.sht in the form name/value pairs it works fine.

I support the same facility in the Windows Phone 7 App, no problems that I have ever seen and I personally use it often.

Click on my name to visit my homepage and access a collection of AquaController and Apex software, tips, trick and other Q&A including a link to the 'unofficial Apex new users guide' with loads of helpful information and don't forget to put a pin in my location map.

Current Tank Info: 225G, BK 300 Deluxe, Deltec PF601, Precision Marine Kalkreactor, 2-LMIII+6 pumps, SpectraPure UHE, Apex, LunarSim, Tunze 6305s. Mixed reef, clam, fish, etc.
Unread 11/15/2011, 04:24 PM   #18
RussM
Registered Member

Quote:
I only do read-only stuff. Never tried posting back to the controller.

Unread 11/15/2011, 07:53 PM   #19
MTWiley
Registered Member

I downloaded the app yesterday and it was working great, sadly when I updated through the market today I can't click on the widget or it crashes the app, but the widget works and luckily it's not affecting my controller. Tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling still getting the same problem. It opens for a few seconds, looks like it's loading(spinning circle top left) and then says:

Sorry!
The application Apex(process org.dvrc.apex) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

Unread 11/15/2011, 10:51 PM   #20
pencil3
Registered Member

Same thing happens with mine, installed via the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTWiley View Post
I downloaded the app yesterday and it was working great, sadly when I updated through the market today I can't click on the widget or it crashes the app, but the widget works and luckily it's not affecting my controller. Tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling still getting the same problem. It opens for a few seconds, looks like it's loading(spinning circle top left) and then says:

Sorry!
The application Apex(process org.dvrc.apex) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

Unread 11/16/2011, 01:16 AM   #21
RussM
Registered Member

Updated from the previous version, and running fine here on a rooted Nook Color.

Unread 11/16/2011, 07:20 AM   #22
jrpark22000
Registered Member

What version of android is everyone running? My phone w/ rooted 2.2 is running and Apex app without issue. Are the issues on a new android version; 2.3, 4.x or custom?

Unread 11/16/2011, 07:43 AM   #23
royvoss
Registered Member

mime updated today and i too am having an issue, when an outlet is changed from manuel to auto or vise versa the change never happens . the display chages back when i reload, worked fine for the pervious version. will play with it later.

Unread 11/16/2011, 07:48 AM   #24
dad1st
Registered Member

Hello Joseph i am running the app on a samsung fascinate firmware version 2.2.2 .
When i first bought the app i could turn things on and off But if memory serves me right there was an up date for a bug fix and after that i was unable to do anything other then just monitor my apex readings.
I installed the update that was sent to me yesterday and it didn't make much of a difference other then the donate button on the pop up screen,
I reinstalled it three times and that hasn't helped at all.
The app will update it self and i can tell if an outlet is on or off and if it is set to manual or auto but can't change anything.
This is all i have been able to scenes the previous up date.

Last edited by dad1st; 11/16/2011 at 08:05 AM.
Unread 11/16/2011, 08:09 AM   #25
royvoss
Registered Member

is there any way to reinstall the old version, that worked fine , or were can i find it. this is agreat app. i am a way from home alot and this thing helps alot.

Closed Thread