Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/20/2018, 04:04 PM   #1
Cliving1
Registered Member

75 gallon stocking

I recently purchased a new tank and cant wait to add new additions. I am taking my time, so I want to run some thoughts out there. The tank is 75 up top, 25 below. I currently have a coral beauty and skunk clown. It has always been my hope to have a copperband butterfly. Not sure if it's possible, and yes I have read alot on them, knowing how difficult they are. But I would like feedback on size and whatnot. I would also like to keep leopard wrasse, not sure if multiples can or should be done. I also would like a longnose hawkfish. Other than those ( which I would appreciate feedback on- yes, no, why), I would like peaceful and for the most part smaller fish. I enjoy more smaller fish, than 1 large fish in the tank. Thanks for your help!

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2018, 08:38 PM   #2
mike61289
Registered Member

A 75 gallon is still kind of small for a copperband butterfly. You can probably grow out a small one for some time, but will need to upgrade to a bigger tank or swap it out for another small one. Make sure you quarantine him and that he is eating before adding him to the display.

One leopard wrasse is all I would recommend for a 75. Since they're generally hunting pods all day long, you'll see that having multiples would result in a quickly depleted pod population size. Make sure you have a sandbed as they need to bury themselves at night.

The hawkfish is a solid choice.

One of my personal favorites in my 75 gallon is my yellow wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus). It is super friendly, not shy, eats with gusto, and is simply a thrill to watch. It would need a sandbed to bury itself. I also love dartfish and firefish. Just make sure the top is covered. Dartfish groups make for great displays! Cardinals are also nice options if you could get an established pair (bangaii) or a small group (pajamas). Lots of options for you!

Unread 06/21/2018, 06:25 AM   #3
Cliving1
Registered Member

I figured it would be too big. Well I may skip the copperband then. Also, good to know on the leopard. What if no copperband, would it be better to have multiple leopards? Sand is about 3". Ok hawk is a go, good to know. If the leopards dont work maybe I will try different wrasse. I didn't know you could have multiple dartfish, will have to check those out

Unread 06/21/2018, 07:44 AM   #4
nereefpat
Registered Member

Copperband is borderline, imo. Max size is 7", according to fishbase, but they aren't an open-water/migrating fish like a tang. I'll defer to someone who has kept one here.

A longnosed hawkfish (or a pair of them) should be in every tank. Mike's suggestion of H. chrysus is a perfect fish too.

Leopard wrasses are beautiful, and I think most folks keep them in pairs. Mature rock and a fuge would definitely help, as would an auto-feeder so they can eat several times a day.

Fairy and flasher wrasses are others to look into, if you're into that.

Orchid dottyback is another great one.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2018, 11:35 AM   #5
scooter31707
Registered Member

Agree with the options above. Also you can look into the Flameback/Brazilian Dwarf angels and the black cap basslet.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2018, 07:37 AM   #6
Cliving1
Registered Member

Ok so probably skip the butterfly then. Can I add another dwarf angel with the coral beauty? Black cap is a good idea. Definitely getting the hawkfish. I suppose I can wait a bit for the leopard. Also need to find a lid.

Unread 06/25/2018, 09:29 AM   #7
scooter31707
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliving1 View Post
Ok so probably skip the butterfly then. Can I add another dwarf angel with the coral beauty? Black cap is a good idea. Definitely getting the hawkfish. I suppose I can wait a bit for the leopard. Also need to find a lid.
Yes, you can add another dwarf with the CB, but be careful. I would try to avoid the ones like Flameback, Atlantic pygmy, Flame angel, and Potteri because of the same color pattern. I would recommend a Multi-color dwarf angel would be a good fit. Make sure you have enough rockwork and I would recommend adding them at the same time.

Unread 06/25/2018, 10:46 AM   #8
Cliving1
Registered Member

Well the CB is already in there. And I went pretty minimalist this time with the rock, so I should probably avoid another angel then

Unread 06/25/2018, 11:21 AM   #9
scooter31707
Registered Member

Quote:
Well the CB is already in there. And I went pretty minimalist this time with the rock, so I should probably avoid another angel then
You can try to rearrange the rockwork when adding another one or you could try an acclimation box for a few days to see how they will react.

