Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/28/2009, 03:58 PM   #1
gauma369
Registered Member

use of UV sterilizer on reef tank

Ok so Im changing my 120 FOWLR into a reef tank getting used T-5 fixture from a friend. Im pretty excited. Back to topic and question I have. Is it really bad to run a UV sterilizer on a reef tank? I have heard pros and cons. My friend has run one for 2 years now and loves it. I dont have one running now but I have slight algae problem. Nitrates and Phosphates are low but I seem to get algae growing on glass and mostly the overflow boxes. I had bought a couple more turbo snails which have taken a big dent out of it but it continues to grow even after like 3 months. No like I said it isnt bad but I would love to clean it up a bit and be more like the pictures of everyones tank on here. I know UV sterilizers kill all bacteria including the good stuff but how much good bacteria is really just floating in the water column? I thought most of it was in the substrate and live rock. I have a bare bottom tank so i don't have the substrate but I have live rock. So it comes down to is it bad to run a UV sterilizer on a reef tank?

gauma369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2009, 04:08 PM   #2
sc reefer
Registered Member

I think you should run it on the tank for the first few months to control algae, then let the tank take care of itself. Also run it as you are adding new fish to kill any possible parasites.

sc reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2009, 04:39 PM   #3
gauma369
Registered Member

the tank has been running for about 3 months but everything was transfered from my 75 gal which was running over 3 yrs FOWLR.

gauma369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2009, 07:06 PM   #4
Chi6488
Registered Member

I will let you know about 2 months. I unplugged mine today and will see how things go. My nitrates have been out of control and I have turned water over at least 5 times. Maybe the UV is killing EVERYTHING

110 Gal 30" tall tank; 2 @ 250 Watt MH 14k ; Reef Octopus extreme 160; 1/10 jbj chiller; 4 stage ro then into dual di resin; MP40W powerhead. 20" zebra eel, yellow tang, two clowns, red hawkfish, yellow wrasse and bubble coral; carpet anemone

34 gallon red sea max with 3 sea horses for the wife

90 Gal with 4 urchins, big snail, 2 sargeant majors caught from the keys. Horseshoe crab and about 5 starfish from gulf of mexico
Chi6488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2009, 07:12 PM   #5
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi6488 View Post
I will let you know about 2 months. I unplugged mine today and will see how things go. My nitrates have been out of control and I have turned water over at least 5 times. Maybe the UV is killing EVERYTHING
IMO its probably killing very little. They process such little water in gph that they are not as affective as the product sellors state them to be
I you have one already, sure run it but if you do not have one it is an expensive tool for what it actually accomplishes

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2009, 07:25 PM   #6
sedor
Registered Member

The lower end UV sterilizers are worthless IMO, however if your going to run one, I agree with sc_reefer in that it should only be run some of the time...Its a nice tool to have in an emergency as well.

Unread 11/28/2009, 07:47 PM   #7
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

what bad comes from running it all the time ? i have a 160 watt unit and wanted to use it on my new 300 gal tank but not if it will hurt anything .what are the actual cons of the unit ?
thanks Dave

iamwrasseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2009, 12:05 AM   #8
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwrasseman View Post
what bad comes from running it all the time ? i have a 160 watt unit and wanted to use it on my new 300 gal tank but not if it will hurt anything .what are the actual cons of the unit ?
thanks Dave
nothing really other then a false sense of security that it is actually doing something

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 11/29/2009, 12:12 AM   #9
leafeater
Registered Member

I bought a tank from a lady who was running a 9w coralife. I added all her fish to my tank and never used her sterilizer. The fish look great at least the ones that made it past the carpet.

leafeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2009, 12:21 AM   #10
sedor
Registered Member

Quote:
thanks Dave
I've never used a UV sterilizer so I can't speak from personal experience, but the supposed "cons" of using a sterilizer is that is kills...well pretty much anything that goes through it, including the beneficial bacteria your tank relies on. Of course very little of this bacteria actually resides in the water column, so on second thoughts keeping it on 24/7 may not be all that detrimental.

