Macropharyngodon meleagris 78 33.05%
Macropharyngodon negrosensis 29 12.29%
Other 26 11.02%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 11/18/2012, 03:47 PM   #2426
fishmanstan
Registered Member

acclimated two, put into tank, one dove into sand almost immediately, other i dont think will live. He can BARELY swim and is laying on his sand on top of sand.. What can i do? I was thinking of getting prazi tomorrow maybe.. HELP!

fishmanstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2012, 04:34 PM   #2427
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

let nature take it course now , you can get some live brine shrimp so when they pop out you have a tasty meal waiting for them .pretty sure i told you not to get them as your LFS was mishandling them ?

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
iamwrasseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2012, 05:12 PM   #2428
fishmanstan
Registered Member

yep. he died
good thing is my supplier will be getting me a replacement for the one that passed, when he orders after thanksgiving. i am going to let the fish stay there for 1-2 weeks so i know if its healthy or not when he gets it in stock. the fish never seemed healthy in my tank and he was swimming upside down. At least it wasnt my fault he died, but still a sad day. I hopea t least the other makes it out as he seemed healthy. Will be getting prazi tomorrow for sure...

Unread 11/18/2012, 05:45 PM   #2429
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

just remember what your read about leopards and acclimation in this tread . you LFS probably will be their demise because i dont believe that they have a very good chance in QT as i have stated many times before .

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
Unread 11/18/2012, 05:58 PM   #2430
flfireman1
Wrasse aficionado

Picked up this little guy at the LFS today. Was labeled as a black leopard (macropharyngodon negrosensis) but it looked nothing like the small black leopards they had in the store. Main difference was the other leopards tail was transparent while this fish's tail has color. Also the spots appear more bluish than white.

It also resembles fish in the Anampses family.

Would like to know what the experts think.

flfireman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2012, 07:04 PM   #2431
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

blue spotted tamarin wrasse
Fishmanstan- yes its lucky that your LFS is still pulling thease fish out of the ocean with no knowledge of thier needs ?
this is what ticks me off when they just want to make a sale , they are living animals right ? well his are not ,they are dead bodies ?

Dave

Unread 11/19/2012, 12:14 AM   #2432
r-balljunkie
Registered Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwrasseman View Post
your LFS is still pulling thease fish out of the ocean with no knowledge of thier needs ?
It’s a bit of a stretch to put the impetus on the LFS. I assure you they are the next to last link in the chain of custody with many steps in-between.
The 19 year old kid with the step stool and catch net pulling the fish out of the aquarium with prices grease penciled on the front glass at the LFS is not the one who netted the fish in the ocean.

C

Unread 11/19/2012, 02:15 AM   #2433
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

transhipping ?

Dave

Unread 11/20/2012, 04:09 PM   #2434
fishmanstan
Registered Member

Yes! My M.bipartus came out this morning and ate mysis! So relieved! hopefully he stays healthy!

Unread 11/20/2012, 06:34 PM   #2435
Stryk9
Registered Member

I kept a leopard wrasse in a biocube for 2 years. I sold him when I moved but definitely shouldn't have. Personally I thought he was extremely hardy and ate like a pig. Picked at the rocks and ate rods food. I don't know what all the fuss is about.. Maybe I just got lucky and got a good one. Bought him at the lfs and only acclimated him for 30 mins or so. Biocube was a mixed reef. Of course I did have to add more sand in one corner for him to sleep..

Stryk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2012, 07:49 PM   #2436
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmanstan View Post
Yes! My M.bipartus came out this morning and ate mysis! So relieved! hopefully he stays healthy!
awesome! good news & good luck!

Unread 11/20/2012, 07:51 PM   #2437
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryk9 View Post
I kept a leopard wrasse in a biocube for 2 years. I sold him when I moved but definitely shouldn't have. Personally I thought he was extremely hardy and ate like a pig. Picked at the rocks and ate rods food. I don't know what all the fuss is about.. Maybe I just got lucky and got a good one. Bought him at the lfs and only acclimated him for 30 mins or so. Biocube was a mixed reef. Of course I did have to add more sand in one corner for him to sleep..

actually, you are correct...they are the easiest fish to keep and this thread is part of a UFO conspiracy!

Unread 11/20/2012, 09:46 PM   #2438
BeanMachine
Registered Member

My HeShe meleagris and potters.

Unread 11/20/2012, 11:07 PM   #2439
Stryk9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterybox View Post
actually, you are correct...they are the easiest fish to keep and this thread is part of a UFO conspiracy!
I was thinking that.. I assume you saw the lights in the sky as well??

