Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/10/2015, 11:04 PM   #376
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

Good job. Keep it up.

Did you move/remove the camera?

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2015, 12:32 AM   #377
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Worm - Camera is still up and running. Moved it a couple of feet higher on the wall.

www.o2manyfish.com/camera.htm

Dave B

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2015, 02:12 AM   #378
Blake_Cond
Registered Member

What do you dose?

WOW ! First off let me say best tank I've seen on RC!
I've got a few questions, how do you maintain calcium and alkalinity and what do you dose?

Blake_Cond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2015, 01:12 PM   #379
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Blake Cond - Thank you for the compliments. My maintenance of Alk and Calcium come from a calc rx and Kalk topoff.

All my evaporation is replaced with Kalk. Depending on the weather that can range from 10 to 40gallons a day. The calc rx runs at a steady flow with a bubble count of about 3-5 bubbles per second. And I try to keep the ph around 6.6 in the rx. For the past 4 months I have had issues with keeping the bubble count steady. I have replaced the regulator and the needle valve, but still get inconsistent bubble counts. I would like to buy the electronic carbon dosing system, but since all the equipment is outside there is no place to keep it safe from the elements. In the next month or so I am going to get some play time with the Dastaco Calcium Rx. And while I don't think I would ever pay the price for the Dastaco, I am hoping to take some of the concepts from it and build my own DIY version of it. I have seen Arthur's (ACESQ) and I think it is a beautiful device.

When I remember I add some potassium and Iodide. And the only other thing regularly dosed in 10ml of Acro Power every day. The Acro power has definitely added to the 'popping' of some of the coral colors in the tank.

Dave B

Unread 01/11/2015, 08:27 PM   #380
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

Dave,

Check your setpoints on the camera. You can see too far right now, past the stairs.

Might as well adjust them all.

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2015, 12:14 PM   #381
cleverbs
Registered Member

wow...and I thought my dragonet was fat...those things are stuffed to the brim...great tank really like it and love the diverse fish. so many tanks have just 1 blenny and 1 of a couple tangs. Love your approach.

cleverbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2015, 12:40 AM   #382
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Some Updated Photos from tonight

Full tank shot

I was remounting some frags that had fallen and a couple of new pieces that I picked up today. And while leaning over the tank my Janns pipefish goes cruising through the middle of the tank under my nose. I seem to only seem this guy about every 6 months - But such a joy when he pops up and goes cruising past. Sorry no photo of him...

This is a pink alveapora I picked up about a month ago. Color has deepend a little and it's filled out nicely

My mispatterened Baby Bellus - Growing slower than I would like

My recent fish additions

One of my monti collections

My Grafted Cap slowly getting bigger

My group of cardinals

The deepwater I picked up in November colored up nicely

Island Full Shot

Montis on the Spire

Unread 02/11/2015, 12:50 AM   #383
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Oregon Tort getting bigger and bigger

This is one of the new ORA releases - Purple Plasma

Monster Monti Cap

Stags growing together

A table that I ignore and it keeps changing shape

Tort

My Valida -- Its just bright -purple with flourescent green polyps but I can't capture the colors with the camera.

My little yellow Acro

Center of Tank

Island

Kind of a neat thing to witness. I have 2 lawnmower blennies in my tank for maybe 4 or 5 years now. They are large and fat. For years they keep several feet of tank between themselves or there is frantic chasing of each other. The other day I'm walking past the tank and the 2 blennies are sitting together in the surge tank outlet. One of them swims out of the pipe and sit on the rock work. Then the other one comes out and starts shimmying against the first one. Then they switch taking turns shimmying against each other. Then after about a minute of this they went to there seperate sides of the tank. Always cool things happening in the tank!

Dave B

Unread 02/11/2015, 06:49 PM   #384
wowkingjames
Registered Member

This was an awesome thread, enjoyed every single picture. Awesome tank!

wowkingjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2015, 10:42 PM   #385
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowkingjames View Post
This was an awesome thread, enjoyed every single picture. Awesome tank!
Thank you !!!!

Unread 02/11/2015, 11:06 PM   #386
cFloor
Registered Member

Tank is looking good! I love your new anthias addition. I've always wanted to try one of those.

cFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2015, 09:12 AM   #387
tfp
Registered Member

tank is lookin sweet!