Unread 11/29/2009, 12:27 AM   #11
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedor View Post
I've never used a UV sterilizer so I can't speak from personal experience, but the supposed "cons" of using a sterilizer is that is kills...well pretty much anything that goes through it, including the beneficial bacteria your tank relies on. Of course very little of this bacteria actually resides in the water column, so on second thoughts keeping it on 24/7 may not be all that detrimental.

In the context of this post---I would worry about a uv sterilzer if I were using a refugium to produce copopods etc for fish in the display tank,
In that case I would run it on the drainside of the sump so it didn't interfer with copopods returning to the display tank.

Unread 11/29/2009, 12:31 AM   #12
sedor
Registered Member

Good point, way to call me out for not reading all the way through

Unread 11/29/2009, 01:26 AM   #13
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

so its not detrimental in any other way ? seems like a good security blanket for parasites and algea ,not to mention any live pathogen that resides in the water .
thanks Dave

Unread 11/29/2009, 04:51 AM   #14
ironwill723
Registered Member

I run two TurboTwist 12x's on my 220g. 72watts of UV. I never have had any disease problems.

ironwill723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2009, 07:03 AM   #15
seafloor09
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedor View Post
You contradicted yourself there????

If you want it for desease control it s/b on 24/7

If for algea then it can be part time.

But if you have it I would just leave it on.

seafloor09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2009, 03:21 PM   #16
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

cool so theres not really any bad side effects ?
thanks Dave

Unread 11/29/2009, 03:26 PM   #17
jenglish
Marquis de Carabas

not besides an electric bill

THere is little "good" bacteria in the water column. I have heard some say it kills corraline algae spores... If I thought it did that effectively I would own one!

“Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse" Pierre-Simon Laplace

I should want to cook him a simple meal, but I shouldn't want to cut into him, to tear the flesh, to wear the flesh, to be born unto new worlds where his flesh becomes my key.

Current Tank Info: broken and dry
jenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2009, 03:29 PM   #18
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

awesome thanks for the words of direction !
Dave

Unread 11/29/2009, 03:30 PM   #19
FISHSTICK745
Registered Member

I ran one for about 9 months, took it off line about 2 months ago and nothing different. Maybe they are good for QT. I don't know.

FISHSTICK745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2009, 01:48 PM   #20
wooden_reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
thanks Dave
You need to change the UV bulb more often.

wooden_reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2009, 01:51 PM   #21
wooden_reefer
Registered Member

Thinking that most UV sized to kill waterborne bacteria will kill everything, even just waterborne, is alarmist.

In general, UV cannot kill enough ich to be effective to limit its spread. It cannot kill off most larger organisms to eliminate them in a tank.

Unread 11/30/2009, 04:55 PM   #22
ordy1
Registered Member

Depends on who you talk to.

UV will kill most pathogens that are in the water column. It will kill them by scrambling their chromosomes. But only if the flow rate is slow enough to increase the dwell time, thereby increasing the UV dosage, and the intensity is large enough. With that said most aguarium UV's won't kill ich, copepods, pretty much anything bigger than mold spores. Your chances of killing some of these organisms increase as the flow rate decreases and the zap dosage increases. It will not totaly irradicate all these organisms. It will help though. It will help irradicate most algae spores in the water column. If your fish contract ick, and you want the UV to get rid of the ick, nothing short of running the fish through the sterilizer will get rid of the ick.(snark)

For the unit to work slow down the flow rate( don't buy most manufacturers claims of running a 25 watt sterilizer at 800 gph. The bad organisms will giggle and thank you for the free tan) I run mine at around 175 gph. Clean the quartz sleeve at least once a month. Change the bulb at least every six to seven months( especially if you run it 24/7 like I do).

ordy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2009, 06:01 PM   #23
chow
Registered Member

You also have to consider that using a UV sterilizer will possible kill beneficial bacteria in the water column as well as any "potential" bad ones.

chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2009, 06:27 PM   #24
Luck_of_the_Dra
Registered Member

I have a 40 watt on my return side. It's a little insurance on free floating parasites. Once a month I turn it off for a copopod bloom, then turn it back on.

Unread 11/30/2009, 06:30 PM   #25
wooden_reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chow View Post
You also have to consider that using a UV sterilizer will possible kill beneficial bacteria in the water column as well as any "potential" bad ones.
I think you don't have to.

I think beneficial bacteria are not found waterborne in significant numbers.