Reef Central Online Community
Blue Zoo Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 07/01/2016, 08:57 AM   #526
Zacktosterone
Registered Member

Sooooooooo coooooool

Zacktosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2016, 11:41 AM   #527
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

You have a very inspirational tank. Display would be frag city/state/country.

ADVRESOURCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2016, 01:42 PM   #528
cFloor
Registered Member

Loved the video, thanks for sharing!

Instagram: @cfloorsaltwater
cFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2016, 08:25 PM   #529
rickztahone
Registered Member

Great as always Dave. This is my favorite tank for sure. Do you have a video showing how the DT and outside tank connects? Or plumbing/equipment vid?

22g RBTA tank build:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2578399

Current Tank Info: 22g Peninsula tank RBTA / Euphyllia / Clownfish
rickztahone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/15/2016, 11:46 AM   #530
o2manyfish
Registered Member

With the blow out of the old frag tank, we have started an entire rennovation of the outdoor frag system.

Here is phase 1 complete.

Video was shot after everything had been in the tank about an hour.

Dave B

Current Tank Info: 400g SPS Dominant Reef
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/15/2016, 12:50 PM   #531
dave.m
Registered Member

Could you please spell the name of the second angel? I'm pretty sure you are mispronouncing the name as you are with the imperator.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/15/2016, 01:15 PM   #532
saf1
Registered Member

Hi O2 - sorry to hear about the crack but one has to love Xenia Really great videos and thread. Honestly, it just goes to show one how you can populate a new tank without obtaining corals from the sea. Really nice frags that you offered up to people, hopefully someone took you up on the offer.

Quick question on the frag tank pre move. In post 515 there is a video. About 1 minute 43 seconds there is a pink looking coral that is in the middle. I just got back from a few dives in Hawaii and that looks a lot like the corals I saw in one area. They had a small clown looking fish living in them. Everywhere in fact.

Really like what you do and how.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/15/2016, 02:13 PM   #533
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Dave.M,

The angels in the outdoor frag tank are Imperator (juvie), Yellow Belly Regal misbar, Navarchus (aka as Majestic), Colini (yellow body with purple back) and last night we added a new juvenile Goldflake to the mic.

Saf, I didn't have a chance to go look through the video, but the bright pink is either a stylophora or pocillipora.

Dave B

Old 07/15/2016, 02:49 PM   #534
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2manyfish View Post
Dave.M,

Saf, I didn't have a chance to go look through the video, but the bright pink is either a stylophora or pocillipora.

Dave B
Thank you. That is what I was looking for, it is Pocillipora based on the search results I didn't have a name so was looking blindly In fact, here is the image retuned with the exact same fish living in it.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ident_fish.jpg

Old 07/15/2016, 02:52 PM   #535
ace_92101
Registered Member

The video was too short! I need my "fix" of your long detailed videos. All joking aside, the new tank and system looks even nicer. I can't wait to see the finished foundation.

ace_92101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/15/2016, 07:29 PM   #536
rickztahone
Registered Member

"life saving xenia" gotta love that! You just started your own line of Xenia Dave

When are you having a bbq at your place? I'd be there with beer man haha

22g RBTA tank build:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2578399

Current Tank Info: 22g Peninsula tank RBTA / Euphyllia / Clownfish
rickztahone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/15/2016, 08:17 PM   #537
dave.m
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2manyfish
Colini (yellow body with purple back)
Aha! It sounded to me like you were saying "Kleeny" and this was driving me nuts trying to guess what you meant. Thx for clearing that up for me.

Dave.M

Old 07/21/2016, 10:54 AM   #538
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Just read the article they did about your tank on the reef builders site, at first I was like who the hell is Dave Botwin... then in the article I was like "oh hey I remember seeing that thread!"

Old 07/27/2016, 12:24 AM   #539
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Hi Everyone,

My narrated videos of the tank have become really popular. And thanks to the very kind post by Jake Adams on Reef Builders, I have recently gotten a lot of publicity. Along with publicity comes a lot of questions. Well maybe not that many questions, basically the same 3 questions over and over and over again. "What do you do when it rains?", "How do you keep it cool?" and "Show us the equipment."

Well here is the whole Kit and Kaboodle. I call it o2manyfish, the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

I have a prolixity for grandiloquence --- before you google that it means diarrhea of the mouth with big words -- the video is kind of long. So take a bathroom break, topoff your favorite beverage before you click on the link.

The webcam as always is up and running 24/7. I upgraded to a new Axis V5915 which is supposed to do HiDef broadcast quality. But it still has some glitches. Even with upgraded internet speeds streaming the hi-def is not always perfect. And the camera occasionally hiccups and goes black and white.

If you can get the camera when it's working, the picture is pretty amazing. You can zoom in to the polyp level on most of the corals in the tank.

webcam is public access - No password needed - but don't be surprised if a big hairy guy walks past with his shirt off... you can access the camera via web page at www.o2manyfish.com/camera.htm or go directly to it via ip at 74.62.193.110 - It has a built in web server.

I never seem to be able to embed/link the videos correctly - Hope these work, first is the hi-def - second is the standard

And here is the new narrated youtube video:

Hope you enjoy it.

