Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/23/2020, 11:06 PM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

unze 3 power supply or controller not working

Hi Roger,

I to replace a power supply a few months ago. Likely due to the cracked bearing from the pump unit you replaced. Now either the power supply or the controller is failing -- I think it's the other power supply which is with the other pump (that unit also replaced one with a cracked bearing unit).

That pump (pump 2 I'll call it) wouldnt go on yesterday. The power supply wouldnt work to power the other pump. But from what i remember the working power supply also wouldnt work to power pump 2.
The controller was hot also. The power supply wasnt hot from what I remember.

I took the propeller drive out of the pump to cliean it out. There was a large buildup of bubble algae in the impeller area (inside the pujmp propeller housing / strainer. Maybe that was impeding the impeller?? ), there was very slime etc on the magenetic impeller shaft itself. I cleaned it all off (especially the bubble aglae). The power pump still would not go on. But a day later, I put that power supply back on to pump 2 just now. Apparently it's working now.
BUT for the first minute or so the front of the pump motor area had LEDs lit. I was trying to see how many, but it loooked like a bar of LED squares. That's gone now, though.

What werwe the LEDs? and do you think it was the bubble algae?

TTYY

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2020, 08:29 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Probably the pump overheated from the blockage and shut down and now that it has fully cooled off it works again. Those motors are heavy , that weight is almost completely copper windings, so they hold heat a long time if they overheat. I would check that the bearing was not damaged, if it is melted in appearance or translucent that could be the cause, they do often flash the lights briefly on start up though and that can be normal.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2020, 09:45 AM   #3
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvitko View Post
Probably the pump overheated from the blockage and shut down and now that it has fully cooled off it works again. Those motors are heavy , that weight is almost completely copper windings, so they hold heat a long time if they overheat. I would check that the bearing was not damaged, if it is melted in appearance or translucent that could be the cause, they do often flash the lights briefly on start up though and that can be normal.
TY Roger. The Bearing looks normal. The lights made me nervous. But everything 12 hrs + later feels cool -- the controller which was hot, not now and the power source.
I think (hope) I got lucky!

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote