Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/06/2015, 02:06 PM   #2376
reefknight
Registered Member

It will kill the chaeto, this I know for a fact. The nudibranch, I can't say for certain. I would hazard to say yes and QT it as to not lose it.

Current Tank Info: DSA Neo 185gal - Coming Soon!
reefknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/06/2015, 09:00 PM   #2377
bertoni
RC Mod

I'm not sure about the slug. I think it should be okay, but we don't know the toxic dose of the chemical for that species.

Unread 08/06/2015, 09:03 PM   #2378
Threshold
Registered Member

Thanks -- I'll qt the slug and chaeto.

The slug eats many varieties of algae. Think the chaeto is one? If not, I may keep one piece of live rock with algae in the qt, too.

75 Gallon DT, 30 Gallon Sump, Vertex Skimmer, Reef Breeders Photon LEDs
7ish types of coral, 2 clownfish, a RBTA, and a MIA lettuce sea slug
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2015, 10:22 AM   #2379
Mikefromaz
Registered Member

Threshold - my experience with marine algae fix was a disaster. As I researched it over the next week's after my tank crash, I discovered more than a few people with the same experience. Inshort....the algae killer works TOO well. It killed off the beneficial competition for nutrients at the microscopic level leaving my tank wide open to dinoflagellate over run. If you have a chance and do read back about two months. Look up the thread detailing other marine algaefix. Seriously, I have been a reefer since 1998 and never had a hint of dinos before my recent experience trying to rid my tank of HA and the results of Algaefix. Bad news and tons of work getting the dinosaur under control

Mikefromaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2015, 10:29 AM   #2380
ostrow
It's Dr. Goodluck Himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefromaz View Post
Threshold - my experience with marine algae fix was a disaster. As I researched it over the next week's after my tank crash, I discovered more than a few people with the same experience. Inshort....the algae killer works TOO well. It killed off the beneficial competition for nutrients at the microscopic level leaving my tank wide open to dinoflagellate over run. If you have a chance and do read back about two months. Look up the thread detailing other marine algaefix. Seriously, I have been a reefer since 1998 and never had a hint of dinos before my recent experience trying to rid my tank of HA and the results of Algaefix. Bad news and tons of work getting the dinosaur under control
I had a rare Cladophoropsis, not bryopsis, and the Cladophoropsis ate the algaefix as a preferred diet and really exploded. Meanwhile the algaefix killed all else at what ended up being a triple dose.

But I was fighting a losing battle vs that Cladophoropsis. Don't go triple dose unless your alternative is drain/bleach/restart. That's where I was at....

Current Tank Info: 156G "brick", 150 sump and 75 fuge replaces Fire, Destruction, Sad :(
ostrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2015, 10:53 AM   #2381
Mikefromaz
Registered Member

I am a bit of a fanatic when it comes to dosing etc. I use calibrated measuring curettes, syringes and such. A week of spot on following directions cost me 4 stonies and a couple of dozen inverts before all was said and done.

Mikefromaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2016, 03:01 PM   #2382
Brieninsac
Registered Member

AlgaeFix Marine to control Hair Algae

I recently starting using Algaefix too. Today was my second dose with no noticeable results so far. But from what I've read it takes 2-3 weeks to show any signs of receding. I wish the instructions addressed the effects of using GFO/Carbon and/or skimmer during treatment. So many of the posts here have anecdotal evidence of the effectiveness with or without additional preventive measures.

Until I discover otherwise I'll kill my GFO/Carbon reactor and skimmer for 24-hours after treatment.

Unread 03/31/2017, 06:40 AM   #2383
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

I know this is an old thread, but I'm dosing algeafix for GHA and am having trouble finding if I should take my activated carbon offline or not. Also, is it okay to leave the skimmer running during treatment? I've read many people don't have results for 3+ weeks, and I'd hate to leave my skimmer offline that long. There's nothing in the instructions that says anything about GAC or skimmer one way or the other. I want to give the algaefix the best chance to work.

ReefsandGeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2017, 07:07 AM   #2384
ostrow
It's Dr. Goodluck Himself

Forget this stuff.

Fluconazole is by far more preferred and more effective.