Dave B

Old 07/27/2016, 11:02 AM   #540
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Does the webcam feed directly to whomever looks at it? Or do you go through a third party service and then they (with much larger bandwidth) broadcast

Old 07/27/2016, 01:43 PM   #541
o2manyfish
Registered Member

SFSuphysics, The Axis camera feeds directly to the viewer.

I tried a couple of streaming services (like cam streamer) but they want $500+ for a license. I spent enough money on the camera I don't see a reason to buy a license just so the public gets a better streaming experience.If it were free then I would do it....

Dave B

Old 07/27/2016, 01:57 PM   #542
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

Just wondering if those are the glitches that you speak of, I mean if I view it it looks great, if me plus 99 other RC members view it, chances are you don't quite have that level of bandwidth to allow HD video.

Could possible feed through Youtube, I know they have live streaming now and I think that's free, but either way as long as you're happy with what you got (and I sure as hell would be )

Old 07/27/2016, 04:54 PM   #543
sfsuphysics
Registered Member

BTW nice video, grabbed myself a drink, had a sit back and enjoyed watching the whole thing.

I really love your "85% completion is good enough if it works" mentality Unfortunately I'm like that, but for my next tank I really REALLY need to break that habit, living 300 miles north of you the electricity is just as high, and possibly worse off because I'm not expected to use much electricity. Heat isn't a problem for tanks, but 50-60 degree ambient temperature year round is.

Old 07/27/2016, 06:40 PM   #544
saf1
Registered Member

Hi o2manyfish - another great video. Lots of questions but probably won't ask most, lol. I have to say I stopped by and watched the webcam a while back but had to stop. Felt like a stalker because I was on a conference call, chilling, and has it went on, and I spent time watching your tank, I started looking at the art work on the walls and other decorations about. Then I was like no, no, no - just look at the tank. Then I remember that someone could walk by - so that was it for me.

Are you running any form of solar? In your neck of the woods I'd bet you would have a good 6 - 7 hour windows of great generation. Still not sold on the efficiency of most panels but we ended up throwing it on our house. Have to say it is helping a bit but nowhere positive and selling back - it is more of just a buffer.

Anyway one thing that hits me every time is when you mention the outside air, dirt, quality of fish and corals mother nature has a way of handling that. I think we sometimes try and keep the tanks too clean and not let the dirt, silt, and other nastiness run its course. Just came back from a few dives and I have to say I saw some very healthy coral and fish yet the wreck I was diving was iron, lots of standing silt, and low current. Yet the size of the fish and corals are amazing. 90 feet and I'm seeing the fattest and largest Kole Tangs ever. Really neat. Your outside cabinet area reminded me of some of the ocean floors I was over. Same with the iron rim.

Wonder if bugs and larve are any part of your outside tanks success?

You didn't mention your Xenia! Just kidding, love the stuff. All in all a very natural looking tank with a good mixture of corals and fish. Oh, last question. You do have a lot of fish. By any chance are some of what you put in also responsible for keeping pests in check?

A mini food chain in your living room Welcome to Cali, right? Up North we are also in the 100 - 106 range. Thanks again for sharing.

Old 08/10/2016, 12:05 PM   #545
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Morning coffee with Angels

Hi Guys, (and dolls)

Yesterday my gluttony got the best of me and I added a second Goldflake to the outdoor frag tank.

I want the Goldflakes in the main display tank, but I am enjoying them outside so much.

I went out to check on the new arrival this morning, and was just really happy to see how good the tank and fish are looking outside. So I made another quick video.

Dave B

Old 08/10/2016, 12:44 PM   #546
dave.m
Registered Member

It's so difficult to see you suffering like this. Such hardship!

Dave.M

Old 08/10/2016, 02:30 PM   #547
saf1
Registered Member

@Dave.M - Lol.

@o2manyfish - nice. Love the second part when you admitted no more recording but still walked around and did it anyway

How long have you hand the clam?

Old 08/12/2016, 01:38 AM   #548
gregkn73
Registered Member

Awesome reef story, with many ups and downs but a good end :-)
If you don't mind some questions for the NSL of your frag tank. You mentioned that you noticed x3 growth rate, comparing to your DT. How many hours of direct sunlight, does your frag tank, gets in summer and winter? Did you notice any stop of growth ,during the winter? Do you supplement with artificially light during winter except the 30w actinic?

Thanks in advance

Greg

gregkn73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2016, 02:28 AM   #549
cFloor
Registered Member

Enjoyed the video Dave, keep em coming!

Instagram: @cfloorsaltwater
cFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2016, 12:50 PM   #550
glaukos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkn73 View Post
Awesome reef story, with many ups and downs but a good end :-)
If you don't mind some questions for the NSL of your frag tank. You mentioned that you noticed x3 growth rate, comparing to your DT. How many hours of direct sunlight, does your frag tank, gets in summer and winter? Did you notice any stop of growth ,during the winter? Do you supplement with artificially light during winter except the 30w actinic?

Thanks in advance

Greg
Please feel free to share your reef story,your routines,your ups and downs and your successes or not,with us,like dave and all the other do
Sharing our misfortunes or good days, is the most important part of the hobby.
True knowledge passed on.