Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/01/2016, 01:57 PM   #1
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

My Custom 160 Build :)

Well.. it's time

Been without a tank for way too long !!
So...

This Summer someone I know was getting ready to move and was looking to unload a nice custom built oak stand for an odd sized tank ( 53" x 24" ) with the matching canopy. I got it next to nothing too

A couple of weeks back I went and ordered the custom tank as well.
Tank dimensions are 53" x 30" x 30" however, there is a coast to coast overflow at the back that measures 6" x 8" that has been drilled for 6 feeds and 3 returns ( Bean Animal ). The back pane of the tank has a sheet of black acrylic glued to it that is also the comb. The sides of the Overflow are full height as well and are covered with vinyl as well to hide the plumbing

For the Sump in using your run of the mill 75Gal tank that I picked up at BigAl's here in South Edmonton as a scratch and dent deal, as the bottom tank trim got damaged and picked it up for $40.
I have worked out most of my dimensions and baffles with my daughter over the holidays with some scrap cardboard and a hot glue gun. I made a cut list and have submited it for a quote right before the holidays so its gonna be a couple of days before I get an answer.

The plan is to start from scratch...
Base Rock and Live Sand only!

Last edited by Audi_Guy; 01/01/2016 at 02:03 PM.
Audi_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2016, 12:18 AM   #2
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

On boxing day I picked up a skimmer and some base rock
Skimmer is an ESHOPPS PSK200 and the chunk is a hefty 60Lb triangular piece.

Will post pics as soon as i get the tank into the house

Unread 01/02/2016, 09:37 AM   #3
Bogue Chitto
Registered Member

I wish you well with your venture, I know it will be fun and exciting to dive back into the hobby. Will be watching for pics.

Bogue Chitto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2016, 10:55 AM   #4
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

Thanks

Next step is to get myself a good pair of titanium heaters and the main pumps...
I'm getting mixed reviews at both, but worried more about the heaters as they are slightly bit harder to fix.

For the main pumps, I'm looking at 2 Jecod DCT12000's and another Jebao DC3000 with a needle wheel for the skimmer.
From what I have read, its not the pumps that fail but rather the controller which I'm working on a suitable replacement for all DC pumps

PS:
Im building my own Arduino based controller, LED Light fixture with integrated serial control, DC Pump Controller as well as a dedicated dual outlet PID temperature controller.
Most of these are overkill, but that's what will ensure an accurate and long service life

Last edited by Audi_Guy; 01/02/2016 at 11:19 AM.
Unread 01/03/2016, 12:33 PM   #5
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

Working on the sump today...
Tore down an older aquarium and re-using the glass ( 6mm )

Went shopping and picked up a tube of GE Silicone I as well as a caulking gun and a glass cutter.

Unread 01/03/2016, 01:37 PM   #6
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Good luck to you, Audi_Guy! Have you decided on live stock?

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2016, 04:01 PM   #7
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Good luck to you, Audi_Guy! Have you decided on live stock?
That comes later...
First water needs to go in as well as the 180-200lbs of base rock and then it needs to mature for at least 30-60 days. No short cuts !!
The "reclaimed" glass is from a 40Gal Breeder. i was just going to toss the tank until I realized it was 6mm glass.

Here's a few pics of the sump build:

First set of baffles in, now just gotta cut the holder for the two 4" filter socks. Like I said...
Slowly coming along. I'm trying to DIY as much as I can on this one though

PS: This silicone sure stinks like Vinegar though !!

Unread 01/03/2016, 06:31 PM   #8
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

Here's a few pics of the "boulder" I got for Christmas

Unread 01/03/2016, 07:51 PM   #9
Ogi
Registered Member

Yay pictures

Ogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2016, 08:21 PM   #10
Bogue Chitto
Registered Member

Good size rocks..I like the smell of silicone, it always makes me think of a new fish tank....

Unread 01/03/2016, 08:53 PM   #11
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

Here is today's progress as of 7:45PM MST

Unread 01/04/2016, 08:07 PM   #12
Bogue Chitto
Registered Member

It's coming along good.

Unread 01/04/2016, 10:20 PM   #13
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogue Chitto View Post
It's coming along good.
Sure is!
Been rethinking that last compartment though...
I was thinking of building in a "reactor" in the last compartment. Was thinking 10x10x18 with drains at the bottom into the pump compartment. The idea behind it is to fill the bottom half with Live Rock rubble and Coarse Aragonite mix with a bag of activated carbon on top. The water would be fed from a small pump ( ~100Gal/hr ) in the skimmer compartment, which will be right after the filter socks

Unread 01/05/2016, 06:06 PM   #14
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi_Guy View Post
Sure is!
Been rethinking that last compartment though...
I was thinking of building in a "reactor" in the last compartment. Was thinking 10x10x18 with drains at the bottom into the pump compartment. The idea behind it is to fill the bottom half with Live Rock rubble and Coarse Aragonite mix with a bag of activated carbon on top. The water would be fed from a small pump ( ~100Gal/hr ) in the skimmer compartment, which will be right after the filter socks
After some thought...
I would be better to build 2 units side by side. This way water can be pumped in from the bottom and pushed through the rubble over a weir into the compartment next to it. This way I can "seed" this area with coppapods and act as a buffer zone for beneficial bacteria.