Current Tank Info: 156G "brick", 150 sump and 75 fuge replaces Fire, Destruction, Sad :(
ostrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2017, 07:16 AM   #2385
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

I actually recently saw a long thread on that that seems like its effective with no side effects. Seems a bit pricy though. I had already ordered algeafix before I saw the thread on fluconazole so I figure I'll try the algeafix for a while first, and if that doesn't work well enough, I'll try the fluconazole. budget is tight with a baby on the way, so I have to watch my hobby spending closely for a while.

Unread 05/21/2017, 04:15 PM   #2386
scuzy
Registered Member

Algaefix works fort regular hair algae. Flucanazole is more pest ones like bryopsis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2017, 07:01 AM   #2387
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

Thanks, I've been using it and it seems to be working pretty well for me. I still have some GHA, but it is more easily manageable as it's easier to scrub off the rock, and much slower growing. I've read really good things about Flucanazole. If I have a tougher algea in the future I'll probably give it a try. Algeafix still remains pretty effective IMO though, at least for the algea I have.

Unread 05/23/2017, 08:48 AM   #2388
wildman926
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devastator007 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I'm dosing algeafix for GHA and am having trouble finding if I should take my activated carbon offline or not. Also, is it okay to leave the skimmer running during treatment? I've read many people don't have results for 3+ weeks, and I'd hate to leave my skimmer offline that long. There's nothing in the instructions that says anything about GAC or skimmer one way or the other. I want to give the algaefix the best chance to work.
Yes, take your GAC offline. It will only remove the AlgaeFix. You can run your skimmer though.

The search function actually works quite well!!

Tanks:Planet Aquarium 150g LPS, Planet Aquarium 90g Softie
wildman926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2017, 04:40 AM   #2389
JWClark
Registered Member

Just updating this thread to document that I successfully used this product to rid my tank of a budding Dictyota population--a blue morph and a brown morph. I did NOT remove carbon, skimmer, or GFO during the treatment. Should state that GFO was started at the same time I started treatment as I took my ARID offline.

Took four weeks to completely eradicate and seemed to start working immediately. Don't think it really killed the algae, but weakened/destroyed the holdfasts. The day after the first treatment I noticed pieces of Dictyota floating around the tank and going into the sump. Pieces were then caught by the filter pad I have before the return chamber (don't use the stock reefer filter socks, instead cut a piece of filter pad that I lay on the bubble trap and replace weekly).

Not sure if the pieces broke off on their own or were the work of the blue tuxedo, who kept collecting more for his camouflage, or the sally lightfoot feeding. There were no adverse side effects in corals or inverts. However, every time I dosed, the urchin would release from the surface he was on. He would immediately right himself then go about his business.

Dosed 10ml every three days for four weeks. Total water volume of 100gal, give or take.

Current Tank Info: Reefer 450 seed tank for the retirement 315gal Reef Savvy build.
JWClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2020, 11:49 PM   #2390
Posseidon
Registered Member

Yes, you can use Algaefix and UV Sterilizer together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posseidon View Post
Does anyone have a hint if running UV Sterilizer is ok while treating the tank with Algaefix marine?

It's been three days since my first dose and I see some very small changes. There are tiny areas on the rocks which I think got rid of HA. Probably needs more time and dosage. The livestock seems ok. However, my pH has gone up from 8.3 to 8.4 in the last few days. It could be a coincidence. Did anyone notice any pH change?

Just did my second dose.
I know this is a very old post. But, I just wanted to add some info for anyone who searches on this topic. Back then, Algaefix helped me remove all the Hair Algae from my tank. It really works if you use it correctly with caution. And I got to know from API Technical Service that you can use UV Sterilizer when dosing Algaefix. It will not denature the chemical. So, that’s useful info. Use Algaefix to fight what’s attached to rocks and glass, and use UV to fight what’s floating in water.

Just one caution though. When Hair Algae are gone, cyano or dinos might try to take over. That can happen since you took out one of the competition. Be ready to fight them off early or try to increase good bacteria population to avoid them from getting invited

Last edited by Posseidon; 12/22/2020 at 12:13 AM.
Posseidon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ganjero