Current Tank Info: Envisions 400g (96x32x30) online January 2012. 4-72" VHOs,7-OceanRevive T247,Aquamaxx Cone 6 Skimmer, Aquamaxx S3 CR,Aquariumplants CO2 regulator, Jebao SOW20's, 80w Emperor UV, tang dominated with anthias and longspine cards
tfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2015, 09:45 AM   #388
dave.m
Registered Member

It's always a treat to see how well this system is doing.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2015, 03:50 PM   #389
o2manyfish
Registered Member

CFloor, Thank you. I had a pair before the crash that were doing well and growing nicely. These 2 guys pretty much were the last fish we were looking for to restock the tank back to the way it was before the crash. And these 2 when I got them looked much better than the originals. However, when they came in they had quite a bit of pink on them and now the pink has faded. But they have two spots in the tank they hang out, one is right up front in the corner in prime viewing real estate, and then they go hide in the xenia colony growing on the back wall of the tank. These will be beautiful fish if I can find the right food combination to get the pink color back into them. I wish cyclopeeze was available, or I may have to pick up a couple of bottles of Arcti-pods.

Dave B

Unread 02/12/2015, 03:51 PM   #390
o2manyfish
Registered Member

tfp & Dave.M

Thank you !

Unread 02/13/2015, 08:12 PM   #391
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

tank looking great as always. any changes to the sump and frag tanks since you last posted them?

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon blue line rimless tank
reeftanknewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2015, 12:09 AM   #392
karm40
Registered Member

Dave, curious how the green slime frag I left you is doing?? Tank looking great!

karm40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2015, 04:24 AM   #393
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Amazing pics and better yet the story of the pipe fish. If I hadn't seen a fish that long I would presume it to have been dead already.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2015, 10:29 PM   #394
o2manyfish
Registered Member

ReefTankNewb, The frag tank was about 70% full of xenia, but also had 1000s of Aptasia. Back in October either the dogs or the gardener hit the plug for the pump running the frag tank and the tank was disconnected for the system for several days. When I discovered the issue the tank was a brown soup. I did a massive water change and hooked up some heaters and 2 carbon reactors. When the water cleared about 50% of the xenia had died off but the aptasia was flourishing. After 2 carbon changes and the water remaining clear I put the tank back online. Then in December the GFI running the pump and heaters failed and the same thing happened again. I took that as a sign. I decided to leave the tank disconnected with the circulation pumps on.

At this point all the aptasia has dissappeared and the tank is solid lettuce algae. I'm hoping in the next month to put the tank back online and start refilling it. But I am getting married in a month so things are super busy.

Karm40 - To be honest I am not sure where its at.

NewbieAquarist - I posted several months ago about the Golden Pygmy Angel photo bombing a photo. A fish I hadn't seen in 6+ months since the tank crash. Prior to the tank crash I had a pair of Golden Angels. Well just about 10 days ago I am sitting watching the tank from the living room through the end of the tank and the pair is out picking on the rock work. The lights were out but there they were. That makes right around 18 months without seeing either of those two fish in the tank other than a brief glimpse in a photo bomb. We also had the eviota goby that appeared out of the blue after 6 months and was out for a weekend and then vanished again. My Fiancee' loves firefish. Sometime last summer we had a group of 3. I bought her 10 more. They were out for a few days and then all of them vanished. A few weeks later 1 firefish showed up on the opposite side of the tank from where they were all hanging out. Then we were feeding the tank a few weeks ago and all of a sudden 2 fire fish are out and eating. And then we are back to 1. There are so many nooks and crannies in my tank. Not to mention it's empty under all the rock work on the left side of the tank that there is a whole slew of fish living under the rock that don't find it necessary to be swimming out in the open.

Dave B

Unread 03/13/2015, 06:34 PM   #395
cFloor
Registered Member

How's everything looking Dave? Your venustus trio still doing well I hope.

Unread 04/04/2015, 12:39 PM   #396
kkittredge
Registered Member

I think you win the most resilient award. Great looking tank and congrats on the marriage.

kkittredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2015, 05:02 PM   #397
SS_Sean
Registered Member

Awesome job, as always.

Unread 04/04/2015, 09:43 PM   #398
ssscuz
Registered Member

Fantastic read at what this tank has been thru. Looks amazing mate!
Glad you are up to where u are now!

ssscuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2015, 11:34 PM   #399
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Long Time for Update

Hey There,

Been awhile since I updated, but the good news is, all is well. The past few months the tank has been doing great. I was too busy with wedding plans to update tank photos. For some of us this is more than just a hobby, it's a lifestyle. And if you're going to have a nickname like o2manyfish -- well you gotta live up to the rep.

So for my wedding, my bride, on her own without any advice from me, picked the location - The Aquarium of the Pacific! And it turned out to be a beautiful venue...

So Wedding photos with fishes!!!

No, I did not tell the photographer to keep taking pictures till the Clarion Angel swims into view.

My wife telling me, now was not the time to reach in and pick out the aptasia

Sure everyone takes a picture with Jellyfish

But how many people get to kiss while being eyed by a bonnet head shark?

Our Ceremony took place in front of a 3 story aquarium...

And of course you gotta dress the part.

Unread 04/12/2015, 11:39 PM   #400
cFloor
Registered Member

Great pictures! Congratulations