Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/19/2013, 03:38 PM   #1
1974kvt
Registered Member

Hydrometer?

I'm getting ready to full my 29g. This is my first ever attempt at saltwater. I have my rodi unit and easy to go and I intend to mix the salt in tank since its new. Still I be ok using a hydrometer to test? I've read that they are not the best and should have a refractometer instead. There will be no live stock or corals in tank untill tank is fully cycled.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

1974kvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2013, 03:40 PM   #2
E Rosewater
Registered Member

I had a hydrometer when I first started, they're a PIA. Use a refractometer.

E Rosewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2013, 03:41 PM   #3
SushiGirl
Premium Member

I'd recommend a refractometer, too. Heard & experienced too many mistakes with even a cleaned hydrometer.

Current Tank Info: 55g softy/LPS tank & 20L reef tank
SushiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2013, 03:52 PM   #4
downbeach
Registered Member

I'm on board with the refractometer too, but I'd get some calibration fluid to make sure/keep it accurate.

downbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2013, 05:06 PM   #5
BearCatFish
Moved On

I used an Instant Ocean hydrometer for a few years before getting a refractometer (I gave in because I kept hearing how terrible hydrometers were). The hydrometer was off by either .001 or .002, which, in my opinion, is negligible.

With my refractometer I target 35ppt, but if I'm over or under by a few ppt nothing bad happens.

BearCatFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2013, 05:40 PM   #6
SushiGirl
Premium Member

I had one that read 1.030 and one that read 1.021 when I bought my refracometer, it read 1.025. I consider myself lucky LOL.

Current Tank Info: 55g softy/LPS tank & 20L reef tank
SushiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2013, 06:14 PM   #7
dthorn
Registered Member

I got lucky starting with an instant ocean hydrometer. The new ones are much better than older ones but still hit or miss getting one that's accurate. Used mine to check one a friend was using in a tank that killed everything. Was off by 8 points putting his sg at 033. He found another and was off 4 points the other way.

Specially if keeping salinity in optimal high range, you need an instrument you can trust. 40 bucks online is a small price to pay compared to the overall cost of this hobby. I got a nice one on a black friday sale, but if reviews say easy to read and you buy calibration fluid they're all about the same.

The hydrometer will work for now but be sure to have it checked against a refractometer. I would order a refractometer asap to avoid what happened to my friend. He basically wasted a year and a lot of money starting out not knowing his problem was just a bad hydrometer. He blamed the tank, light, water, and the one damsel that survived the whole time for killing everything he added within hours. That being said, he is still using it with all the calibration marks I set with my refractometer but things aren't going smooth to say the least.

Did I mention how much faster and easier a refractometer is to use!? Lol happy reefing!

dthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/19/2013, 07:24 PM   #8
1974kvt
Registered Member

Thanks will order a refractometor.

1974kvt is offline   Reply With Quote