Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/20/2006, 05:05 PM   #1
rich99rich
Premium Member

Help! Crack in my tank!

I have a 150g acrylic tank. I thought acrylic tanks are not supposed to crack, but I guess I'm unlucky. There is a crack on the top panel that has been creeping toward the front panel. In fact, it's at a point where it looks like it's touching the front panel. Will this crack continue on to the front panel, or will it stop? How do I make it stop?

rich99rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2006, 05:08 PM   #2
GraviT
Registered Member

If the top panel is glued to the front, it should stop. If the top bends into the front, then it isn't likely to stop. Hope this makes some kind of sense.

Current Tank Info: Custom 162g, 40g sump/fuge, black box LEDs, Skimz Octa SC165i, Skimz Ca reactor, a real CO2 regulator, 2016 Apex
GraviT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2006, 05:10 PM   #3
whiteshark
Registered Member

Uh oh. Sounds like its time for a new tank. I wouldn't take the chance of losing everything and having a flood of mythic proportions in my living room. I don't know of a way of fixing this, maybe some1 else will, but I dont think there is a way.

Unread 03/20/2006, 05:16 PM   #4
rich99rich
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GraviT
If the top panel is glued to the front, it should stop. If the top bends into the front, then it isn't likely to stop. Hope this makes some kind of sense.
The top is glued to the front, so I hope it stops! I am going to call the manufacturer to see if they can offer any tips.

Unread 03/20/2006, 05:23 PM   #5
MCary
Premium Member

Can you fill the crack with weld-on and fix it? Can you stop drill it?

MCary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2006, 05:36 PM   #6
phlipper84
Registered Member

was thinking of perhaps cutting the crack out. As long as it wasn't on one of the seams or cross-braces it should work. How thick is the acrylic?

phlipper84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2006, 05:53 PM   #7
rich99rich
Premium Member

I don't think I can cut the crack out, as it is right at the point where it intersects the front panel. I believe the acrylic is 1/2", but I am not certain. I will measure when I get home.

I don't think I can fill the crack because it looks too thin. It starts out relatively large, but by the time it gets to the front panel, it is super thin.

I did some research online, and it seems like the heat from metal halides can cause deficiencies in the acrylic, which is probably the case here.

Unread 03/20/2006, 06:09 PM   #8
jjirsa78
Registered Member

The force of the water out on the bottom of the acrylic front/back will cause the top of the front/back to push inward, which causes the top panel to bow upwards slightly. If you have a brace from front to back on the top, it's going to be subject to very significant pressure. Having MH lighting on that brace is a bad idea.

This is a very serious break. You may be able to repair it, but I'd very seriously consider lowering the volume in the tank to take pressure (weight) off, or find a way to brace the top - if you lose the top panel, you'll likely have a catastrophic failure.

jjirsa78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2006, 06:32 PM   #9
Sk8r
RC Mod

You might (assuming the crack runs toward the tank-front dead-on) drill for nylon bolts and put a plexi plate over it, bolted down across the split. That might hold. On the other hand, have a lot of tubs and water ready and don't leave it unattended until you're pretty sure. If it reaches the front glass, it's going to bend it, I very much fear.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote