kilroy217
Registered Member

hitchiker ID

anybody know what this is?

kilroy217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2009, 11:04 PM   #2
docklink
Registered Member

Specifically, no. Based on the ridge and thickening centrally and what appears to be eye stalks at the left end of the thing, I'd guess some type of nudibranch though it could be a flat worm. I'd leave it alone unless you see it attacking something more desirable.

Current Tank Info: 50G RR Acrylic / DIY 20 gal sump-fuge, Home brew lights (2-175w 10K MH mogul with 2-54w T5 actinic+, ES5-2, mag 9.5, SCWD, TBS "package", true Perculas, RBTA, assorted zoo's, SPS
docklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2009, 08:45 AM   #3
kilroy217
Registered Member

I was thinking possibly lettuce nudibranch? It does have what appear to be eyes on the left side. For scale, it's about an inch long and maybe a quarter of an inch wide. Thanks for the help

Unread 03/08/2009, 11:30 AM   #4
divemonster
Registered Member

it doesn't look like a lettuce nudibranch. here is a pic of the lettuce nudibranch in my tank

I think is a polyclad flatworm.

sed scribe ut potes et nichil a te amplius exigetur

Current Tank Info: 65g tank and refugium/sump, TBS Reef; 34g Hex w/10g custom refugium, TBS Reef
divemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2009, 05:50 AM   #5
kilroy217
Registered Member

If it is a polyclad flatworm, is that good or bad?

Unread 03/09/2009, 06:50 AM   #6
noahm
Registered Member

The nudis generally will have some kind of defined 'head' and 'tail' ends. If you can see a head or structure at one end and a tuft, bump, or permanent structure about 3/4 toward the tail, you probably have a nudi or sea slug of some sort (there are too many kinds). The flatworms generally have a very loosely defined shape, sometimes a recognizable head and tail, and lack near as much of a raised central area though that is not definite. Long story short, get a better pic

Here are some Carribean flattys

http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/...ar_gall01.html

Some can be mollusk predatory i.e. clam killers, but just keep an eye on it. catch it w/a credit card and net or your hand if you need to.

noahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2009, 06:45 PM   #7
Guygettnby
Registered Member

anybody find out what this is? i just found an extremely large one of these in my live rock.

Guygettnby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2009, 07:09 PM   #8
noahm
Registered Member

it is going to be a nudibranch or large flatworm. Very difficult to ID specifically unless it is one of the very obvious types. How large... pic? Some are harmless, others not. Most eat a specific thing. I would catch it, take a pic, and post it on the inverts forum if you really want ID. There is also a Sea Slug Forum that covers all of these critters.

http://www.seaslugforum.net/

Unread 04/13/2009, 07:51 PM   #9
JJP161
Registered Member

I found something along these lines in my tank too. It would only come out at night and could move very fast. You could almost see through the thing. We never found out what is was for sure so I finally removed it to be on the safe side.

JJP161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2009, 05:55 PM   #10
noahm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JJP161
I found something along these lines in my tank too. It would only come out at night and could move very fast. You could almost see through the thing. We never found out what is was for sure so I finally removed it to be on the safe side.
Fast moving....most likely polyclad flatworm. Nudis tend to stick like a slug to the surface. The flattys can undulate/swim over it quite easily.