Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/07/2019, 01:51 AM   #976
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mk View Post
The 2 tanks thing. 55g is really tight and not designed for reefing. It's actually already filled to capacity after I put in my stuff. No room to work with as you described earlier.

Bought a 75g Aqueon 3/8" glass (same width and height but deeper) and returned it after noticing the silicone seams are splitting apart when water was filled in for the first time. I freaked out when I saw what was happening with thoughts of 75g of salt water on the living room floor! (Strange thing I notice is even my current 55G with 1/2" glass "buckles" when filled. I notice this after recently making a snug fitting egg crate partial cover to fit on the top. After water is filled, it's no longer snug fitting and has a gap of more than 1/2 centimeter at one tank corner between the tanks top rim and its snug fitting egg crate.)

(The current 55g was going to be turned into a all inclusive sump, fuge, ATO and water change reservoir. Plans got derailed and all ambitions was lost)
Yikes. That scares me.
New tank leaking (or maybe used). My 90 Gallon Tank is about 15 years old and I've never redone the Silcone. Some silcone is pealing inside, but I no leaks. To remove everything and re-seal it it lots hard work.
Less then the work if it breaks, so I should do someday. Silicone only lasts so long.
Hey, if it does leak or Bust and 90 Gallons leaks out instantly. I'll know. It's directly above me right now while typing at my Computer in basement.
Whew...I just looked up!! Ceiling is still dry.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Mixed Tank (T5,Kessil), 110G Custom In-Wall Office Tank (SPS only: T5 DIY Dimmable, Blue LED Strip, EuroReef Skimmer, DIY Doser, Gyre/Hydor Circ, DC Waveline 10,000 Return, Total Automation [Dual Tank SUMP ROOM] )
Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2019, 02:19 PM   #977
2mk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
To be honest. I'm getting tired of this project. I get really excited when I researching or solving a problem. Or building and modifying.
All that is behind me, and I just got to write all the Human Interface Software. I would actually be more motivated if I was writing the Inteface for others. Like you. But for myself it tough, to just say Good Enough.
But I have learned that if I cut corners, then I regret it later.
So REALLY CLOSE to finished. Really close means probably two weeks, or maybe 4 days.
THEN THE VIDEO WILL BE OUT. I can't wait myself.

You got one of the Brains!!

The Alk Monitor Lab is two brains. A Raspberry PI that does the "Do this" "Do that" "Do this next" and "Time to do this" and also is the "Touch screen Interface" that's a Web Page. One one more important thing. It runs the Camera that does the Measurement.

The 2nd Controller is a "Ardiuno". It's super fast to run the motors, the pumps, INSTANTLY. Something a Raspberry Pi can kind of do, but can be sometime busy doing other stuff since it has a operating system like Windows (called Linux)

As Far as Software.....
The Ariduno is Pure "C" Compiler. Very bits and bytes.
The PI is a "Linux Operating System", and Web Servers, Open CV Computer vision, C code for fast stuff, Perl for Scripts and sequencing, Other modules too.

You Dad sounds productive. And you could probably help him with some automation.

Forget Java. I tried to learn it. Too Cryptic.
For starters, get a Raspberry PI, and learn Maybe (Python). And if you do, you can learn about (GPIO), which is connections on the Raspberry PI to turn on LEDS, Turn on a Pump, listen for a Push-Button.
I hate Python since it kind of for beginners (Easy to start and read), and kind of for Experts (Cryptic for me compare to other Languages).

I already metioned Raspberry PI.
Maybe look into a Project Called ReefPI, which is a ready to go Aquarium COntroller, that someone designed and built, and give you the Code to Run on the PI computer, and you then customize. When you customize you can learn. There are forum group that help each other. The ReefPI can run lights, outlets, sensors like Temp or PH, pumps, has a touch display like mine, etc, etc

OR

Get this kit.... (Which can build a ReefPI and more)
https://www.amazon.com/Freenove-Rasp...3111995&sr=8-4

Great way to learn C, Python, or Java. Comes with Lessons and a ton of part to do all kind of projects. Plenty of Raspberry Pi books with Projects out there (I get myProgramming Books from Public Library...Too expensive to buy).

*** BUT don't get into controlling High Voltage/Current Stuff like you dad's outdoor AC pump *** Not for beginners and can kill you. Especially around water.
I have a degree in Electrical Engineering and still don't like High Voltage. I rather do all my stuff with Low Voltage DC stuff.

