Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/07/2019, 10:23 AM   #1
PingG25
Registered Member

Help!!! Algae taking over my tank

My reef tank is rapidly being overtaken by a brown hair/dust like algae. Iím fast running out of ideas and the tanks is quickly being overtaken. At the same time My corals are struggling given the irritation. Not sure what to do.very concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PingG25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2019, 10:38 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Well..
Please post details like
-Age of system
-Details about your system (tank size and much more)
-Please list any/all currently tested parameters like nitrates/phosphates/alk/cal/salinity,etc...
-Please post a clear picture of this algae (note turn the blue channel of your lights off or way down to improve color rendition if applicable)

The more information you provide the better your chance of addressing the issue..
So far the information provided is insufficient for anything more than a total wild guess..

Old 01/07/2019, 11:23 AM   #3
PingG25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
Well..
Please post details like
-Age of system
-Details about your system (tank size and much more)
-Please list any/all currently tested parameters like nitrates/phosphates/alk/cal/salinity,etc...
-Please post a clear picture of this algae (note turn the blue channel of your lights off or way down to improve color rendition if applicable)

The more information you provide the better your chance of addressing the issue..
So far the information provided is insufficient for anything more than a total wild guess..

The system is 5-6 years old. Itís a 149 litres. No Sump just a filter. Lighting Orphek Atlantik 4.

Nitrates 0.5
Phosphate 0.015
Salinity 1025
Temp 75.6
Magnesium 1300
Calcium 450
Hardness 9.2

Main inhabitants Clowns (pair), cardinal Bangai (1), Watchman Goby (1), Black Tailed Wrasse (1). CuC 6 hermit crabs. 2 Mexican Turbo Snails, Tuxedo Urchin (1). I did try and Algae Blenny but the Gobi had it before you could say boo.

Old 01/07/2019, 11:33 AM   #4
PingG25
Registered Member

Not the best pictures. This 100% white and red. No blues.

Old 01/07/2019, 07:37 PM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

I don't see anything in those parameters that seems very out of line, assuming that hardness is in dKH. Have there been any relatively recent changes? There are a lot of issues that can lead to algal growth. Lighting and feeding issues are fairly common.

Old 01/08/2019, 09:05 PM   #6
reefgeezer
Registered Member

I had an issue with tan to light brown fuzzy algae like organism. It sucked. I finally figured out it was a type of Cyano. I did a few things to get things under control.

1. Stopped carbon dosing.
2. Did a 25% water change, then did a single treatment of chemi-clean, then did a 20% water change 48 hours later. That put a big dent in the Cyano immediately but didn't get it all.
3. Scrubbed, blasted, rubbed, and whatever else I could do to dislodge and export the remaining Cyano... Lots of elbow grease.
4. Allowed nutrients to rise enough to get a little hair algae... really.
5. Started a small amount of GFO and have been changing it weekly along with water changes to limit hair algae growth.

I now get a little hair algae that the clean crew handles easily but I don't have any of the crappy fuzzy brown stuff. I'm not sure you have the same. It may just be Diatoms. However, the corals I see in the pictures would certainly fair better if you allowed nutrients to rise some.

Current Tank Info: In-process, 90 Gallon SPS Reef
reefgeezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2019, 11:14 AM   #7
PingG25
Registered Member

Thanks. Showing my ignorance here. Do I assume you mean Nitrate and Phosphate. If so, to what level?

Old 01/09/2019, 02:50 PM   #8
reefgeezer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PingG25 View Post
Thanks. Showing my ignorance here. Do I assume you mean Nitrate and Phosphate. If so, to what level?
Yea, nitrates and phosphates. The best levels are debatable though. I do test these levels, but I never base decisions on the numbers alone. I do 10 to 20 gallon water changes and change the GFO (1/4 cup of Rowaphos in a reactor @ 120 GPH) when I see hair algae start to increase or if I need to clean the glass more than every 3 or 4 days.

My tank usually tests about .03 ppm phosphate with undetectable nitrate on a Salifert kit... BUT... there is now always a little hair algae present so I know both levels are really higher.

I looks like you have a lot of soft and LPS corals in your tank and it appears pretty mature. You should be able to let nutrients rise without much issue once you get rid of your problem organism. You might need to add some algae eating critters like snails, crabs, and maybe an urchin to deal with hair algae once the nutrients rise a little.

Current Tank Info: In-process, 90 Gallon SPS Reef
reefgeezer is online now   Reply With Quote