Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/16/2018, 02:35 PM   #26
mitch91175
Premium Member

I have come to the conclusion that after I run through my current salt, I am longer doing water changes. I have been reading on individuals not doing water changes and have thriving aquariums. I know from reading that all mixes have some type of ammonia in them, but I just cannot bring myself to investing in high end SPS until I get a handle on everything. I will dose ALK/CAL/MAG to keep those levels where I want them to be.

I know a little ammonia shouldn't overall hurt my system since it has been setup for almost 4 years, but trying to keep all of my other parameters as level as possible looks like it is going to be a pain from mix-to-mix. I get that the levels are a little higher in mixes, etc. but man can they fluctuate and from all of my understanding in the hobby is that too much fluctuation can cause problems and those that I can avoid I will try to do my best to avoid.

Hey will also save me some money on salt, RO/DI filters, etc that I can apply to additions to the tank.

NOTE: I will still keep the system for RO water but not use for salt unless absolutely necessary.

Last edited by mitch91175; 02/16/2018 at 02:49 PM.
mitch91175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 07:58 PM   #27
tkeracer619
Registered Member

What salt are you using and what test kit are you using?

Those that are successful with no or few waterchanges rarely decide to do it, the tank tells them it doesn't need it over time.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2018, 08:02 PM   #28
mitch91175
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
What salt are you using and what test kit are you using?

Those that are successful with no or few waterchanges rarely decide to do it, the tank tells them it doesn't need it over time.
Using reef crystals. Testing with a Milwaukee Mi407 Ammonia (Low Range) Photometer for both fresh/saltwater. I could have understood a lower ammonia like 0.01-5 but that high is crazy scary. Just for grins gonna test it again to see if it changed. I aerated the water over night and tested in the morning.

Unread 02/16/2018, 08:23 PM   #29
mitch91175
Premium Member

I get a Hanna HI761 tomorrow to check to make sure that I do not have any chloramines. Changed all my filters so that 100% better not be the case. Just ruling out stuff.

Unread 02/16/2018, 08:57 PM   #30
bertoni
RC Mod

Some people who skip water changes do well; others have serious problems. Over time, I'd expect the ionic balance to shift and cause problems, on average, but that's going to vary. Water changes are relatively easy and inexpensive, and can do a lot:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/index.php

Unread 02/16/2018, 09:29 PM   #31
ramseynb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch91175 View Post
Using reef crystals. Testing with a Milwaukee Mi407 Ammonia (Low Range) Photometer for both fresh/saltwater. I could have understood a lower ammonia like 0.01-5 but that high is crazy scary. Just for grins gonna test it again to see if it changed. I aerated the water over night and tested in the morning.
Check out ESV salt. You'll need a small digital kitchen scale and it's a little more work to mix, but it's well worth it. Mixes perfect every time and is on the lower side on alk.

ramseynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 08:46 AM   #32
mitch91175
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramseynb View Post
Check out ESV salt. You'll need a small digital kitchen scale and it's a little more work to mix, but it's well worth it. Mixes perfect every time and is on the lower side on alk.
I may have to look into that rather than the salts that are already all mixed together for when I do need to do a change. Just too untrusting right now of the premixed solutions. There is someone on my local forum selling some of it.

Unread 02/17/2018, 04:51 PM   #33
mitch91175
Premium Member

Total ULR test read 0. So definitely nothing in fresh RO water. Oh well, moving on from it. Just lessons learned to not trust a salt mix. Test it every time.