But if you are Young, and Eager to Learn, get into Stuff like Raspberry PI, or Ardiuno.
I learned it all myself (as Hobby, not school, not job). SLOWLY. Small projects (Like push a button and turn on LED) and got better and better. Took 4 years to really get into more complex stuff.

The best way to get into it is Having a Purpose. Not just doing copycat projects.
I would suggest you goal is to Make you own Auto Top Up, with a Float Switch and a DC Pump.
[Float UP, Pump OFF] [Float down, Pump on]. Then do more, like add a display to show how much water gets added. Add features like a Auto Top up Limit to prevent flood. Etc. You get my point. Start Small, work up.

Thanks for all that info Wally, and the high voltage warning. My Dad is really handy when it come to tinkering with stuff. Woodworking, making mechanical devices etc....

I will start getting that kit from that link you sent me. And also look into the ReefPi Project.

Current Tank Info: 35G + 55G Combined By 30G Sump, Alexa, Apex, 2x EB832, 1x DOS, 2x FMM, 3x Flow Sensors, Neptune ATK ATO, 1x WRX, 3x Radion XR15 G4 Pro, 1x Kessil AH80, Teco Chiller, Octo Essence 130 & Red Sea Skimmers, 6x Hydor Koralias, 2x MaxiJets, Danner Pump
2mk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2019, 04:34 PM   #978
2mk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
Yikes. That scares me.
New tank leaking (or maybe used). My 90 Gallon Tank is about 15 years old and I've never redone the Silcone. Some silcone is pealing inside, but I no leaks. To remove everything and re-seal it it lots hard work.
Less then the work if it breaks, so I should do someday. Silicone only lasts so long.
Hey, if it does leak or Bust and 90 Gallons leaks out instantly. I'll know. It's directly above me right now while typing at my Computer in basement.
Whew...I just looked up!! Ceiling is still dry.

The tank was bought new from Petsmart for $200. IT has a really sturdy top and bottom frame. With that in mind, it looks like it was a good product eventhough the glass was thinner to the point of being skimpy. Boy, was I wrong. I was going for the cheap.

What I really wanted was an Innovative Marine 75G, but it cost a lot to me ($1500 or $1700 tank with stand as I remember). I did not see the difference in price benefit, cause my 55g is pretty good for being around that long. It turns out my old 55g was build really well with good glass thickness, while the 75g now us made with thinner 3/8" glass (so are the current 55g's too). There are a lot of failure stories on the internet on this tank. You even start hearing about Rea Sea Reefer failures now. I had even built a "wooden table top" for my existing steel frame to accommodate this tank since the 75g was 6 inches deeper, while there was nothing for sale that I think was sturdy enough for it. The thinking was also to reuse everything I have and not let it sit idle.

Like I mentioned before, the current 55g was going to bottom of the frame where my current sump sits as a super sized all in one sump. with the 75g goes on top. Luckily I have not bought glass and converted the current 55g into the custom DIY sump I wanted. That would have been a financial disaster. Either way, my whole plan got derailed, which made me going back to my first thought in expanding my tank space. That is what I wind out having now.

Current Tank Info: 35G + 55G Combined By 30G Sump, Alexa, Apex, 2x EB832, 1x DOS, 2x FMM, 3x Flow Sensors, Neptune ATK ATO, 1x WRX, 3x Radion XR15 G4 Pro, 1x Kessil AH80, Teco Chiller, Octo Essence 130 & Red Sea Skimmers, 6x Hydor Koralias, 2x MaxiJets, Danner Pump
2mk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2019, 12:49 AM   #979
bobssecrtsn
Registered Member

Dang Wally. After years of taking a break and coming back to this hobby your here still! I’m going to create a journal soon... hope everything is going well!

Unread 11/15/2019, 08:06 PM   #980
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobssecrtsn View Post
Dang Wally. After years of taking a break and coming back to this hobby your here still! I’m going to create a journal soon... hope everything is going well!
Yup, still here. Always things to Do/Learn/improve.

Post your Thread when you get started.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Mixed Tank (T5,Kessil), 110G Custom In-Wall Office Tank (SPS only: T5 DIY Dimmable, Blue LED Strip, EuroReef Skimmer, DIY Doser, Gyre/Hydor Circ, DC Waveline 10,000 Return, Total Automation [Dual Tank SUMP ROOM] )
Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
automation, dosing, sump