Stryk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2012, 08:28 AM   #2440
fishmanstan
Registered Member

hey guys. I was wondering, I have a yellow tang, and he is not aggressive in any way to the fish established in my tank, but he seems to be showing some aggression to my leopard (chasing him when after food). This is him trying to show the wrasse he is dominant right? I have watched him for a while and he has not done it often. Has anyone else had this w/their YT? The leopard was introduced sunday, BTW

also, how do I feed him ONLY? ALL the other fish gather around him when I try to feed him, and they take some mysis right away. How do I stop them? I already do feed them first...

Unread 11/21/2012, 12:38 PM   #2441
BeanMachine
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmanstan View Post
hey guys. I was wondering, I have a yellow tang, and he is not aggressive in any way to the fish established in my tank, but he seems to be showing some aggression to my leopard (chasing him when after food). This is him trying to show the wrasse he is dominant right? I have watched him for a while and he has not done it often. Has anyone else had this w/their YT? The leopard was introduced sunday, BTW

also, how do I feed him ONLY? ALL the other fish gather around him when I try to feed him, and they take some mysis right away. How do I stop them? I already do feed them first...
If only since Sunday I would give it a little more time. The aggression may cease after a few days. As far as feeding him only, I am not sure that will be possible if he is already in your display tank. Just broadcast some smaller foods like cyclops for instance. I have had good luck getting hard to eat fish eating that.

*I just want to add that in my experience these fish don't take well to being threatened or harassed by other fish... I've tried to add 2 more females for my male and he chasing them non stop for days until they bury and never come back up. I guess its possible HeShe does this cuz he's not terminal and still changing but that has been may problem recently anyway.

Last edited by BeanMachine; 11/21/2012 at 12:52 PM.
BeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2012, 01:26 PM   #2442
fishmanstan
Registered Member

Ok. I have nutramar ova I will feed.

Unread 11/21/2012, 07:18 PM   #2443
Ambition
Registered Member

Been thinking of the possibility of getting a leopard wrasse pair (most likely bipartitus) and have a question. Is there any negative effects of using sand in a container, like one uses while QTing them, in your QT? I only ask because I am on the edge of going BB with my new tank and wan everything to be considered. My worry is harm being done by the container, but I'm not sure if I am just paranoid or not.

Thanks in advance, help is much appreciated!

A day off? That's an illusion.

Current Tank Info: 460+ Gallons in the making
Ambition is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2012, 08:13 PM   #2444
fishmanstan
Registered Member

Ambition,
The sand in container is fine for a leopard. Make sure it is big enough for a crash landing. Make sure to get the soft sand also.

Unread 12/05/2012, 08:05 PM   #2445
longranger
Registered Member

Got lucky today. My LFS had a leopard still in the bag that was sold as unidentified. The LFS said the wholesaler just through it in with the order and asked an embarrasingly low price. It is an ornate male and in my DT now. It is in and out of the sandbed and has a fat tummy from eating mysis and spirulina enriched brine shrimp. No interest in pellets. So lucky. Almost too good to be true

So far the other residents of my 110 gallon reef, almost all peacefull wrasses, seem to like him. Will be interesting to see if there is conflict when one of my 3 Meleagrus ladies transitions to a male.

longranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2012, 10:54 PM   #2446
Shoryureppa
Registered Member

Choati Leopard Wrasse

Just wanted to share some pictures

Macropharyngodon Choati eating frozen mysis 3 inches 2 years old.

He's chubby

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Mixed Reef, Vortech MP40
Shoryureppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2012, 08:30 AM   #2447
Shoryureppa
Registered Member

The wrasse lives in a tank that has a 4.5 inch DSB. He is the king of the tank and has put my flame wrasse in its place. I feed him like a dog. PE mysis one shrimp at a time as he know when I am there to feed him. Occasional black worms. Tank temp is at 76, tank mates are all docile except for the common clownfish. I remember Kevin Kohen saying they need to rule the tank to feel comfortable enough to feed so I took that advice and made sure that was the case. I feel really lucky to have this fish as I know it is difficult to get get one let alone have one that eats. Good luck to everyone and I hope yours do well!

Unread 12/12/2012, 02:54 PM   #2448
Arkayology
Registered Member

That Choati is awesome looking Shoryureppa. Glad to hear it is doing well.

in between tanks
Arkayology is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2012, 07:14 PM   #2449
Shoryureppa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDude View Post
That Choati is awesome looking Shoryureppa. Glad to hear it is doing well.
Thanks dude, I feel really lucky to have a healthy and eating wrasse, knowing how delicate and difficult they are to keep. Do you have any pictures of yours?

Unread 12/13/2012, 12:49 AM   #2450
arthur08
Registered Member

I have a black leopard n I'm wanting a normal leopards female thats at my Lfs.... And a potters wrasse he just ordered for me. I'm concerned if they will get along, also ready that they need to be with friendly fish n I been wanting an achiliesmtang or a Sohal would that eliminate me from getting one of these?

arthur08 is offline   Reply With Quote