Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/22/2018, 10:13 PM   #1
1fastrock
Registered Member

Bleached base rock for coral growth

Hello everyone sorry for the possibly new guy question but I have been around the hobby for years and have finally decided to try my hand at corals! I have a. Ton of base rock that I have had for years that I would like to use as the base for my coral. My only concern is that probably 5 years ago I bleached the rock to get it clean after a bad algae outbreak. The rock was properly cleaned afterwards and has since been used in aquariums but since it has been bleached will coral be able to grow on it?

Thanks in advance for the help

1fastrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 10:36 PM   #2
jeepguy242
Registered Member

yes...

i bleach rock all the time when it gets stuff on it i dont like... (hair algae, GSP or melon mushrooms)

i am currently growing favia and acans and zoa on some rock i bleached less than 2 months ago

be sure to soak it in RO/DI for a week and then change the water at least once before you put it in your tank

Current Tank Info: 125 mixed reef, 40 gallon sump, mag 9.5 return, quiet one 6000 closed loop, reef octo NWB-150 2010 model, diy kalkwasser reactor and ATO, 3 250 watt MH 14k
jeepguy242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 06:59 AM   #3
afroshacks
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastrock View Post
Hello everyone sorry for the possibly new guy question but I have been around the hobby for years and have finally decided to try my hand at corals! I have a. Ton of base rock that I have had for years that I would like to use as the base for my coral. My only concern is that probably 5 years ago I bleached the rock to get it clean after a bad algae outbreak. The rock was properly cleaned afterwards and has since been used in aquariums but since it has been bleached will coral be able to grow on it?

Thanks in advance for the help
Hey 1fastrock,

Like jeepguy said just make sure to soak the rock in RO water after bleaching. I just bleached all 100+ pounds of my rock before I setup my new 46G. After I bleached them over night I did a series of soaking them in RO water, draining it daily and refilling it with RO water again over the course of a week. Then I let them rest under my halides to dry out (only because it's winter here, other wise I'd have let them dry out in the sun.)
But after you should have no issues with coral growth in them.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 46G Bowfront, 10G Fuge, AquaC Remora S HOB Skimmer, 50pnds LR, 1" Sand Bed
afroshacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 12:12 PM   #4
1fastrock
Registered Member

Awesome thank you guys so much for the fast responses! I appreciate the help!

1fastrock is offline   Reply With Quote