Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/07/2012, 10:12 AM   #51
bertoni
RC Mod

The pH of RO/DI water doesn't mean much, since the salt will set the pH. RO water also is hard to measure for pH. Our hobbyist meters and kits don't work with purified water due to the low ionic content. What is the TDS of the RO water?

Unread 05/07/2012, 03:18 PM   #52
Mental1
Registered Member

The TDS is zero. My ro water usually measures about 7.5 -- so from a relative standpoint it is high. How does the salt set the pH? I am not sur ehow that works -- there's a ceiling to how high the pH will go?

Current Tank Info: 400g - 65g DT and 180g peninsula DT both drop into basement. 5 tanks plus a QT in the basement.
Mental1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2012, 03:49 PM   #53
rogerwilco357
Registered Member

I posted other issues last week on Red Sea Pro my alk was 14dkh and wacked my ph now trying to get it back in order with the salt i have been using for years Reef Crystals my red dragon suffered darn it and my millepora I think if ever I try other salts it will be a salt that I can mix on the spot to get away from the inconsistencies of pre mixed salts. may cost more for piece of mind

Current Tank Info: 2x2x4 120gal,sump45 gal.RKE controller,ATI Powermodule 8x80watt,1MP20+2MP40,1 mp10,RoyalExclusive Alpha200
rogerwilco357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2012, 10:01 PM   #54
bertoni
RC Mod

The pH of saltwater is determined by the buffering system and by the amount of carbon dioxide in the water. RO at zero TDS has no buffering, so it doesn't participate in the pH. Some salt products mix up to an initial high pH, because they have high-pH components, most likely sodium carbonate, but there could be others. I'm not a chemist. After some aeration, the carbon dioxide level will come into equilibrium with the air, and the pH will be in a fairly small range, comparatively speaking.

It's unlikely that the pH is actually 7.5. Pure water would be right around 7.0, but carbon dioxide will lower that. Our measuring equipment makes some assumptions about the water that it's measuring, and one of those assumptions is that there's at least some buffering capacity or ionic content to the water. RO doesn't qualify. Measuring the pH of purified water takes some special equipment.

Unread 05/08/2012, 06:45 AM   #55
Mental1
Registered Member

So it seems then, that it is impossible to match pH when doing fw dips? Huh? It's been touted forever to match the pH but from what you are saying that's not possible to do???

I also don't believe that, even if I am not getting an accurate reading, the relative difference in pH is real, and that that is going to have an impact on the pH of the mixed water. Struggling here...I am not a chemist either... Randy where are you?

Current Tank Info: 400g - 65g DT and 180g peninsula DT both drop into basement. 5 tanks plus a QT in the basement.
Unread 05/08/2012, 07:22 AM   #56
Mikez1207
MrReef 101

Heys guys...wow this red sea pro salt sure is been talked about alot. Ok here it goes.....i to have red sea pro bought cuz I heard how great it was and all that big talk. Well wen I got it I quickly made my first batch...and guess wat my levels my alk was high (13 dkh) everything else was spot on...i read and read some more, seemed everyone was having same problem. I used water anyways...long story short, my tank is doing great alk is at 10 cal at 420 mag at 1350 my xorals are loving it!! My point is yes it might test high in ur new bucket of water but wen it gets to your dt its wen it matters...if it effects your tank so much you might b making to big of a water change

Current Tank Info: Growing
Mikez1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2012, 07:54 AM   #57
cfredallen
Registered Member

I have never tested it immediately after mixing but I have a batch I mixed 2 days ago that has been circulating in prep for a water change. I just tested and KH is at 10. I have actually found parameters to read low compared to what it claims. Salinity is 1.025 with refractometer and according to the label KH should be 12.2. Cal always reads a little low for me as well should be 450 but always reads around 400-420 on a fresh batch.

Have had no issues with it as far as livestock is concerned. Both of my tanks are doing great with it and I don't do any other additives other than 2 part B-Ionic. Both tanks are mixed reefs and lps and sps all doing great. My chalices, acans and duncans grow like crazy. Can'c comment on SPS growth yet as I just started adding some and has only been a month though the Turquoise Staghorn does seem to have some growth in that time also.

cfredallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2012, 08:12 AM   #58
Mikez1207
MrReef 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfredallen View Post
I have never tested it immediately after mixing but I have a batch I mixed 2 days ago that has been circulating in prep for a water change. I just tested and KH is at 10. I have actually found parameters to read low compared to what it claims. Salinity is 1.025 with refractometer and according to the label KH should be 12.2. Cal always reads a little low for me as well should be 450 but always reads around 400-420 on a fresh batch.

Have had no issues with it as far as livestock is concerned. Both of my tanks are doing great with it and I don't do any other additives other than 2 part B-Ionic. Both tanks are mixed reefs and lps and sps all doing great. My chalices, acans and duncans grow like crazy. Can'c comment on SPS growth yet as I just started adding some and has only been a month though the Turquoise Staghorn does seem to have some growth in that time also.
My montipora is loving it man its got about mmm 1/4 inch growth already since started...dont seem like much but to me thats great...and my coraline is finally coming in...other then a small bump on road I like it andimmakeep using it for a while

Current Tank Info: Growing
Mikez1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2012, 10:17 PM   #59
bertoni
RC Mod

For freshwater dips, you can set the pH of RO/DI water by adding a bit of buffer, like baking soda. I'm not sure that setting the pH accomplishes anything, but once you add some baking soda, it'll have enough ionic content for a pH meter to work, and it'll have enough buffer to have a meaningful pH.

