Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/05/2012, 01:12 PM   #26
saltyjo
Registered Member

Day 9 and my 6 little clowns are doing well. I noticed orange pigmentation and curled tails beginning meta! I am really looking forward to my next batch!

saltyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2012, 07:00 AM   #27
saltyjo
Registered Member

A little set back this morning I lost one of the 6 last night. Sigh I figured they were entering meta by the way they were acting. All of them were swimming head up tails curled. Yesterday was the first I noticed orange pigmentation and a tiny bit of white. When you have numbers this low one loss is so sad. On a brighter note my next batch is lookin good and I am all set with tank number 2 for Tuesday night!

Unread 05/06/2012, 02:57 PM   #28
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyjo View Post
A little set back this morning I lost one of the 6 last night. Sigh I figured they were entering meta by the way they were acting. All of them were swimming head up tails curled. Yesterday was the first I noticed orange pigmentation and a tiny bit of white. When you have numbers this low one loss is so sad. On a brighter note my next batch is lookin good and I am all set with tank number 2 for Tuesday night!
Hang in there JO, another couple days you should be about out of the woods. You've done well and learned alot I'm sure, next time should be easier.

If you do not test for it, DON'T dose it.

Indiana INDMAS Member
Sport507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2012, 03:07 PM   #29
saltyjo
Registered Member

Thanks Sport, I did learn a lot! I added just a few drops of bbs today and watched as one of the clowns investigated them. He swam away from them then turned around and snapped a couple of them up. Then the other four came over and hesitantly did the same. It is cool they learn from each other and they are only fish. It is kinda like us people learning from each other.

Unread 05/06/2012, 03:35 PM   #30
lmsmith
Registered Member

This is so exciting! I hope your fishing on Tuesday for the next batch goes well - it's really interesting following along.

Good luck, and keep us updated

lmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2012, 07:18 PM   #31
saltyjo
Registered Member

Day 11 and the 5 remaining perculas seemed to have really grown today! They are more orange and their shape seems to be changing. I have noticed what seemed to be developing dorsal and anal fins. They are swimming a bit differently and dont seem as fast and darty as they were. They swim now with their head up and tail curled to the side when they are swimming. Otherwise I have observed them just hanging in the water. They are eating rotifers, bbs and Top Dressed Otohime marine diet that I got in today.

Unread 05/08/2012, 10:20 AM   #32
Enavas
Registered Member

Nice. Seems like its doing good.

Enavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2012, 07:43 PM   #33
saltyjo
Registered Member

Getting ready to go fishing again tonight. I am just waiting on the hatch to happen. First I turned all the powerheads, and sump off, next all the lights went off at scheduled time. I ensured I had everything ready. I previously prepared a 10 gallon tank with heater and airstone, this tank is positioned next to my DT with a drip line from the DT, to the fry tank and a drip line from the fry tank, to the sump. I took a gallon of water from the DT and added to nursery and have 2 gallons of freshly made saltwater on standby to readd to sump when harvesting fry is complete. Have flashlight and white catch cup ready. Now all I have to do is wait 30-40 minutes and I will go catch some baby clown fish.

Unread 05/08/2012, 08:11 PM   #34
Lukel
Registered Member

Quote:
Getting ready to go fishing again tonight. I am just waiting on the hatch to happen. First I turned all the powerheads, and sump off, next all the lights went off at scheduled time. I ensured I had everything ready. I previously prepared a 10 gallon tank with heater and airstone, this tank is positioned next to my DT with a drip line from the DT, to the fry tank and a drip line from the fry tank, to the sump. I took a gallon of water from the DT and added to nursery and have 2 gallons of freshly made saltwater on standby to readd to sump when harvesting fry is complete. Have flashlight and white catch cup ready. Now all I have to do is wait 30-40 minutes and I will go catch some baby clown fish.
Good Luck!!!

Current Tank Info: 220 gal sps dominated
Lukel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2012, 08:43 PM   #35
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

Quote:
Good luck Jo and catch a bunch. Just watch water levels with the drip lines and don't get sleepy for a while. My fry tanks are 25 feet from my DT and I don't use drip lines only to replace water. You have seen ClownfishSushi's method not a bad idea either but I'm not set up for it and don't feel I need it.

Indiana INDMAS Member
Unread 05/09/2012, 06:03 AM   #36
saltyjo
Registered Member

Good catch last night, I dont know if my clutches are just small but I think I have around 35fry. I am still happy that is way more than 5! It is so hard to get an accurate count.
Sport~about ClownfishSushi's method, I am all set up and it is running well I think but I am still not too sure. I do understand the method behind it, always keeping water parameters good, however, I am worried that all my little rotifers will also drip out. Not good! I have it set up with a very slow drip right now and am home today to ensure that nothing goes wrong. I can only imagine losing all my DT water or dripping all the fry tank into the sump. I have both airlines duct taped securely but I am still a bit nervous.
My fry tank is right next to my DT just positioned a little lower on a step stool, and a funny thing happened this morning. The lights came on and I could swear that all of my fish were on the side by the fry tank checking it out!

Unread 05/09/2012, 09:17 AM   #37
Bk2Reefin
Moved On

pretty cool ! congrats on the fry.

Never really looked into or thought about raising clownfish, Ive had eggs show up and disappear but that was about it. So what do you do if a bunch make it? Sell em? keep em?
donate somewhere?