Unread 06/26/2018, 07:08 AM   #10
Hypert
Registered Member

I found that moving around the rocks helps. But it really depends.

Hypert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2018, 04:35 PM   #11
Cliving1
Registered Member

I will see what the lfs has this weekend on angels.

What are everyone's thoughts on a ground dweller? Goby or some sort of goat fish? Not sure how big those get. I will have a hawk for perching, a few fish for open swimming, trying to fill up all spaces...

Unread 06/28/2018, 10:30 AM   #12
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
What are everyone's thoughts on a ground dweller?
My favorite one is the pink and blue spot goby (Cryptocentrus leptocephalus).

It gets a little bigger than most other gobies and has a ton of personality.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2018, 07:19 AM   #13
scooter31707
Registered Member

Goatfish I believe gets too big for your tank. If you decide on a Goby, I would make sure to introduce it first before the hawkfish, IMO.

Unread 06/29/2018, 10:54 AM   #14
Cliving1
Registered Member

Good idea. Il make sure to do that. The tank was converted two weeks ago, all fish and coral are A OK. So I am going to try to in introduce another fish this weekend and see how it goes

Unread 07/02/2018, 06:33 PM   #15
Cliving1
Registered Member

Ok no luck on the right size and angels listed below. Added 2 new, very small additions. First is the yasha goby, always been interested in them. Currently about .5" but has taken to the main cave. I think I saw it eat a piece of mysis or two but thats about it. The second is the longnose hawk! About 1", such a great personality, very happy to have another and is eating well. Working on putting a lid together, right now I just have clear screen taped over the tank, cant look at it anymore haha.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg h1.jpg (63.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg y1.jpg (58.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg y2.jpg (71.5 KB, 23 views)
Unread 08/09/2018, 09:47 PM   #16
Redeyes31
Registered Member

Quote:
First is the yasha goby, always been interested in them. Currently about .5" but has taken to the main cave. I think I saw it eat a piece of mysis or two but thats about it.
I just got my 70/22 up and running and have a Yasha (just like yours), 2 blue neon gobys, and 2 zebra dartfish. I was worried about the Yasha; it really likes to hide and is seems stressed if it doesn't have a good spot. Survived qt tho. It also found a nice cave in my display and it's seldom seen so far (we're only talking 2 days). Just a few minutes ago I witnessed a zebra swim on up in his hole. He opened his mouth menacingly, kinda puffed up. the zebra just swam up to his mouth, more or less, and he bit it! All these gobys were tagged as super friendly, but they've all got serious attitude!

Im getting a pistol shrimp tomorrow. Will see if it pairs with the yasha.

Redeyes31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2018, 05:06 AM   #17
OrionN
Moved on

I would add another CB. Having a pair is great. I have a Flame angel pair in my 65 and they spawned often. In order to ensure that you don't have two male angels, i would get a small CB rather than medium or larger. I don't think you can reliably sex CB like Flame angels.
Regarding Leopard wrasses, you can add multiple in your tank. Both CB and Leopard wrasse hunt all day and will depleted your fauna, but they are not obligate live food feeder like Mandarin. They will eat everything, including flakes.
the group picture below was in a larger tank. The only think that keep me from being ecstatic with them is that all my Leopards stay as females, no one progressed and become a male.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leopard2016090501.jpg (66.6 KB, 93 views)

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2018, 05:25 AM   #18
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Ok no luck on the right size and angels listed below. Added 2 new, very small additions. First is the yasha goby, always been interested in them. Currently about .5" but has taken to the main cave. I think I saw it eat a piece of mysis or two but thats about it. The second is the longnose hawk! About 1", such a great personality, very happy to have another and is eating well. Working on putting a lid together, right now I just have clear screen taped over the tank, cant look at it anymore haha.
Did you added a Pistol Shrimp with the Yasha goby? Determine the sex of your goby and add an opposite sex to make a pair. I would add a red banded Pistol shrimp at the same time. Your hawk fish may cause problem for the shrimp.
If you have a lid on your aquarium, consider a few Flasher and Fairy wrasses.

