Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/06/2014, 02:11 AM   #51
saltrecruit
Registered Member

Stand Design

Hey Kevan! Very nice tank! I have taken a strong interest in marine fish and the biology of a tank etc. I have acquired a 35g solana tank and I would really really love to have a stand like the one you have! I am curious to more specifics on how you built it, the type of magnets, how you installed them and what you used to screw the boards together with. I am inexperienced with wood work but I have a friend with some handyman experience that is willing to help and will provide tooling and assistance. Any details/advice you could spare for me to build a stand similar to yours?

Thanks,

saltrecruit

saltrecruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2014, 02:00 AM   #52
kevantheman35
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltrecruit View Post
Hey Kevan! Very nice tank! I have taken a strong interest in marine fish and the biology of a tank etc. I have acquired a 35g solana tank and I would really really love to have a stand like the one you have! I am curious to more specifics on how you built it, the type of magnets, how you installed them and what you used to screw the boards together with. I am inexperienced with wood work but I have a friend with some handyman experience that is willing to help and will provide tooling and assistance. Any details/advice you could spare for me to build a stand similar to yours?

Thanks,

saltrecruit
I'm actually about to start building a new stand for my 60 cube. I took the Solana down recently. I used neodymium magnets that a ordered online. I can't remember the thickness but they are about as big around as a quarter. I drilled holes for them using a hole saw bit, put them in and put epoxy over them. A good tool to have to put the boards together is a kregg pocket hole jig. Look it up. If you search around you will find all kinds of ways to build the frame using 2x4's. That part isn't very hard just make sure everything is very square. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Current Tank Info: 34g Mixed Reef Solana (2 years old). 12g jbj nanocube dx (retired at 2 years old)
kevantheman35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2014, 11:17 AM   #53
saltrecruit
Registered Member

Kevan's 34G Tank Stand

Kevan!! Can I please have the plans that you used to build your stand!? It is gorgeous! I would love to have one like it! If you're interested in selling one or in maybe sharing your plans that would be so awesome!! Thanks!!

-Saltrecruit

Unread 11/10/2014, 11:20 AM   #54
saltrecruit
Registered Member

Hey! Sorry! New to the whole forum thing! Thank you so much!! I will let you know how it goes!! I am new to the hobby and am anxious to make sure everything is the best it can be!

-Saltrecruit

Unread 11/10/2014, 11:24 AM   #55
saltrecruit
Registered Member

Kevan's 34G Tank Stand

Any interest in selling your old stand? I just don't know how you made the cabinets and it may be way easier for me to buy yours than to build my own! The sooner I get this stand the sooner I can get my water cycled and get some coral's growing! Thanks again for the help!!

-Saltrecruit

Unread 11/22/2014, 12:37 PM   #56
Bontrager
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orm Embar View Post
Your tank is really nice! Is that purple coral (#3) a Ricordea, an anemone, or something else?

I read in a different thread that high magnesium can shelp with Bryopsis, but I would have to reread the thread for specifics.

Agree that the Bubble Magus HOB is a lot of skimmer - the one I'm considering for my 38 is a Reef Octopus BH-90, with about half of the air draw of yours. Then again, I only plan on using it for cycling and emergencies, with macroalgae providing the usual filtration along with live rock/sand (I prefer skimmerless systems as you get more feather dusters/sponges/et cetera).

Question, why do you feel that "skimerless" allows for more sponges, feather dusters, etc. Also is the macroalgae in your sump can it stay alive without a light on it thank.

just trying to learn as much as possible.

Thank you

Bontrager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2014, 11:11 PM   #57
geldof
Registered Member

Another option is to take all that stuff out of the back of your solana and drill an overflow. It will give you a total volume of roughly 41 gallons and way more useable space(especially front to back) and additional sump volume of 6-15 gallons. I did with mine and have a total system volume of 51 gallons and a lot better overall stability.

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon SPS Cube
geldof is offline   Reply With Quote