Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/29/2016, 01:40 AM   #1
PirateLove
Registered Member

Why wait 24 hours after mixing?

Why do manufactures tell you to wait after making salt? Does it take that long to dissolve? Does the salinity change?

Current tank: Cad Lights 42 versa. Kessil AP700. Some Sps and Lps.
PirateLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2016, 01:58 AM   #2
Xxero
Registered Member

In an emergency, newly mixed water can be used as soon as it clears.

But most fresh salt batches mix at a high pH, so it's best to wait for that to stabilize. I believe "stability" is the goal of the recommended wait time.

Current Tank Info: 65g Mixed Reef Display - 15g Macro Algae/Refugium - 40b Sump
Xxero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2016, 03:24 PM   #3
Pmj
Registered Member

Red Sea coral pro you can use very quickly, I believe you are supposed to use it within 4 hours or else it starts getting cloudy but I used it within an hour for over a year. Now I'm just using Reef Crystals due to cost and yes it sucks to wait so much longer.

Pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2016, 03:37 PM   #4
cougareyes
Registered Member

That's actually old school thinking, contact any manufacturer now and they will tell you to use within a couple hours or so. You will get more precipitation the longer you wait and continue to mix.

cougareyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2016, 08:00 PM   #5
fernalfer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougareyes View Post
That's actually old school thinking, contact any manufacturer now and they will tell you to use within a couple hours or so. You will get more precipitation the longer you wait and continue to mix.
Not sure why this matters. You can wait as long as you want. What happens once in tank it just sits there and mixes with your powerheads same as in a brute tub.

fernalfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2016, 08:26 PM   #6
cougareyes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernalfer View Post
Not sure why this matters. You can wait as long as you want. What happens once in tank it just sits there and mixes with your powerheads same as in a brute tub.
I use to wait overnight and would always be curious as to why I had to dose so much after my water change, I was using salinity by seachem. I decided to test my fresh water and found all the levels low, they actually put the element reading on each individual bucket. I called them and they told me to use within a couple of hours. So after mixing and water cleared I did a water test, and the levels were exact as on the bucket. There is also a vid on youtube by red sea that explains this more clearly than I can. I believe BRS did a vid on this also. Why this happens I don't know, but there is precip between elements when people make their water in the wrong temp, circulate their mixture way too long, and store the water too long before changing into tank.

Unread 05/29/2016, 09:29 PM   #7
CStrickland
Registered Member

For regular 10% changes I use the water as soon as it's clear. Like 20 minutes. I don't bother heating it either.

The thing with precipitation is that many salts include levels of certain elements close to the saturation point. They like to brag about it on the package, and it can lessen the need to dose. That point is lower as the temp rises. So long time mixing and heat means it is more likely those elements will precipitate out of the water as a solid. Especially with a fancy brand that has a lot of Ca and Alk like RSCP.

I use IO and IORC. I've tested my ph a few times and never found it to be out of bounds by the time the salt is dissolved. Perhaps they are thinking people would be using tap water, with more CO2 in it?

So since there's no need, and a risk, plus wasting space and energy, I don't bother. I also wonder if back in the day the salt was grittier and people did need longer mixes, then it just stuck around as a superstition.

Current Tank Info: 3/2016 upgrade to 120g. Chalk bass, melanurus, firefish, starry blenny, canary blenny, lyretail anthias, engineer gobys, kole tang. Softies / LPS / NPS. <3 noob4life <3
CStrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2016, 10:04 PM   #8
Brieninsac
Registered Member

I use Red Sea Coral Pro as soon as it clears and is up to temp.

Unread 05/30/2016, 05:59 AM   #9
fernalfer
Registered Member

So i have had Instant Ocean Reef Crystals sitting in a 44 gallon Brute Bin with heater and powerhead now for 6 days because i was away. I figured i would get it up to temp and mixed ready for a big water change when i got back. So you guys are saying it is now no good and i should re mix new saltwater?

Unread 05/30/2016, 06:32 AM   #10
Argo747
Registered Member

I don't understand why this would matter either? If I mix my salt and then let the temperature rise overnight you guys are saying all the trace elements will participate out of the water? That seems odd to me. I use HW-Marinemix.

Argo747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2016, 07:33 AM   #11
cougareyes
Registered Member

Quote:
So i have had Instant Ocean Reef Crystals sitting in a 44 gallon Brute Bin with heater and powerhead now for 6 days because i was away. I figured i would get it up to temp and mixed ready for a big water change when i got back. So you guys are saying it is now no good and i should re mix new saltwater?
The water is still ok to use but the problem is now your water will probably be low in some of the elements. Ca, alk, and mg are the most common we test for, if you test that water you will find their levels to be substantially low. You will have to dose that back up to bring it up to the levels you like to keep your tank at. I'm not sure if other elements we don't usually test for precip out also.
Argo I use HW also, that stuff clears right away, I mix it up when I'm ready to use it.

Unread 05/30/2016, 09:05 AM   #12
CStrickland
Registered Member

Quote:
No. You're waters probs fine, you can test the alk and Ca to be sure. Op was asking about the myth that you must always mix for 24 hours before use, and heat the water to the same temp as he tank. The answer is no, you don't have to. Lots of people think they need to keep big amounts of water on hand all the time and have these complicated rituals for mixing salt that take hours and hours. If it's easier to just make 10g of rodi, add salt, and use it 20 minutes later, that's a nice option to have and there's no reason not to. That's the point of this thread. But if it's easier for you to do the other way cause of your vaca plans, that's probs fine too. You can always dose some two-part to bring it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougareyes View Post
There is also a vid on youtube by red sea that explains this more clearly than I can.
I think this one? It's a very good explanation.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UlIHJ02NaKk

Current Tank Info: 3/2016 upgrade to 120g. Chalk bass, melanurus, firefish, starry blenny, canary blenny, lyretail anthias, engineer gobys, kole tang. Softies / LPS / NPS. <3 noob4life <3
CStrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2016, 07:59 AM   #13
fernalfer
Registered Member

i guess i'm fine then because their is nothing in my tank yet. just doing water changes to lower nitrates. alk, calc, and mag not so critical right now with no corals.

Unread 06/01/2016, 02:26 PM   #14
almiller9
Registered Member

I think it also depends on the salt you use. Alot of the newer salts mix in 15 minutes and test out just fine. I always wait 24 hours just because i have a huge 100g mixing tank that takes awhile to heat up. Dump in salt and do water change the next day.

almiller9 is offline   Reply With Quote