Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/25/2011, 06:35 PM   #26
Baldwin
Registered Member

I'm sure this has been discussed and I missed it but what is the target DKh for this tank peter or Mr. Wilson, or if someone has a link to the discussion I would appreciate it, the tank is looking amazing by the way!

Baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2011, 01:52 PM   #27
SeabassSA
Registered Member

Cool split.

SeabassSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2011, 09:52 PM   #28
Padrino
Registered Member

Congrats with the split.

Great update peter! In terms of your mangrove system, you mentioned that the growth is great from the plasmas however the heat and nuisance algae was very evident. Hopefully switching over to LEDs will reduce these issues but will most likely slow the growth on the mangrove. Do you even need to have fast growth on them? Will that make a difference in terms of nutrient export?

I look forward to Shawn's new store, I will travel from Barrie to visit!
Cheers
Rob

Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2011, 11:28 PM   #29
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino View Post
Congrats with the split.

Great update peter! In terms of your mangrove system, you mentioned that the growth is great from the plasmas however the heat and nuisance algae was very evident. Hopefully switching over to LEDs will reduce these issues but will most likely slow the growth on the mangrove. Do you even need to have fast growth on them? Will that make a difference in terms of nutrient export?

I look forward to Shawn's new store, I will travel from Barrie to visit!
Cheers
Rob
I got lost in the split and preoccupied with the store project, so I will try to catch up. I have been posting on behalf of Orphek in their sponsor forum here on RC and when the dust settles will be posting more often here.

As you all know, reef tanks are never "done", and I think that is what keeps it interesting. We will have some updates in the coming weeks as we continue to fine tune Peter's aquarium.

I'm not sure if it's the slow flow rate or plasma lighting that is causing the red candy floss algae (Asparagopsis taxiformis) bloom. We will change just the lighting and see if that slows it down. I am working on some new multi chip LED fixtures for Orphek that we will test with the mangrove system soon.

I have never seen mangroves grow at the rate at which Peter's have. Hopefully the secret isn't the plasma lights and the LEDs are as good or better.

mr.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2011, 10:26 AM   #30
Scej12
Registered Member

Exciting times Shawn - Great to hear a new store is on the horizon. Best of luck with all the setup, I'm sure the Life support system will be an absolute gem. Please be sure to keep us locals updated.

Regards,

Sheldon

Scej12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2011, 11:08 AM   #31
StevieK
Registered Member

Mr. Wilson

Store ??? ... I was waiting for the book !!!

StevieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2011, 09:45 PM   #32
swissgaurd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wilson View Post
I got lost in the split and preoccupied with the store project, so I will try to catch up. I have been posting on behalf of Orphek in their sponsor forum here on RC and when the dust settles will be posting more often here.

As you all know, reef tanks are never "done", and I think that is what keeps it interesting. We will have some updates in the coming weeks as we continue to fine tune Peter's aquarium.

I'm not sure if it's the slow flow rate or plasma lighting that is causing the red candy floss algae (Asparagopsis taxiformis) bloom. We will change just the lighting and see if that slows it down. I am working on some new multi chip LED fixtures for Orphek that we will test with the mangrove system soon.

I have never seen mangroves grow at the rate at which Peter's have. Hopefully the secret isn't the plasma lights and the LEDs are as good or better.
shawn
miracle mud and mangroves area very good mix.if you were to take a water sample from within the mud youll more than likely find very high nitrates wich mangroves like,above the mud you should see 0 nitrates, i never tested mud for phosphates so cant comment on that.
also i have found that candyfloss grows extremly well with low flow,ive seen it on the tops of sps when they start growing at the surface of the water,especially if theres not much turbulance,ive seen it with T5 and metal halide lighting,so i dont think its the plasma.

congrats on the new store

vic

swissgaurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2011, 11:15 AM   #33
ksed
Registered Member

Mr. Wilson

Congrats. on the new store!

ksed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2011, 05:06 PM   #34
chatyak
Registered Member

"BTW, I want to post a message regarding the use of Copper. It is a known catalyst of angioneogenesis in humans, which means it promotes the generation of new blood vessels. Since most Cancers spread by a process of angioneogenesis it's best to avoid exposure to Copper. If for example you are using an airstone in a copper treated tank it would be wise not to breath the mist by wearing a mask, avoid skin contact by wearing latex gloves and generally minimize exposure."

Hang on a second here.... are you saying that simple exposure like water splashing on your hand/arm from a QT with cupramine, is going to give you cancer? This seems rather stretched...

Unread 12/09/2011, 06:11 PM   #35
TonyV
Registered Member

Peter - Happy Holidays to you and your family. Last X-Mas you put us all in awe with your decorating for the holidays. Do you have any similar photos from this year? I'm using it for inspiration for my wife that a larger tank can still look good in a house during the holidays.

Unread 12/09/2011, 06:27 PM   #36
blkg35
Registered Member

Congrats on the split!
Peter, looking forward to updated pics of the entire setup and the Xmas tree...
Congrats Mr. Wilson on the new store. I have no doubt it will be successful.

blkg35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2011, 07:18 PM   #37
TonyV
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkg35 View Post
Congrats on the split!
Peter, looking forward to updated pics of the entire setup and the Xmas tree...
Congrats Mr. Wilson on the new store. I have no doubt it will be successful.

I think you meant trees. His house had like 6 of them last year.