Bk2Reefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2012, 11:01 AM   #38
saltyjo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk2Reefin View Post
pretty cool ! congrats on the fry.

Never really looked into or thought about raising clownfish, Ive had eggs show up and disappear but that was about it. So what do you do if a bunch make it? Sell em? keep em?
donate somewhere?
I never thought about raising them either until my clowns that I have had 5 years started to lay eggs regularly. I have been doing research since Thanksgiving when I found their first clutch and I wanted to see if I could do it.
The whole process has been really cool. I have 5 right now that are just starting to look like clownfish. They are on day 13. I want to see if I can get my numbers up with this new batch. As far as what to do with them, well after 4-5 months I will probabally give some away and I will probabally sell some of them to a couple of the LFS in the Rome/Syracuse NY area. If you are thinking about raising a clutch, it is a bit of work but really rewarding.

Unread 05/10/2012, 07:13 PM   #39
saltyjo
Registered Member

Day 14

My 5 little clowns are 14 days old! They all are eating well and lookin somewhat like real clownfish. At least they are swimming like it as they get used to their new shapped little bodies they are "wobble swimming" versus darting about like the larvae that they were. Still eathing bbs and
As for my new batch, I was using the drop by drop method that I learned from Clownfish Sushi, until I had to siphon out as many dead little guys as I did using the method I did the first time. I turned the airline tubing off to try to contain as many rots in the water as possible. I am not quite sure why I am losing so many in the first couple of days the only thing I can conclude is that they may be "thin larvae" and are not as strong. This is only my clownfishes 3rd viable clutch.that hasnt been eaten so that may be the answer. Lights remain dim over the tank, walls are blacked out temp is 80F air stone is bubbling, plenty of lively rotifers in the tank with guts filled with nanno.

Unread 05/13/2012, 07:44 AM   #40
saltyjo
Registered Member

My Female Clown

Unread 05/13/2012, 08:20 AM   #41
saltyjo
Registered Member

2nd Batch

My second batch of babies is doing about the same as the first if not a bit worse. They have made it to day 5 however there are only 4 Fry
That only make 9 total. My first 5 are doing great! Here is one of the 5 looking orange and investigating the ammonia badge.

Unread 05/13/2012, 08:25 AM   #42
saltyjo
Registered Member

My display tank and attached larvae tank.

Unread 05/13/2012, 09:13 AM   #43
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

Nice pictures Jo. That female is an onyx clown, does the male look like that too? You should get some nice looking fry.

Indiana INDMAS Member
Unread 05/13/2012, 04:17 PM   #44
saltyjo
Registered Member

Yes, my male looks just like the female only a bit smaller. I got them from a LFS that went out of business and he "made me a deal" $100 for the pair, 5 years ago. I knew very little about the hobby then. At the store the owner told me they usually go for a lot more, they were the more docile of all the clowns and they were a mated pair.
I was really hoping for a whole tank full of beautiful babies like yours but Hatch 1=5 and Hatch 2=4. Should I try for a third while I still have tons of rotifers?

Unread 05/13/2012, 06:10 PM   #45
siobhan2086
Moved On

Really neat! I would travel to Rome to buy some home grown clowns Sounds like a lot of work. will be following. Baby clowns are the cutest thing I've ever seen

siobhan2086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2012, 06:27 PM   #46
saltyjo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhan2086 View Post
Really neat! I would travel to Rome to buy some home grown clowns Sounds like a lot of work. will be following. Baby clowns are the cutest thing I've ever seen
They are the cutest! I noticed tonight that my first batch is just now faintly getting their head stripe. I only wish I had more survive from each batch. It is a bit of work but has been a really cool experience. I got a 4 gallon pico tank for Mother's day, so I think I have a plan for 2 of my little guys, the rest I will be looking for good homes in the future to send them to. I will keep you in mind

Unread 05/14/2012, 05:53 PM   #47
saltyjo
Registered Member

Batch 3!?

My Clowns set a record this cycle. They laid eggs this after noon. They went 6 days in between hatch and laying eggs and not the usual 3-4 days. I hope since this took a little longer in between that the eggs have better hatch rate and I have a bigger larvae rate. Yes this crazy reefer is going to try to sustain 3 clutches at the same time.
Clutch 1 has 5 fry that are in Day 18
Clutch 2 has 4 fry that are in Day 6
Clutch 3 has 8 days til hatch night- Fingers crossed 3rd time is a charm!

Unread 05/14/2012, 06:54 PM   #48
Lukel
Registered Member

Quote:
My Clowns set a record this cycle. They laid eggs this after noon. They went 6 days in between hatch and laying eggs and not the usual 3-4 days. I hope since this took a little longer in between that the eggs have better hatch rate and I have a bigger larvae rate. Yes this crazy reefer is going to try to sustain 3 clutches at the same time.
Clutch 1 has 5 fry that are in Day 18
Clutch 2 has 4 fry that are in Day 6
Clutch 3 has 8 days til hatch night- Fingers crossed 3rd time is a charm!
Wow.... you are a sucker for punishement

Unread 05/14/2012, 07:03 PM   #49
saltyjo
Registered Member

Luke, How many clutches have you raised? you have had amazing sucess! How are your babies doing?

Unread 05/15/2012, 09:58 AM   #50
Lukel
Registered Member

Quote:
Luke, How many clutches have you raised? you have had amazing sucess! How are your babies doing?

I don't wanna say, but it's my second clutch, there doing good other than the fin roy I am dealing with..