Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/17/2008, 08:05 PM   #1
shawn1111111111
Registered Member

Ike killed my power and my tank need help!!!!!!!!!

So i live in hurricane Ikes path and lost power to my tank so it is gone. I want to start it back up and i have all this live rock that sat in foul water and is not sitting outside. If I dont have to buy new live rock it would not cost me much to start it back up, but i dont know where to start on cleaning and getting the live rock ready to use. Please if anyone has had to do this please let me know what to do.. Also i had a small algea problem at the time and would like to start the new tank algea free so what should i use to clean the tank, protein skimmer, and everything else? I heard veneger, but was not sure if that kills algea or just cleans the tank and equip. thanks for any info in these areas.
Shawn

shawn1111111111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2008, 08:18 PM   #2
nivram
Registered Member

Wouldn't cooking your rock help to kill off the unwanted algae off your live rock?

nivram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2008, 08:27 PM   #3
shawn1111111111
Registered Member

not sure and if it will i would have no problem doing that

shawn1111111111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2008, 08:38 PM   #4
Agu
Registered Member

Recure your rock in a tub with circulation, temp control and no/minimal light. Do regular waterchanges and use the old water to rinse any waste scrubbed off the old rock. When you can go a couple of weeks with no ammonia/nitrite the rock is OK for restarting the tank. Realize that this way some life will survive but maybe not all of it is what you want.

Once you aquascape I'd recommend at least a few more weeks to be sure everything is OK. Anything that died deep in the rock may take a while to rear it's ugly head.

Current Tank Info: 30 gallon half cube and 5.5, both reef tanks
Agu is offline   Reply With Quote