Unread 05/08/2012, 10:34 PM   #60
ange062
Registered Member

I've been using coral pro for many months with no complaints. Any switch can be tough on corals though, especially if anything changes quickly (such add alk or Mg) on the initial change. I'll continue to use it, tank is looking great and all my dosing parameters are dialed in after about a month of frequent testing.

29g AGA Planted FW
ange062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2012, 07:06 PM   #61
yachtdr22
Registered Member

I started to do some research when my 2nd bucket of Red Sea Coral Pro made alot of "fines" and didnt clean up after 24hrs of mixing?
I just tested the 30gal batch :

SG; 1.025 (Refract.)
pH; 8.01 (Digital)
KH; 10.9 (Red Sea Test)
Ca; 400 (Red Sea Test)
MG; 1440 (Red Sea Test)

Not too bad for my system, but off of their mark and indication of POOR QC.
Very disappointing for a "Premium Salt"

But the mix looks like a foggy day

Unread 05/09/2012, 07:31 PM   #62
kissman
Registered Member

Have you mixed up the bucket? I will be making a 20g batch this weekend i will post my results of new bucket

kissman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2012, 08:37 PM   #63
yachtdr22
Registered Member

i just made 30 gal out of a 160 gal bucket..

Oh, i dont really think there is much separation with the salt packed tightly in the plastic bag.... IMHO

Unread 05/09/2012, 09:07 PM   #64
kissman
Registered Member

They do settle and the bucket should be mixed. I roll it on the floor for few minutes and them roll it to where i make the water. I have had zero problems with red sea been using for 3 years. I doubt there is a salt out there reads exactly what they say every time

Unread 05/10/2012, 08:47 AM   #65
RNX CTD
Registered Member

I have to agree red sea is very packed in the bag and bucket, I doubt that rolling it around would help unless someone took some out, what I do is pour it out of the bag into a IO bucket with a o ring then it has room so I can roll it around.

RNX CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2012, 12:50 PM   #66
cfredallen
Registered Member

well if it is an issue with some parts settling out I would think that there would be a large difference between the top and bottom of the bucket but I have seen my tests come up consistently low through the entire bucket. I love the salt and don't plan on changing but the readings do seem to be lower than advertised.

cfredallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2012, 04:03 PM   #67
yachtdr22
Registered Member

what is the best method to get rid of the white coating of dust or "Fines" that have now accumulated on the bottom of my BB tank??? It was easy to get them out of the mixing tub after the mixed water sat stagnant for 24 hrs because it just rinsed out of the bucket.. I have sump with bioballs that look like they have seen a Christmas snow!

any ideas???

Unread 05/10/2012, 07:09 PM   #68
89Foxbody
Registered Member

Always used Reef Crystals, and will continue to do so. I think people get caught up in the designer salts a lot, its basically snake oil.

Unread 05/10/2012, 07:24 PM   #69
kissman
Registered Member

I think it all comes down to finding a salt that fits your tank. I started with Instant Ocean when i went to reef i tried coralife then reef crystals, i then tried seachem reef and then red sea when i started using seachem i realized how horrible coralife and reef crystals was for my tank. My corals opened so much better and had such better growth. Seachem calcium was to high for my tank so i tried red sea coral and i love it for my tank and will probably never change. I have thought about tryimg tropic marin

Unread 05/10/2012, 07:38 PM   #70
agruetz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Foxbody View Post
Always used Reef Crystals, and will continue to do so. I think people get caught up in the designer salts a lot, its basically snake oil.
Thats not a 100% true. I was having a horrible phosphate issue even water changes were not fixing it. Come to find out that it was the salt bucket I had. soon as I mixed up the salt the water would immediately have .08ppm of phosphates. I am not using Seachem's Salinity and it is awesome. No phosphates no algae issue and it mixes 100% clear and is ready for immediate use. Plus I like the lab analysis on the side it mixed exactly at the values on the side.

Unread 05/11/2012, 06:04 AM   #71
Mental1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
For freshwater dips, you can set the pH of RO/DI water by adding a bit of buffer, like baking soda. I'm not sure that setting the pH accomplishes anything, but once you add some baking soda, it'll have enough ionic content for a pH meter to work, and it'll have enough buffer to have a meaningful pH.
The first time I did not buffer the water as it measured 8.3 which matched the tank water. The second time it was 7.5 so I did buffer it. I am still not sure of the impact of having rodi water with high pH as top off water or as the base for mixed salt. Especially given that the Red Sea published parameters are on the high side imho.

Unread 05/13/2012, 05:19 PM   #72
Mental1
Registered Member

Okay -- so it seems after Randy saying it in a lot more words the same thing that you did bertoni -- that the salt is in fact the problem. Well I have changed salt mixes again. I bought a box of instant ocean to use until I decided what to use. Then I decided on the ESV and I just did my first water change with it. We'll see what happens. But after eliminating all other potential causes I am back at the source of my problems including many coral deaths is the Red Sea Salt.

Unread 05/13/2012, 06:17 PM   #73
kissman
Registered Member

I tested my salt again this afternoon before doing my water change and the same mix that read 14 dkh was read 12 dkh today, crazy

Unread 05/13/2012, 07:29 PM   #74
bertoni
RC Mod

I would mix the dry salt as best I could. It might have settled some in shipment.

Unread 06/04/2012, 05:24 AM   #75
Mental1
Registered Member

So I have now switched to the ESV salt and have done about 5 water changes over the last few weeks so close to 200g or half of my water volume. Everything is looking a LOT better. My SPS are coming back, my LPS are looking good. Whatever it was, the change in salt has made a big difference. Fingers crossed.