Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/19/2014, 02:12 PM   #1
kw22
Registered Member

Seeding live rock.

Hi,my name is Caoimhín and I am in Éire!I am going to be setting up a 80 gallon fowlr system in the near future.Would 5 pounds of live rock be enough to seef 70 pounds of ocean rock?Thanks

Current Tank Info: All freshwater at the moment.Hoping to set up a marine tank in the future.
kw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2014, 02:48 PM   #2
Fade2White12
Registered Member

Absolutely. That's like putting in one smallish rock. Now, just know the cycle may be slower considering the small amount of rock you put in there, but it will do its job (in time) just as well as more rock.

But if you would like to potentially "pick up the pace" of the cycle and maturation of your tank, you may want a little bit more than that.

Fade2White12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2014, 09:04 PM   #3
ardsman
Registered Member

Hi kw I am from Belfast in the North, live in the States now,

Current Tank Info: 67g rr, 30g sump, rlssr6i skimmer, Dsuny LED's Apex controller
ardsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2014, 03:01 AM   #4
kw22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardsman View Post
Hi kw I am from Belfast in the North, live in the States now,
Lucky You!!

Current Tank Info: All freshwater at the moment.Hoping to set up a marine tank in the future.
Unread 08/20/2014, 03:03 AM   #5
kw22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade2White12 View Post
Absolutely. That's like putting in one smallish rock. Now, just know the cycle may be slower considering the small amount of rock you put in there, but it will do its job (in time) just as well as more rock.

But if you would like to potentially "pick up the pace" of the cycle and maturation of your tank, you may want a little bit more than that.
Thanks for your help! could you recommend a good ratio for the rock to be seeded in about 8 months or so?

Unread 08/20/2014, 04:18 AM   #6
Titans_Reef
Registered Member

When I set up my 125g I used 120lbs of dry rock and 20lbs or so live rock. My new tank is a 40g breeder which I dried all the rock out for a month and just rinsed them off. After my tank cycled I just bought a bag of pods to seed the rocks. You don't really need LR to cycle your tank. The 40g I used LS and dry rock while my 125g I used some LR and some LS, about 50/50 live and dry sand. Both are doing great. Like Fade2White12 said, you don't need a lot of LR to seed it but it will take some time. By 8 months your rocks should be seeded if you add a small piece of rock or even if you ask your LFS for the mud on the bottom of their LR holding tank. It has tons of bacteria that will help your tank grow. That's what I used also while cycling my tanks to establish a bacteria colony.

Titans_Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2014, 08:01 AM   #7
kw22
Registered Member

Thanks for the help guys!I think I might add a couple of pounds to the refugium.

Unread 08/20/2014, 12:36 PM   #8
Shivsreef
Registered Member

I would say at least ten percent to seed I'm from Shannon but moved to Florida to help my uncle at his shop in Florida

Unread 08/21/2014, 03:23 AM   #9
kw22
Registered Member

Okay,10 percent I will do.I love it around Shannon!