Any input ?

Unread 01/05/2016, 08:24 PM   #15
Bogue Chitto
Registered Member

That sounds good to me, The pods should do real well in there.

Unread 01/06/2016, 12:39 AM   #16
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

If you know what's going in, livestock-wise, you can better tailor your system to accommodate it, before you finish the build, rather than after.

Lose the filter socks. Don't be a slave.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2016, 12:23 AM   #17
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

Nothing happened the past few days... been busy with work and bosses basement flooded due to a crack in his hot water tank, and of course this meant OT

Long Story short...
Took a trip to princess auto and got their diamond hole saws and will be attempting to pop a few "holes" in the glass... Yes... that means I'm back at it

Unread 01/09/2016, 08:46 PM   #18
WilRams
Registered Member

Thats a big rock! Look forward to seeing the progress.

WilRams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2016, 09:23 PM   #19
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Lose the filter socks. Don't be a slave.
I'm not worried about them as they won't be in there long enough to become "nitrate factories". I already ordered a dozen socks and I'm sticking to my guns on this one as I did used them in the past and had no issues. The trick is to rotate the filter socks every couple of days, and this way it works better than any other mechanical filtration I know off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilRams View Post
Thats a big rock! Look forward to seeing the progress.
Sure is
Planning to split it into 2 width wise to build 2 shelf's

Unread 01/10/2016, 11:54 PM   #20
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

Welp... its about 80% done!

Ran out of glass too, but still have a few things to finish up...
The Filter Sock Tray, Return Line holder and as well as a few baffles are still on the to do list.

Enough chit chat.
Here's some pics of the progress... Again :P

It's not "pretty" but it will work that's for sure

As you guys can see the reactors are at the back of the sump and they drain into the pump chamber...

Unread 01/11/2016, 08:36 AM   #21
juzz.raath
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi_Guy View Post
Welp... its about 80% done!

Ran out of glass too, but still have a few things to finish up...
The Filter Sock Tray, Return Line holder and as well as a few baffles are still on the to do list.

Enough chit chat.
Here's some pics of the progress... Again

It's not "pretty" but it will work that's for sure

As you guys can see the reactors are at the back of the sump and they drain into the pump chamber...
Did you design the sump yourself? Pretty nice little project mate. I'm doing mine at the moment as well. I may be pulling some pieces out tommorow after looking at yours though

juzz.raath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2016, 09:33 AM   #22
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juzz.raath View Post
Did you design the sump yourself? Pretty nice little project mate. I'm doing mine at the moment as well. I may be pulling some pieces out tommorow after looking at yours though
Yes, it's something I cooked up in my head, then it went on paper... then used cardboard for mock up. In a way I screwed myself as I would have had enough glass, but messing around I broke quite a few panes

Also I added a few supports to the "trays" that will be supporting weight.
I have someone locally that's trying to unload some things I'm looking for fairly cheap and im still on the hunt for a small and quiet pump for the reactor chamber...

Last edited by Audi_Guy; 01/11/2016 at 09:41 AM.
Unread 01/11/2016, 08:48 PM   #23
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

Worked out the dimensions for the "fuge" and its gonna be about 10Gal which is more than enough for me

AND!!!

Even have 2 ways of doing this with a single pump!!
A.
The pump will be feeding the reactor AND the refugium as it will sit above the bottom of the tank and will be closer to the rim of the tank. The feed will be split across the reactor and the refuge via a T and 2 valves on to even out the flow / pressure between the 2. The drain from the refugium would drain into the same chamber as the main tank drain and would go through the same "filtration" process as the display.

B.
The pump would feed the refugium, then the drain from the refuge would be plumbed into the reactor feed. This way the water would "free flow" from one to the next as the water level would be a few inches higher than the reactors. The plumbing would be simpler as well.

Either one would allow "cycling" of the sump / tank with hardy inhabitants in the refuge without having to chase them or trying trap them later in the display tank meanwhile providing the system with a bio load of some sort.
Raising the refuge from the sump bottom allows me to place heaters below, as well as acting as a bubble trap. The small pump would also fit perfectly in front of the protein skimmer, without interfering with maintenance.
The feed to the refugium in either case would be a spray bar to promote tumbling of water for Chaetomorpha growth.

As you guys can see this is "build it as I go" and it's coming together nicely

Last edited by Audi_Guy; 01/11/2016 at 08:53 PM.
Unread 01/13/2016, 08:38 AM   #24
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

May even do a "combo" of the 2 options...

Drain from Fuge feeding the reactor though a tee'd with a feed with valve on the inlet with a reducer on the pressure side to act as a venturi. larger pump maybe required with this route...

Unread 01/15/2016, 10:33 PM   #25
Audi_Guy
Registered Member

This Week progress has been slow... and by that I mean nothing got done !
Work has been crazy busy and been putting in quite a bit of OT, on top of that I think I'm coming down with a cold

I was supposed to pick up another 40 breeder for glass as its cheaper to buy a used tank than it is to buy glass as the 6mm is almost $30 / sq.ft.

Hopefully things calm down a bit over the weekend and i can get back to getting this sump done.