Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/14/2016, 10:40 AM   #126
Jscwerve
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericarenee View Post
I just got a dcp-8000 If your power goes off the pump will restart at its lowest power setting and then ramp up to where it was before the power failure..

I tested this first thing.I have had it running since Monday its super quiet and i like being able to see the watts drawn by the pump. I run it on 68% and it used 44 watts of power according to its controller..
It did not come with a 1 1/2 inch fitting so i had to make one from a pvc threaded fitting

Excellent. Thank you.

I will also compare power usage between this and my current pump (Eheim 1262) via the Reefkeeper monitoring.

Jscwerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2016, 03:07 PM   #127
eder10986
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
Quick question about these pumps.

I got a great deal on a brand new DCT 12000 and it will be here in a few days. Do the controllers have a memory if power is cut from and then returned to them? I want to know if I can just use this like my current pump when I put my ReefKeeper in standby and have it turn off, as in power to the outlet goes off, then comes back on after a preset time.

If you have to reset the controller or independently put it into a feed mode, I'll just use it for salt mixing or something.

Yes. I have the same pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eder10986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2016, 07:44 PM   #128
Pablos RSM 450
Registered Member

Though I run a jebao/jecod dct 6000 on my skimmer I am done using it as a return after the 3rd failure. I got home today and for the 3rd time the impeller siezed up causing my tank water to get very cold. I swaped out the impeller a month ago as I have a spare that I run while I soak the others in venegar every month. Both pumps 6000 models were purchased the same time. The skimmer pump I run on setting #2 no issues with that one. The one that keeps on failing I run on setting #8. I had to go to old reliable Mag 9.5.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 450
Pablos RSM 450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2016, 08:11 PM   #129
Pablos RSM 450
Registered Member

I forgot to mention that I have had both pumps for only 10 months. They are both in the sump and the water goes through my filter socks before coming into contact with the DC pumps. Even after a 24 hr soak in 50/50 water vinegar I have found that the ceramic shaft does not spin as freely as it did when they were new. I have a spare adjustable eheim compact 3000 I will use after I run out of impellers as the replacements are $15 each. Both the Eheim and Magdrive have been in use on a prior setup and have been used in my mixing containers for the last 10 months that the Jebao/Jecod replaced them and they are still working like a champ. The DC pumps are fairly quiet and run cooler with less power consumption but at a cost of reliability. Guess you get what you pay for at less than $100 each.

Unread 12/16/2016, 06:43 PM   #130
outssider
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablos RSM 450 View Post
I forgot to mention that I have had both pumps for only 10 months. They are both in the sump and the water goes through my filter socks before coming into contact with the DC pumps. Even after a 24 hr soak in 50/50 water vinegar I have found that the ceramic shaft does not spin as freely as it did when they were new. I have a spare adjustable eheim compact 3000 I will use after I run out of impellers as the replacements are $15 each. Both the Eheim and Magdrive have been in use on a prior setup and have been used in my mixing containers for the last 10 months that the Jebao/Jecod replaced them and they are still working like a champ. The DC pumps are fairly quiet and run cooler with less power consumption but at a cost of reliability. Guess you get what you pay for at less than $100 each.
your problem is calcium precipitation on the impeller shaft. not the pumps fault. you are either dosing alk too close to the pump, dosing too much at once or dosing using soda ash (sodium carbonate). If you're using soda ash try switching to sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). I have run these pumps for two years straight without cleaning and when inspected had no calcium build up on the impeller shaft.

outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2016, 07:32 PM   #131
jewlz
Registered Member

I have a DC12000 and it does not reliably start anymore. I'm happy with the pump but the electronics inside are a big unknown. My theory is that it has some resistance to turning and at the lower speeds (like when it ramps up to start), it can't overcome the friction. I think that it then senses that it's "jammed" and shits down for safety. The only way to get it going is to spin it up by hand as you plug it in.

jewlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2016, 08:05 PM   #132
Pablos RSM 450
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outssider View Post
your problem is calcium precipitation on the impeller shaft. not the pumps fault. you are either dosing alk too close to the pump, dosing too much at once or dosing using soda ash (sodium carbonate). If you're using soda ash try switching to sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). I have run these pumps for two years straight without cleaning and when inspected had no calcium build up on the impeller shaft.
The other DCT 6000 is in the chamber before the return running the skimmer and it has not has the same issue. I do dose soda ash but it gets dosed in the overflow section and goes through a filter sock before the skimmer section. The pump that has had the issues is in the return area. Thanks for the heads up on the sodium bicarbonate its worth trying out. BTW I dose 4 ml of brs soda ash every hr ill try doing the baking soda instead.

