Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/24/2016, 07:25 AM   #1
JVD BVI
Registered Member

Tunze 9004 clicking/popping noise ?

I purchased a Tunze 9004 a few weeks ago, it worked great from the moment I put it into my tank.

Unfortunately over the last week it has really slowed down on producing foam and its making this random popping/clicking sound. I thought maybe the airline was clogged with salt but its clean.

Any thoughts ?

JVD BVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2016, 11:05 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Make sure the nipple that the air hose attaches to on the impeller cover plate is not clogged by salt creep, this is a common culprit but generally not for at least a couple months after installation. Also make sure this cover is attached to the pump, if it is loose it moves and hits things and makes a popping noise with low air intake.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2016, 09:46 PM   #3
JVD BVI
Registered Member

Just got home, but it will check that out tomorrow, thanks Roger.

Its also strange that my airline is open full but barely producing any foam.

Unread 01/26/2016, 09:31 AM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

That would tend to point to the impeller cover which is also the air intake being loose from the pump, but having a clogged air intake nipple on the same part can also cause that.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 02/03/2016, 06:24 PM   #5
JVD BVI
Registered Member

Well I finally figured out the clicking/popping sound, that was actually a water level issue, when it was too low it would make that noise.

But its still is producing very few bubbles, I took the whole skimmer apart and cleaned it, and its the same, have the air line open full and it barely seems to skim. I assumed the cup would over flow, but not even close. The pump and impeller seem fine.

Any thoughts ?

Unread 02/04/2016, 09:23 AM   #6
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Did you check the hole in the impeller cover for salt creep? This is where the air hose attaches on the pump, the plastic hole will clog in time. Was the airline extended, are you sure their are no kinks in the airless inside the skimmer or outside?

Unread 02/04/2016, 02:10 PM   #7
JVD BVI
Registered Member

Yes, I did check the airline and that hole for salt creep, cleaned them all out with hot water. No kinks anywhere.

Its almost as if 1) the skimmer is not getting enough air, hence very few bubbles or 2) The pump is not working correctly to produce enough bubbles.

Bubbles are being produced however there is really no foam developing and the bubbles never come up the inside lip of the collection cup

Unread 02/04/2016, 03:04 PM   #8
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The motor or pump itself could not be a culprit, the impeller could if some needles are damaged or the impeller is slipping. The air pathway could be a culprit but it sounds like that all checks out. It may be producing plenty of air but generating skimmate depends on enough skimmable material being present as well as the lack of any substances which might interfere, like fats and oils. If it seems to be generating enough air, I would give it a few days, what actually rises out is a separate layer of whipped foam that is proteins, cellulose and other organic debris.

Unread 02/05/2016, 05:40 AM   #9
JVD BVI
Registered Member

Thanks Roger, very plausible theory considering my tank is only 17g. When I first put in the skimmer my tank was much dirtier evident by a film of proteins and other organics on the surface. After a few weeks the surface was crystal clear and the skimmer seemed to stop producing skimate. It may a case of the tank being to clean, a good problem to have I guess.