Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/03/2014, 03:56 PM   #1
neddog
Registered Member

Torch Coral looks like its dying

Hi I made an order from saltwater fish. I got 6 new corals pulsing xenia, Hammer coral, Brain, Candy Cane, Galaxea, and the Torch. The Torch doesn't look too good looks like its withering away everything else is thriving. I have it in medium to low flow nitrates nitrites and ammonia all good salt is good. I got everything two days ago. Is this normal? will it bounce back?

neddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2014, 04:33 PM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

These are all stony corals, except the xenia. You need readings on your water to match mine in my sig line. Alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium are very important. Don't let any of these corals touch another---keep them 6 inches apart: some have stinging tentacles that come out at night---not kidding here: the galaxia; the torch and hammer don't have stingers, but will reach for each other: don't let them. You will need to start calcium supplementation to feed them, and they may come in hungry: read up on this in the stickies atop this forum, and if you need more help with something called 'kalk' [calcium], we can explain. First of all, get tests to cover what I have in my sig line, particularly those 3, get some supplements: I use Kent Turbo Calcium, Kent Tech M [magnesium], and Kent DKH buffer [alkalinity.] I use Salifert brand tests, for those 3 items. We can walk you through all this. It's not a screaming emergency, except to be sure the water has enough of these things. Keep us posted what you find when you run those 3 tests.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2014, 04:59 PM   #3
ska d
Registered Member

Just to add to above. Torches don't travel well at all, so it will take a few days to see it open. I have a hard time finding a spot with low enough flow.

ska d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2014, 05:13 PM   #4
neddog
Registered Member

ok let me try to figure out how to put them on there nitrate 0 nitrite 0 nitrite 0 PH 7.8 Calcium 420 salinity 1.022. I don't have a magnesium test kit
I have a 28g nano cube live rock in the back. all I run is filter floss and media pad to catch debris. I also do a 5g water change once a week. temp 80

Unread 04/03/2014, 05:17 PM   #5
neddog
Registered Member

Ok so I looked and how do I put all that Info on the bottom of my posts I cant figure it out

Unread 04/03/2014, 05:32 PM   #6
Fish_King_25
Reef Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddog View Post
Ok so I looked and how do I put all that Info on the bottom of my posts I cant figure it out
What Sk8r is saying isnt that you need to make a signature like he has, but that your tank parameters need to match the ones he has advertised on HIS signature. Those parameters he displays are the best starting point to shoot for to keep a reef tank healthy..so posting your Alk, mag, and calc levels are huge for us to help you

29g mixed reef lps, sps, and softies, 10g sump/fuge, cadlights pls-100 skimmer, LifeReef overflow with Mag 7 return pump, Tunze ATO, 2 Koralias, 4x24w T5HO ATIs w/ moonlight LEDs

Current Tank Info: Green Chromis, Yellow Clown Goby, Green Mandarin, Diamond Goby, Percula Clown, and CUC
Fish_King_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2014, 05:38 PM   #7
neddog
Registered Member

So are you guys typing all that out every time or is it there every time you make a post? I would like to do the same with my posts. Where do I enter this info? Thank You

Unread 04/03/2014, 05:44 PM   #8
neddog
Registered Member

Not only am I new to this site but I've never been a member on any forum site except nano reef and I joined that about the same time I joined this site

Unread 04/03/2014, 05:51 PM   #9
billdogg
Registered Member

FWIW - Sk8r is not a "His", but rather a "Hers"

Your parameters will change, so don't bother putting them in your signature line. What Sk8r is trying to say is that your tank's parameters should match the info in her signature, not necessarily that hers remain there without changing. (mine sure don't, at least not all the time ) If you spend a little more time here you will find that she posts in the newbie forum frequently, and at least IMO, her advice is always rock solid.

How old is your tank, and about how much rock is in it?

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2014, 05:51 PM   #10
flixxx
Registered Member

Lol I think we went a bit off topic. Match your water parameters to sk8 Signature. I believe ur salinity is a bit low. Also buy a mag test kit.

Current Tank Info: 45 Gallon Miracle cube, 15 gallon sump, 1 ecotech mp40, Ecotech radion xr30w, rlss r6-i skimmer, eheim 3000 return pump, blueline 250 watt water heater
flixxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2014, 06:02 PM   #11
neddog
Registered Member

Yah just a little off topic lol. I have about 45lbs of live rock. I have the center chamber in the back is filled with golf ball or a little bigger size rubble and the rest in the tank. my tank is 45 days old today

Unread 04/03/2014, 06:19 PM   #12
neddog
Registered Member

ok I figured it out The signature line that is. also I have moved the torch to a shaded area with less flow. I just hope its not too little too late

Unread 04/03/2014, 06:42 PM   #13
Bernie21
Registered Member

I have several torches & other euphyllia corals in my tank & I keep salinity around there at 1.023, give or take +/- .001. I have however noticed wherever my Ph drops below 8, things tend to close up. I'd be more concerned about raising the Ph. so I'd recommend a lil Ph buffer for that torch.

Current Tank Info: Downgraded to a 0 Gal non Mixed Reef - Direct sun watts & 1x moon Actinics. RIO 00 return, no skimmer Skimmer.
Bernie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2014, 06:23 PM   #14
neddog
Registered Member

Thanks guys but the torch didn't make it. It was totally gone by the 4th. When I did a water change the next day I lightly held the vacuum over it and it all came out of the skeleton.

Unread 04/07/2014, 08:10 PM   #15
Mikesmith34
Registered Member

They have been know to regenerate. Put it in a place and forget it. Work on your husbandry skills and keep your tank stable. Stability is the key never overreact to a low or high number. The torch just may surprise you and begin new growth in a month or so.

Mikesmith34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2014, 07:27 AM   #16
neddog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesmith34 View Post
They have been know to regenerate. Put it in a place and forget it. Work on your husbandry skills and keep your tank stable. Stability is the key never overreact to a low or high number. The torch just may surprise you and begin new growth in a month or so.
That would be great its in a shaded area should I move it back into the light?

Tags
dying coral, please help, saltwater fish, torch coral