Unread 12/16/2016, 10:15 PM   #133
ericarenee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablos RSM 450 View Post
The other DCT 6000 is in the chamber before the return running the skimmer and it has not has the same issue. I do dose soda ash but it gets dosed in the overflow section and goes through a filter sock before the skimmer section. The pump that has had the issues is in the return area. Thanks for the heads up on the sodium bicarbonate its worth trying out. BTW I dose 4 ml of brs soda ash every hr ill try doing the baking soda instead.
I just installed a DCP-8000 I Will maybe make a new thread to and update it as time goes alone to see if they have similar issues . I still have my MAG DRIVE Hard plumbed in just in case..
my only fear is electronic failure ... the mag 9.5 thou is 22 years old..
i would never expect a dc pump ran by electronics to last that long but the power savings and less heat so less chiller running in the summer it might add up..
i was running reeflow hammerhead ..

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2016, 01:41 PM   #134
africangrey
Registered Member

I have a DCT12000 sitting inside the sump but have noticed the fitting nozzle thread isn't fitted correctly causing water to spill out, there is a gasket in between but it does help at all. Anyone notice something like this and any fix to this.

Also the controller is so frail that I feel the rubber/plastic piece might come apart one of these days.

africangrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2017, 10:58 AM   #135
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

My DCT 4000 lasted 5 months before needing to go to the trash. Absolutely could not get the thing going after it quit. Cleaned with vinegar, no obstructions, just would not turn the impeller.

Check my homepage for tank pics and details.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 2x maxspect R420R LED, 4 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Flame Angel, Foxface Rabbitfish, Banggai Cardinals, Azure Damsel, rock flower anemone, cleaner shrimp, serpent star
Frogmanx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2017, 11:15 AM   #136
karimwassef
Registered Member

Depending on how long you didn't clean it, the impellers can build up gunk or Calcium between the moving blade rotor and the middle shaft. When that happens, they will lock up and seem to be a single unit. At that point, a vinegar dip isn't enough. The acid can't get through to the buildup. I've even tried full strength HCL (muratic) but it just can't access it.

The solution is to mechanically break the gunk by twisting the shaft and rotor apart. This can be very difficult. There are special tools for doing this since they're both ceramic and there are notches for properly gripping them. Unfortunately, I have no such tools... so, I've used lock pliers and table vice grips with rubber bands for surface grab without shattering and slowly, eventually, I can get them to free up. Haven't cracked one yet but it is difficult.

Then acid bath. Sometimes through, the gunk was sharp (like sand) and it can actually wear away the interfaces between the surfaces. In those cases, I've used fine grit sand paper to smooth them out. The downside is that this makes the gap tolerance larger meaning that the likelihood of another event gets higher.

Why all this hassle? These pumps should be removed and cleaned every 3-6 months. When I didn't do it, I got a lock up. As long as I follow my maintenance schedule, no issues... I keep a spare of almost every kind I have and I swap them in to maintain the cleaning schedule. It's part of tank maintenance in my book. Why bother? Because the German pumps that cost 3x to 10x are a ripoff in my view. I'll pay with a little preventative maintenance.

Out of the nearly 16 pumps & powerheads I have and use, two have had an electrical issue but those are from my earliest usage ~ 4 years old.

Doing the math, I'm still way ahead on cost vs benefit.

What would make the pumps really better would be if new impellers were available for sale at a good price or if the cleaning tools were sold to the public. I've only found a couple of impeller types available.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2017, 11:22 AM   #137
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post

Doing the math, I'm still way ahead on cost vs benefit.

With you there. Mine don't even have to last a year and they pay for themselves in electricity savings

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2017, 11:16 PM   #138
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

Depends on the price of a pump failure. I travel and pump failure isn't really a good option. A year is not acceptable to me.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 2x maxspect R420R LED, 4 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Flame Angel, Foxface Rabbitfish, Banggai Cardinals, Azure Damsel, rock flower anemone, cleaner shrimp, serpent star
Unread 12/25/2017, 12:29 AM   #139
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmanx82 View Post
Depends on the price of a pump failure. I travel and pump failure isn't really a good option. A year is not acceptable to me.
Agreed, if I traveled id put my Iwaki back on.

The DCP line is at this time, as good as any other affordable DC pump. I have not seen one that holds up with credibility or reliability. At this time it seems to be the nature of cheaper DC pumps.

I have a rare dcp 2500 on my calcium reactor, and a dcp 10000 for my return. Hopefully I'm one of the 2-3 year plus guys. We will see.

Unread 12/25/2017, 04:31 AM   #140
karimwassef
Registered Member

I run them in parallel lines. Redundancy allows me to run even if one or two fail... but with proper maintenance, that shouldn't happen.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2017, 12:54 PM   #141
Jamesmost
Registered Member

Running a jabo 1200 pump on my skimmer,,,, no issues , haven't cleaned yet only 1 month...
Did get it used( 6mos old)
But was clean

Jamesmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2017, 08:30 PM   #142
rocsec1
Registered Member

I’ve been using one for 18 months and am very happy with it.

rocsec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 10:54 PM   #143
mitchdog7
Registered Member

Just to give my experience with jebao, I've had a dc6000 setup on my 40b as a return pump for a little over 3 years now. I've never cleaned it, or even removed it from inside the sump in all those years. Pump has been run at 100%, and shuts down 3x a day for 10 minutes for automatic feeding. I've even had an air stone setup in front of it for the past year or two that comes on at night to introduce micro bubbles into the DT. Still going strong. But, I've had a dc12000 in the closet for backup.

Currently just setup the dc12000 on my new 180 build, and I'm not expecting to have issues anytime soon, but I will buy a backup as soon as I can just in case. As my experience with their power heads hasn't been quite as good. Only last me about a year.

Your results may very.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mitchdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 10:57 PM   #144
mitchdog7
Registered Member

Also, I should say, it's always been really silent. Never had an issue with noise, and it was right at the foot of my bed with no doors on the sump. I don't have a pad under it either.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mitchdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 11:57 PM   #145
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchdog7 View Post
it's always been really silent.
jebao has been the quietest pump i have ever owned

Unread 01/22/2018, 01:42 PM   #146
ksed
Registered Member

Looks like new Jebao pumps are coming.
https://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=...nkw=jebao+dcq+

ksed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 02:14 PM   #147
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksed View Post
Looks like new Jebao pumps are coming.
https://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=...nkw=jebao+dcq+
Less head height than DCP

It is a wave making upgrade to the DCS series for those using these as tank circulation

Would not be an upgrade for those using these as a return pump.

Things I like are the bolts holding the volute on. Not twist off.

Things I do not like is the lack of O ring for the sealing surface.

Unread 01/22/2018, 02:17 PM   #148
ksed
Registered Member

It doesn’t have o-ring?
They claim 4pole motor makes them quieter

ksed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 02:38 PM   #149
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksed View Post
It doesn’t have o-ring?
They claim 4pole motor makes them quieter
Nope no o ring.

Some have the twist off volute to, some have bolts.

again not an upgrade for return applications

It is a recirc pump by design for closed loops

Unread 02/01/2018, 11:24 PM   #150
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

OK, so now the Jebao is officially in the trash. I had it cleaned and back working but still didn't trust it. My Hydor 14 was just too noisy to go back to so I ordered a Tunze 1073.06. It came today. I'm away for the weekend, leaving tomorrow and figured I'd wait to put the new pump in until I got back as long as the Jebao restarted after feeding. Sure enough, it wouldn't. This is only a month after I cleaned it as well as it could be cleaned. So its in the trash and the Tunze is the new heart of my system.

The return pump really is the heart and a weak heart is not acceptable. In the words of Eminem, "Failure is not a M... F.... option". I'm expecting not to have to touch that Tunze for at least a year but we'll see. It sure looks like a beast.