About sexing Yasha Goby, males have dark spots on the Ventral/Pelvic (the perching fins) fins as show below. Not my picture.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yasha Goby Pair.jpg (81.2 KB, 94 views)

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2018, 11:11 AM   #19
Cliving1
Registered Member

Not sure what happened. The yasha was eating mysis and flakes. A little while ago he was laying out on the sand lifeless. Really upset, that was one cool fish. Had a cave and everything. So to answer your question, no, I did not add one. To make things worse, the hawk made it through a narrow opening and went surfing. 0/2

Not having the best of luck. I tried a scopas tang and it's been alive and kicking for a few weeks now. So I have 3 fish that eat like pigs. It's funny, the skunk clown taught both the scopas and CB how to eat off a seaweed clip.

I didn't know I could add another CB? That's interesting. Would be really cool to see that. My current one I have had for about 4 years.

I still want to try my hand at a leopard though...

Unread 08/13/2018, 03:11 PM   #20
Silly clownfish
Registered Member

I spwould go with a flame hawk over a long nose. Both are cool, but I think the flame is less likely to pick on other fish - not sure about that though.

Have you considered a one spot foxface? Similar size/flat shape as the CBB and an easy keeper.

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef, 20g sump, ocelaris clownfish (20+yrs old), flame hawk, one spot foxface rabbitfish, green mandarin, Bicolor Blenny, Coral Beauty;30g sumpless with Spotcinctus pair
Silly clownfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2018, 04:27 PM   #21
Cliving1
Registered Member

Yeah I have. But the whole spine thing makes me weary. Hawks are so much fun, cant believe it made it through that tiny of a hole. Might try one again...idk. I am taking my time this tank around!

Unread 08/26/2018, 03:44 PM   #22
Cliving1
Registered Member

Some new coral

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180826_152650-1.jpg (64.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20180823_195129-1.jpg (55.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20180826_152703-1.jpg (77.4 KB, 6 views)
Unread 08/26/2018, 03:46 PM   #23
Cliving1
Registered Member

Tank pics, new jebao pp-8 and 2 AI primes. Getting a pump soon for little fishies phosban reactor 150.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180826_121127-1.jpg (93.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20180826_121134-1.jpg (68.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20180826_121140-2.jpg (70.8 KB, 9 views)
Unread 08/26/2018, 06:21 PM   #24
Cliving1
Registered Member

Wrong thread! Posting these to build now.

Unread 08/27/2018, 09:08 AM   #25
Silly clownfish
Registered Member

I feel your pain. Both flame hawks I have owned have gone carpet/hardwood surfing. One after 9 months, the other after almost 19 years. I have always used a full glass canopy with the plastic strip on the back cut to fit around pipes. For the more recent 19 year old one, the problem was the way I had my automatic feeder set up to drop into a uses a piece of ~3” long 1.5” diameter pvc to let the pellets sink a little before getting caught in the flow of my powerheads and swept around the tank (thus avoiding going straight into the overflow. I had removed the netting I had at the bottom of the pipe because if got nasty from food. The hawk used to hover under the pipe at feeding time and I suspect my foxface flashed his spikes to intimidate and the hawk jumped.

Jumping has been my number one cause of fish loss post quarantine/acclimation in 20 plus years. 2 flame hawks, flasher and fairy wrasse, neon dottyback. All through tiny, tiny openings in full flasher wrasse along made multiple trips to the overflow and used to hit the canopy hard enough to be heard in the next room on an almost daily basis.

Kim

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef, 20g sump, ocelaris clownfish (20+yrs old), flame hawk, one spot foxface rabbitfish, green mandarin, Bicolor Blenny, Coral Beauty;30g sumpless with Spotcinctus pair
Silly clownfish is offline   Reply With Quote