Unread 12/09/2011, 09:50 PM   #38
scubaman2
Registered Member

I just started reading. Only through the first 10 pages. You have a great tank!

scubaman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2011, 10:13 PM   #39
scubaman2
Registered Member

Is there a photo album set up of your pictures that can be accessed?

scubaman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2011, 11:02 PM   #40
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatyak View Post
"BTW, I want to post a message regarding the use of Copper. It is a known catalyst of angioneogenesis in humans, which means it promotes the generation of new blood vessels. Since most Cancers spread by a process of angioneogenesis it's best to avoid exposure to Copper. If for example you are using an airstone in a copper treated tank it would be wise not to breath the mist by wearing a mask, avoid skin contact by wearing latex gloves and generally minimize exposure."

Hang on a second here.... are you saying that simple exposure like water splashing on your hand/arm from a QT with cupramine, is going to give you cancer? This seems rather stretched...
It won't give u cancer ...
Cancer cells spread/grow very rapidly, which means they need oxygen, which in turn means they will try to generate more blood vessels within and around themselves. Now exposure to excessive copper can aid them with their "berating task". same idea is used in photodynamic therapy, where profeline is injected and it concentrates in most rapid growing parts of body, ie. Nails, hair, Cancer .... And then by focusing light we kill the cancer cell ...

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2011, 06:53 PM   #41
msr224
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubaman2 View Post
Is there a photo album set up of your pictures that can be accessed?
www.petersfishtank.com

Enjoy!!!! See you in a day or two..... LOL!!!!!

Current Tank Info: Just a mixed reef tank.
msr224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2011, 07:43 PM   #42
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msr224 View Post
www.petersfishtank.com

Enjoy!!!! See you in a day or two..... LOL!!!!!
Thanks.....I'm hoping for a major christmas photo update in the next week. I am also hoping to put up a video using my new GoPro Hero2 camera that Chingchai has as well. I took some test material straight out of the box and I am quite impressed with the results. All I need now is to take the time to get it right for this community.

Peter

Current Tank Info: SW mixed reef 1350 gal in progress
nineball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2011, 08:14 PM   #43
msr224
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
Thanks.....I'm hoping for a major christmas photo update in the next week. I am also hoping to put up a video using my new GoPro Hero2 camera that Chingchai has as well. I took some test material straight out of the box and I am quite impressed with the results. All I need now is to take the time to get it right for this community.

Peter
The gopro's are really impressive for their size and cost. Hard to believe that such a simple camera can take such good video. We have used them on four wheeler rides in the mountains.

Current Tank Info: Just a mixed reef tank.
msr224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2011, 10:38 AM   #44
chingchai
Premium Member

Quote:

Peter
Peter.
Please give us some motivation.
We need it so much!

chingchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2011, 11:09 AM   #45
jdpiii3
Registered Member

Wow Peter what a amazing system keep up the great work. I would love to have your thoughts on my system when you have a moment.

Current Tank Info: 400 gal in wall – Sun-Lit with two 21” Sun-Domes 72x36x36 400lbs l.r. & sand 2 ReeFlo Super Dart Gold return pumps, 120g Sump, My Reef Creations MR-6R Recirculating Protein Skimmer, 2 MP60's/ Tank Video on Youtube
jdpiii3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2011, 11:40 AM   #46
nuccadoc
Registered Member

jdpii3 is your avatar a picture of you with Rush?

Current tank info: 34 gal Solana and a 400 gal FOWLR with 4-250 watt MH's, Aquamedic Turboflotor 5000, Korralin sulphur denitrator, 4-Koralia 7's. 120 gal LED sps reef in the works. Currently raising true Perc's.
nuccadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2011, 11:54 AM   #47
jdpiii3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuccadoc View Post
jdpii3 is your avatar a picture of you with Rush?
yes, yes it is! I follow them when they are touring seen them 80 times

Current Tank Info: 400 gal in wall – Sun-Lit with two 21” Sun-Domes 72x36x36 400lbs l.r. & sand 2 ReeFlo Super Dart Gold return pumps, 120g Sump, My Reef Creations MR-6R Recirculating Protein Skimmer, 2 MP60's/ Tank Video on Youtube
jdpiii3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2011, 12:32 PM   #48
nuccadoc
Registered Member

Peter, clock is ticking.....you have 9 days to post you Christmas update!

Current tank info: 34 gal Solana and a 400 gal FOWLR with 4-250 watt MH's, Aquamedic Turboflotor 5000, Korralin sulphur denitrator, 4-Koralia 7's. 120 gal LED sps reef in the works. Currently raising true Perc's.
nuccadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2011, 12:43 PM   #49
SnelgroveReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpiii3 View Post
yes, yes it is! I follow them when they are touring seen them 80 times
I was asking myself the same question! Very cool, even in that small of a pic and Geddy is still recognizable.

PS - Still, no where near as cool as this tank!

Merry Christmas all,
Mark

Current Tank Info: 90g in-wall w/ 30g sump & 10g ref., MAS Ca/O2 reactor, Vertex IN-180 Protien Skimmer, 2 x 400w MH, 130w 50/50 PC - mixed reef
SnelgroveReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2011, 01:39 PM   #50
CalmSeasQuest
Registered Member

Quote:

Peter
Hi Peter,

I also purchased a GoPro Hero2 but haven't had a chance to play with it yet. I'm especially excited knowing that you and Chingchai are impressed with its performance.

Looking forward to underwater photos and video

Merry Christmas!

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

Current Tank Info: 96X30" 270Gal, Kessil 360WEs, BK250 Double Cone, 400 gal ASW station with continuous water change
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote