Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/17/2018, 04:14 PM   #1
hkgar
Registered Member

Tang, strange behavior

We need a forum called something like "fish psychoanalysis"
Why is my Purple Tang swimming into my Montipora Cap and doing this for about an minute than swimming away only to return a few minutes later an doing it again?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3tpmjtGxC1yytgjP8

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 04:36 PM   #2
Gorgok
Registered Member

Do tangs do the same egg fanning thing clowns do?

Gorgok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 05:30 PM   #3
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
We need a forum called something like "fish psychoanalysis"
Why is my Purple Tang swimming into my Montipora Cap and doing this for about an minute than swimming away only to return a few minutes later an doing it again?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3tpmjtGxC1yytgjP8
Is it rubbing any part of its body? Maybe it has an itch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgok View Post
Do tangs do the same egg fanning thing clowns do?
No, tangs are egg scatters, they dont attach their eggs to a substrate.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 05:32 PM   #4
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod1404 View Post
Is it rubbing any part of its body? Maybe it has an itch.
No, does not appear to be rubbing.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 08/17/2018, 05:37 PM   #5
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
No, does not appear to be rubbing.
Hmm that is very strange. Maybe it is mistaking the bright color of the monti for a type of cleaner.

I had an anthias that would stand next to a red glass thermometer over and over again. Is stopped doing it after I got red cleaner shrimp, now it does the same behavior towards the shrimp. I assume the bright red color of the thermometer caused the anthias to mistake it for a cleaner shrimp.

Do you have any cleaner shrimp or cleaner fish like neon gobies?

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2018, 06:25 PM   #6
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Maybe he's trying to tell somebody to stay clear, this is mine?

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2018, 09:20 AM   #7
tonyjd34
Registered Member

looks stressed to me.

tonyjd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2018, 09:44 AM   #8
hkgar
Registered Member

No cleaners in the tank

Stress is doubtful. I have had him for 3+ years and this behavior has just started. No new additions to the tank in over 6 months.

The bully in the tank is my Atlantic Blue but he pretty much only goes after my Two Barred rabbitfish and that is only at feeding time. He doesn't like to share.

Unread 08/18/2018, 03:47 PM   #9
RioReefr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod1404 View Post
Maybe it is mistaking the bright color of the monti for a type of cleaner.
I think he is right. I had a tang that would hover over a cleaner shrimp (just like that for a minute). It could be some pest or itch (not ich) he is trying to rid. My tang liked peppermint shrimps too and let them crawl all over him until he got annoyed and dashed off.

RioReefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2018, 09:27 PM   #10
ROlympia
Registered Member

I have two thoughts: one, there's good flow there. My brown tang does similar in the current of a powerhead.

Second: he's about to poop and he can catch the poop better if he does it there. Mine does that as well.

ROlympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2018, 06:12 AM   #11
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROlympia View Post
I have two thoughts: one, there's good flow there. My brown tang does similar in the current of a powerhead.

Second: he's about to poop and he can catch the poop better if he does it there. Mine does that as well.
Why would it want to "catch the poop"? True when my large fish, particularly the herbivores, poop a type of feeding frenzy starts, but they generally spit it out.

Unread 08/19/2018, 08:24 PM   #12
ROlympia
Registered Member

Quote:
Why would it want to "catch the poop"? True when my large fish, particularly the herbivores, poop a type of feeding frenzy starts, but they generally spit it out.
Mine always catches its poop and eats it. He'll wait behind the other fish and eat their's too - especially the starry blenny which makes big poops.

ROlympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2018, 10:07 AM   #13
hkgar
Registered Member

I thought only dogs did that. I had a dog that would stand by the cat box when the cat went, to get it straight from the oven. sorry, disgusting.